Hard to start

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Last month I installed a new fuel pump and it solved the problem I was having back then.

Now, in the last week the busa has been getting harder and harder to start.  I have to use the fast idle.  Once it lights, after cranking for a couple seconds, it runs bogged down around 700-800rpm, then a couple seconds after running bogged down it climbs up to proper idling speed.  Also my idle seems to run a little high in cooler temps and a little low in high temps.

This only started in the last week  
rock.gif

I'll try removing the air filter, at least that will narrow it down to spark or fuel.

What ya guys think??

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154457828 -->

Charles, I'm no mechanic and I'm sure someone else can likely give you a more definitive answer, but when's the last time the spark plugs were changed?

Hows it start first thing in the morning, when the bike is cool, compared to when the bike is hot?

Spark plugs changed 10,000 miles ago and 7 months ago.

Harder to start cold than hot. Though its not easily started when hot either.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154465081 -->

Update;

Took the air filter out, still hard to start.

Put in new spark plugs, still hard to start.

No smoke when it starts.

It actually starts a little, 600-800rpm then dies, does this 2-5 times, then finally stays running at 1000rpm. after a minute it climbs to 1100-1200rpm.

After starting, I'll let it warm up to temp and rpms are still at 1100-1200rpm and the high idle is between 1800-2000rpm.

After riding to work it idles at 1500-1600 and the high idle is between 2200-2400rpm.

Today, when I was at Jack in the Box's drive thru, the engine got hot enough to turn the fan on. It was idling at 1500-1600rpm before the fan, as soon as the fan kicked on it dropped to 1050-1150rpm. As soon as the fan turned off, the rpm climbed back up to 1500rpm.

The fuel pump is making a weird noise again, like the old one did.

What the heck is wrong with my bike!!
mad.gif

This seems to be an idling problem...

Back