Handling Question - First Time Busa Rider

Dr. Zaius

Registered
After much thought, research and pontificating...I finally came to the conclusion that I needed a Hayabusa. I have a question on the steering (turning and leaning) characteristics however I should probably give you some insight as to my riding styles up to now.

I rode 600 sport bikes when I was a kid (the old Interceptor & Hurricane days) however I kind of got away from that and moved off-road. I have been riding motorcross and dual sports for the last couple of decades and I am most recently (and currently) riding a BMW F800GS as my main mode of 2-Wheel transportation on the street.

Now...back to the question at hand. I just took possession of my (new to me) 2006 Hayabusa in 100% pristine condition!:thumbsup: I have bought so many bikes over the years, and this was the first time I have brought one home where my wife said, "Now THAT is a sexy bike".

I have only ridden it about 15 miles on the way home so far (100% granny style as I had not informed my insurance company I was buying another bike) but I did notice that it turns (steers) so differently than my other bikes. In slow speeds, as I press my left hand forward against the bars to start a Left leaning turn...I feel more resistance than any of my other bikes. It feels like the bars want to turn "into" the direction of the turn. In other words you lean left and the bars turn left.

I know that it is all me getting used to a new bike as I am currently riding a bike that has a 21" front tire so the steering is 100% polar opposite than the Busa. However let me know if you feel like you are "muscling" slower turns to any degree. Because I have yet to take any sweeping faster corners I really do not have anything to comapre it to.

I did get my insurance card today...so let the riding begin! I'll update as my skills catch up to the bike! Thanks for your initial cornering feedback.

Welcome to the oRg. She will be a bit heavier than your previous bikes, but take time to get to know her she will treat you right. Check out my man Shane, no one told him Busa's cant corner.

prpv.jpg

Assuming the bike is 100% stock, it sounds like your baby needs new shoes.

cheers
ken

:welcome: to the org. and as twotone said and you can see from the pic they will corner, i have only had my busa for 3 weeks when we went to the dragon and had a great time, i have also raced motorcross for 10 years, but that was about 8 years ago and that does seem to help alot, you dont forget how you just get a little rusty.

Well, yes at very low speeds (parking lot, turning out onto a road from a stop sign) I bicycle it. Otherwise, it handles like a sport type street bike.
Since your used to regular handlebars and a dirt bike, the clip-ons will feel very different for a bit. That may be what your getting.

:welcome: to the show! :cheerleader:

Nothing different about the Hayabusa than any other single track two wheeled vehicle: Push left = go left, push right = go right. Just like all the others, the agility/quickness and resistance to/response to steering input varies with system geometry which, on the Hayabusa, is a bit different than 600 sport bikes and dirt/off road bikes.

Like ya said, you're just not used to it yet. Take your time, get to know the bike and you'll find that it's a very capable machine whether you're running straight lines or hitting the twisties.

:welcome: Yes you have to use a lil more muscle when turning at low speeds on a busa. I notice when I ride my 600 its easier, kinda like the lean does the turning for you, not much pushing the bars needed. Control your bike, dont let your bike control you. Something you will eventually get use to on your busa. :thumbsup: enjoy the new ride! :cheerleader:

Well, yes at very low speeds (parking lot, turning out onto a road from a stop sign) I bicycle it. Otherwise, it handles like a sport type street bike.
Since your used to regular handlebars and a dirt bike, the clip-ons will feel very different for a bit. That may be what your getting.

Aahhh yes...this may have a lot to do with it.

welcome

:welcome:

of course we want pics of your bike

and riding low speed sucks. i hate driving in parking lots

I am embarrassed i do not have any yet...lord knows I have stared at her enough to probably draw you one!

by the way...thanks for all of the welcomes!

:welcome: to the board...like the others have said, the Busa is a little different than other sport bikes...it seems to "steer" more like a chopper to me at slow speeds but once you get up to higher speeds, let the fun begin!!! :beerchug:

You might be feeling some resistance from the steering damper as well.

mine had a flat spot with big chicken strips on the rear... I felt the same thing... once I got used to the heaviness of the actual bike and got some new tires, I can throw it around just as good as I could my other bikes. Soon you'll be used to it, looking for more power!!!

I guess I have to get a little pic out there!

Thanks again for all your insight! I am 100% positive the only "fixing" that this bike needs through the corners is ME!!!!!

3ka3md3l6ZZZZZZZZZ94te15c39d1871a168c[1].jpg

3ne3kf3paZZZZZZZZZ94tf4ae89c8ca0b1b18[1].jpg

Back