Just rode my busa for the first time

jumbo

Registered
I just picked up my 2001 black and silver Busa today rode it home about 70 miles. What can I say!!! Holy S##t!! I do have a couple of questions. I had a hard time turning it did not want to lean over and stay kept trying to stand up. I currently have a VFR and it steers much easier. The Tires have 8000 miles and are shot (almost square) I think this is what the problem is. I get new buns tomorrow 208zr's hopefully that will cure the turning woes. I do have a couple of complaints.

1. Why didn't I buy one sooner?
2. Is this really legal?
3. Why didn't I buy one sooner?
If anyone has a any other suggestions on the steering please let me know. I've been riding for about 15 years and this is my first Suzuki. The power of the Busa is amazing and I am addicted to it already.

just keep the rubbersidedown and the right wrist in check or it will bite you like a Rabid Pit Bull.

Welcome to the world of adrenaline and mods!!!! and now........the mods begin!!!
laugh.gif
Start saving now, because in a few days you will want every gadget you see on this site!!

It gets easier to steer with time and a little suspension set-up.

A few suggestions:

1. Shift your weight forward over the tank.
2. Adjust the suspension. Stock settings on the front are usually way too loose.

Just keep at it, after about a month of regular riding and practice, it'll feel like a bicycle.
wink.gif

Congrats on the new purchase! I would say it has to be your tires/air pressure. I would also check your fork fluid and settings. As far as new rubber goes, SERIOUSLY consider the michelin pilots. You WILL NOT be dissapointed.

How are the Michelin Pilot tires for wear. I have Dunlops on my VFR and are wearing good. They are about the same price. I have never had Michelin's before how do they compare to the Dunlops.

How are the Michelin Pilot tires for wear. I have Dunlops on my VFR and are wearing good. They are about the same price. I have never had Michelin's before how do they compare to the Dunlops.
Wear is about average. The grip is incredible, and the "turn in" is very very neutral. That should resolve your resistance issue. If you switch over you'll never go with any other tire. Let me know what you go with. Later G.

Congrats jumbo! What a rush, huh?
smile.gif

I'd say that with a used bike, it might not hurt to have it looked over by a mechanic unless you're a wrencher yourself...do a once over and tighten things up...get some new tires...etc...

I found the Busa to be incredibly responsive, but I bought new, so that might by why...

Best of luck! You're gonna love that bike!
biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard! Take a few rides to get used to the bike and make suspension/lever adjustments before you hit it too hard. I had to for break-in but its made a big difference for me.
biggrin.gif

I had the same feeling of aprehensiveness about steering wen I first got my Busa. I also felt overwhelmed with the power.

3 months and 1100 miles later, I want more power, I am getting to where I can flip her from side to side on tisties like I used to do with my 750, I am getting comfortable with my baby and she is treating me right, I am becoming one with the machine, her and I ride as one now, and we sync.... She is a part of me....And I am part of her....

You will get used to her, just take it slow and dont push it, she will let you know when it is time to take the relationship to the next level....

I just picked up my 2001 black and silver Busa today rode it home about 70 miles. What can I say!!! Holy S##t!! I do have a couple of questions. I had a hard time turning it did not want to lean over and stay kept trying to stand up. I currently have a VFR and it steers much easier. The Tires have 8000 miles and are shot (almost square) I think this is what the problem is. I get new buns tomorrow 208zr's hopefully that will cure the turning woes. I do have a couple of complaints.

1. Why didn't I buy one sooner?
2. Is this really legal?
3. Why didn't I buy one sooner?
If anyone has a any other suggestions on the steering please let me know. I've been riding for about 15 years and this is my first Suzuki. The power of the Busa is amazing and I am addicted to it already.
OK First thing, Your Tires being worn makes a huge difference, the Busa will never be a GSXR 600 when it comes to turn in, but is should be at least as nimble as your VFR, better maybe when it's set up. 180 series is an idea but I would throw a 200 series BT010 I say a 200 series tire because the stock 190 series BT56J on the busa is actually 198MM, the BT010 I have heard is damn near spec on 200MM. Then check your tire pressures at least twice a week, and keep em at factory setting of 42 PIS cold...Yeah I said it 42PSI...remember kiddies we are on the streets not the track. After running for a little while with the factory pressure then start messing with the air a little to see how it effects the bike, but your going to need a baseline before you start messing with stuff.

Check you tire pressures, make certain the suspension is up to snuff, and the thing will handle far better than it should for it's size.

Oh and welcome to the board, a bunch a junkies running around here and your initial post just reminded everyone here of the first time they rode the Busa...Holy SH*T! Is a common description of the first ride.

Also be ready for the Busa to make a whole lot of mechanical racket, the clutch, the gear train, the cam chain, etc... It's a noisy critter...

Later

Check the steering dampner, maybe a problem there too. The tires being worn down that badly will make a huge difference. Love this bike!
smile.gif

Thanks for all the input on the tires went with a 200 bt010. You were right about handling better than my VFR. I would to know about what settings to start with for I have never really set up the suspension before.I'm 6'3" about 280(solid muscle) yeah right. I have been riding on the street for about 15 years on and off. I do ride in the twisties but like a racer. Any help would be appreciated

Back