Hard to start

I think I might sync the throttle bodies just to elminate that possibility.

Maybe drop over to Big O's place and see if he'll let me plug his ecu in my bike, to elminate a bad ecu.

I really think its a fuel delivery problem, but that's just my guess...

How's your battery and/or charging system?
Battery is great.

If the alternator was going bad, I'd think the battery would show signs of not charging. But I really don't know.
It was that comment about the idle dropping when the fan kicked in that got me thinking about electrics. Pretty sure my bike doesn't do that, sounds like there's not enough juice to run the electrical systems (fuel pump?) when everything lights up. I'd try turning on/off high beam as well see what affect that has.

I agree though, if the battery is holding charge, that indicates that the charging system seems to be Ok, but it might be worth taking some measurements of other areas of the electrics to make sure everything else - as well as the battery - is getting the juice it needs when the engine is running.

I hope you figure this out soon.

Check the current on the battery while it is under load (ignition).

Swap the battery with one from a bike that is starting normally and see what the results are.

My wild guess: your electrical system isn't providing enough current under high load (startup) to keep the fuel pump etc. strong. Then, your fan comes on, pulls a couple of amps and stresses the system further, thus providing the fuel pump with less energy to do its job 100%....

I could be wrong, but I just went through something like this with my car.

<!--EDIT|shortBoarder
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154989060 -->

Charles -

If you're riding the bike to work, let me know and I can ride over to SM Airport to try the battery swap (I'm in Venice).

The battery is very strong.

How do I check the alternator?

I will swap my battery with Julie's busa just to rule out the battery.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154993365 -->

Ok found the instructions for checking the charging system.

2 questions;
1)Where is the lighting switch
rock.gif

2)What is the dimmer switch
rock.gif

troubleshoot.jpg

rock.gif

The battery is very strong.
That's what i thought about my situation - I had metered the battery at rest and all seemed perfect, but once there was a load on the battery everything went to hell...
Now all I need is a multi-meter  
biggrin.gif

They shouldn't be too expensive  
tounge.gif

Thanks for the help guys!
you can borrow mine
What time to you work tomorrow.

I'm a 6:15am to 1:15pm at SMO

I'm in the office from 9AM to 8 or 9P, but the office is a 5 minute walk from home, so I'm basically around anytime.

I think I may know your problem. It's simple to check and I don't remember anyone mentioning the fuel tank vent line to see if it is clogged. This in fact will give you the symptoms you are describing. Open the tank cap and see if that helps any. If the vent line is clogged or a kink, your fuel pump will starve and make a weird sound, maybe a little bit of fuel will get by but not enough to start the bike in the first couple of tries. I hope this is the problem....

<!--EDIT|KRUZIN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154998778 -->

I think I may know your problem. It's simple to check and I don't remember anyone mentioning the fuel tank vent line to see if it is clogged. This in fact will give you the symptoms you are describing. Open the tank cap and see if that helps any. If the vent line is clogged or a kink, your fuel pump will starve and make a weird sound, maybe a little bit of fuel will get by but not enough to start the bike in the first couple of tries. I hope this is the problem....
Yeah...I was going to suggest the same...

Yeah...I was going to suggest the same...
Thanks guys,

I head'in to the garage now!!

Nope that wasn't it
down.gif

I was hoping it would be that simple as a clogged vent line...

Fuel pump is making strange noises;

bad charging system, which I really doubt
the fuel pump, it was just replaced  
rock.gif

or something with the fuel lines from the pump to the injectors, how do I find that...

arghhhh  
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155054967 -->

Thanks to Shortboarder!!

Well the charging system is perfect.

This gremlin is very hard to find...
down.gif

Back