Hard Starting

cnjdawson

Registered
Here's the Bike; 2002 Busa w/ full Hindle exhaust, PC111R, Dyno tuned map, small airbox mod, BMC Race Filter, Idle set at 1200, 34K miles on her.

Here's the problem; She started just fine until I had my valves adjusted at 30K miles.  Now for the last 4K miles she's getting harder and harder to start.  In the morning (temp 40-50 outside) when the motor is cold (fast idle on or off doesnt make a difference) she cranks and cranks and cranks before she finally starts. I do bursts of about 5 seconds and stop for about 10 seconds before trying again.  Usually it takes 3-4 bursts before she starts.  Now once in a great while she will start up first try.  OK, now when motor is warm she will start on the second burst about 60% of the time and start right up 40%. Hot or cold the Busa seems to run like normal once started.

Here's what I have tried;
New Battery (the 14 like eveybody suggested)
New Plugs
New Air Filter
Removed and cleaned the fuel pump and filter (filter was barely dirty)
Ran 2 cans of that Seafoam fuel treatment through her
I unpluged the PC111r
Fuel pump kicks on like normal

NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE EFFECTED THE PROBLEM WHATSOEVER!
wtf.gif

Am I missing something?  Do I need a new starter (seems to crank like normal)?  I have searched every topic on this and done everything I can think to do except get new injectors! I dont get it, She runs great once started!
rock.gif

I am beginning to think that when the mechanic adjusted the valves he messed something up.

I would'nt complain about it as ong as it still starts
smile.gif

p.s. sounds like fuel delivery problem to be obvious because of the inconsistancey.

Curious to see what it is when you figure it out. Have you checked the TPS? Try that. Mine was doing almost the same thing and I changed the plugs and synced the tps and she starts right up now.

Bump. I'd like to know the solution to this as well.

Once in a while, when the bike has been in the hot sun for a while, the bike is hard to start. If I open the filler cap, it will release pressure and then it starts right up.

I have to believe you have a fuel delivery problem. The Sea Foam has some cleaning properties so I have to believe your injectors aren't the problem, but you never know.

Another possibility is that your mechanic connected a fuel line backwards. Verify the routing of everything with the service manual.

--Wag--

I hope you figure it out.

2 questions. When it runs does it run OK? And when were the Throttle bodies last synched? May look for vacuum leaks as well? Jinkster had a write up on here about a year ago (maybe more?)on adjusting valves and he ran into some issues as I recall after that. Might be worth looking into?
thumb_up.gif

Thanks for the ideas! I will check the fuel line today and I will get the TB's and TPS sync'ed as soon as I can.
Bigoltool; She seems to run fine once started, although sometimes when she does start she blubbers like she has no fuel for a second. Its been about 10K miles since TB's were last sync'ed but thats next on my list.

I'm running into the exact same problem. Is it the throttle position sensor and throttle bodies? How do you synch these?

Thanks.

Back