Hard to start

ratedpg89

Registered
in the last couple of weeks i have noticed that my bike (05 with 20000 miles) seems to crank longer before starting .its not everytime but about every third time it cranks for ten seconds or so before starting . the battery doesnt sound weak . it acts as if its starved for fuel. is there fuel filter on this thing that i should change? thanks guys

try to verify the iddle rpm it have to be near 1100 or 1000 , is lower the bike will take a lot time to turn on ,until you hit the gas

If it usually only does it when the engine's cold and you're using a thicker oil than the recommended 10w40 (15w50, for instance), you will experience longer crank times due to the crankshaft spinning slower because of the resistance created by throws sloshing through the thicker oil. I've used Motul 15w50 semi-synthetic since the first oil change and have noticed that. A friend has a quad that absolutely will not start unless he either parks it in the sun for 20 minutes or uses a Reddy Heater on the crankcase before starting it because of that. An engine must reach a certain cranking speed before it will start.

Just a thought...

Ed

just noticed this on mine tonight will check rpm's tomorrow.
guns.gif

took it to suzuki today they said it was low idle and could turn it up easy to 1100 rpm was about 970 rpms its only got 3000 miles on it. its a 06 it was only hard to start ran fine after that. I'll let you know if that fixes it tomorrow hope it works.
rock.gif

Check air filter
Check spark plugs
Disconnect power commander
Check idle adjustment
Check fuel pressure at idle

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 11 2006,17:35) # 10 is your fuel filter
Unfortunately, that's NOT HIS fuel filter as that is a fuel pump assembly for a 99 and 00 Hayabusa and HIS is an 05 Hayabusa which uses an entirely different fuel pump and is located inside the fuel tank.

As far as thicker oil is concerned, as expressed by a few guys previously, unless you're starting your in engines in cold to bitter cold temperatures, there will otherwise be no significant loss of cranking RPM with the thicker oil. If so while in warm temperatures, it's time for a new battery or you better get some oil that lubricates your engine better. The slapping of oil by the engine when cranking isn't significant enough to slow engine RPM unless your engine is bitter cold, in which case your battery is typically just as bitter cold thereby delivering far less cold cranking amps hence the significantly slower cranking RPM.

I've used 15W50 Mobil synthetic a number of times (with no loss of engine cranking RPM experienced on a several year old battery during Spring through Fall here in Pennsylvania) but I otherwise exclusively use 10W40 Quaker State, which has always delivered engine longevity. Properly maintained motor oil (oil level and acceptable viscosity) is NEVER the reason for hard starting. NEVER!

(Quasar @ Sep. 25 2006,01:00)
(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 11 2006,17:35) # 10 is your fuel filter
Unfortunately, that's NOT HIS fuel filter as that is a fuel pump assembly for a 99 and 00 Hayabusa and HIS is an 05 Hayabusa which uses an entirely different fuel pump and is located inside the fuel tank.

As far as thicker oil is concerned, as expressed by a few guys previously, unless you're starting your in engines in cold to bitter cold temperatures, there will otherwise be no significant loss of cranking RPM with the thicker oil. If so while in warm temperatures, it's time for a new battery or you better get some oil that lubricates your engine better. The slapping of oil by the engine when cranking isn't significant enough to slow engine RPM unless your engine is bitter cold, in which case your battery is typically just as bitter cold thereby delivering far less cold cranking amps hence the significantly slower cranking RPM.

I've used 15W50 Mobil synthetic a number of times (with no loss of engine cranking RPM experienced on a several year old battery during Spring through Fall here in Pennsylvania) but I otherwise exclusively use 10W40 Quaker State, which has always delivered engine longevity. Properly maintained motor oil (oil level and acceptable viscosity) is NEVER the reason for hard starting. NEVER!
Thanks for the catch THIS IS YOUR fuel pump.

05fulepump.gif

Back