Riser and damper question...

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
Hey all. My bars have been raised by 3/4 inch and i may raise them to 1 1/2 inch. Will I feel a whole lot of difference with this change? I guess I will have to shave/dremel ( ideas?) my windscreen so there is room for the bars to move.
I am just using spacers for now, to see how I like the feel of the bars. Then I will get some Genmars.
How high is too high? And how will raising the bars to 1 1/2 change the handleing of the front end? And speaking of front end,if i get rid of my stock non-adjustable steering dampner and ride without one,bad idea? The front end of my bike kinda steers like a piano and i would like to have the steering a little quicker. I am about 5'4 and 120 lbs and i have to use a lot of push to get the bike to go through corners.
BTW, were there any Canucks at busa bash?

You will probably like the taller Genmar risers. I had a 1.25" unit and found it to be much more comfortable than the stock bike. Now I have some Heli-Bars installed and don't know if I would pay extra for them compared to the Genmars at half the price.

A lot of people move the fork tubes up through the Genmars, lowering the front end. This decreases the rake angle and lowers the center of gravity a bit, making the bike a little quicker in the turns, while giving up some ground clearance.

You should not need much of a push to turn your bike through the corners. What are your tires like? Is the rear tire pretty worn down the center? That's pretty common to mess up the handling. It always amazes me how much better my bikes handle when I finally install new tires. Makes them feel like there on ball bearings!

If the tires are good, it might be the tire pressure.

Sortof a derail, sorry, but don't some people use both risers at once? (I guess they want an almost 'standard' type of feel.) I'd imagine they need new cables and a double bubble or sport touring screen.

Back