hand going numb

Make sure that your brake and clutch levers are rotated down enough so that you don't have to reach up with your fingers to pull them (this seems to happen a lot during setup - mine were almost parallel to the ground = very bad). Don't death-grip your bars like you're going to fall off if you don't (won't happen). Try not to rest all your weight on your hands. Hold your upper body up with your abdomen, arms should be slightly bent and hold your bars, don't lean on them.

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124125923 -->

This stuff works for me.
Gloves with a gel pad palm help. If you have metal grips change back to soft ones. If you have aluminum bar ends change back to the heavy steel ones they kill some vibes in the bars.

Mine did the same thing when I first started riding the busa. Just keep riding, it will get better.

Use your abs/back to support your weight, your hands should be resting lightly on the bars (try getting in the riding position with the bike stationary then take your hands off the bars to see what this feels like.)

Adjust your clutch and brake levers downwards so that you aren't bending your wrist to reach "up" for the levers - this is like the keyboard issue that causes tendonitis, keep your wrists in line with your forearm/hands.

The 'Busa is designed for riding with elbows tucked in, so don't let your elbows flare out or your wrists will be at an angle to the bars which also causes pressure on the palms and restricts blood flow.

Loosen your grip on the bars and don't put all your weight on your hands and wrist.

Use your abs/back to support your weight, your hands should be resting lightly on the bars (try getting in the riding position with the bike stationary then take your hands off the bars to see what this feels like.)

Adjust your clutch and brake levers downwards so that you aren't bending your wrist to reach "up" for the levers - this is like the keyboard issue that causes tendonitis, keep your wrists in line with your forearm/hands.

The 'Busa is designed for riding with elbows tucked in, so don't let your elbows flare out or your wrists will be at an angle to the bars which also causes pressure on the palms and restricts blood flow.
What DAB said... Specifically, support your upper body weight with your abs, back, and legs. Grip the bike with your knees, and keep your arms in line with your wrists and totally relaxed. The only pressure your grips should "feel" is steering inputs and enough grip/friction on the throttle to be able to turn it. Your fingers/hands should form loose loops around the grips. They should never actually "squeeze" them.

As DAB mentioned, if you have stands, or even just a center stand, get the bike on them and climb on. Get into riding position and practice moving yourself around using your back and abs without your hands on the grips at all. Then put your hands on the grips loosely and move around some more. Concentrate on not putting any forces on the grips at all. After you've practiced this stationary you should start implementing this technique when you're riding.

Fact is, if you're supporting ANY of your upper body weight on your hands and wrists you are affecting the handling of your motorcycle and restricting blood flow to your hands to some degree. If you can get used to supporting your weight with your torso and legs and keeping your arms and hands relaxed I promise your hands will stop tingling and going numb. Until you fix your technique anything else, like gel grips/gloves, helibars, etc... are simply bandaids to mask the real problem. Not saying those things are necessarily bad. They may increase your comfort level, but you're still going to be affecting handling with your weight on your hands.
wink.gif

getting into proper position is a key, but you also have to look at how the bike is configured for you.

My bike, I lowered and added helibars in addition to changing the way I ride.... made a HUGE difference for me, though YMMV
wink.gif

What DAB said... Specifically, support your upper body weight with your abs, back, and legs. Grip the bike with your knees, and keep your arms in line with your wrists and totally relaxed. The only pressure your grips should "feel" is steering inputs and enough grip/friction on the throttle to be able to turn it. Your fingers/hands should form loose loops around the grips. They should never actually "squeeze" them.

As DAB mentioned, if you have stands, or even just a center stand, get the bike on them and climb on. Get into riding position and practice moving yourself around using your back and abs without your hands on the grips at all. Then put your hands on the grips loosely and move around some more. Concentrate on not putting any forces on the grips at all. After you've practiced this stationary you should start implementing this technique when you're riding.

Fact is, if you're supporting ANY of your upper body weight on your hands and wrists you are affecting the handling of your motorcycle and restricting blood flow to your hands to some degree. If you can get used to supporting your weight with your torso and legs and keeping your arms and hands relaxed I promise your hands will stop tingling and going numb. Until you fix your technique anything else, like gel grips/gloves, helibars, etc... are simply bandaids to mask the real problem. Not saying those things are necessarily bad. They may increase your comfort level, but you're still going to be affecting handling with your weight on your hands.
wink.gif
What he said. Also, it should be overemphasized that your riding ability will improve by taking a more relaxed touch on your handlebars. I like to describe it as feathery. When you hold hands with your significant other, you don't put all your weight on your arm and squeeze really hard to crush the poor creature do you?

Same thing with the other love of your life, your Busa. It really appreciates a light caress. Soft pressures. NOT LEANING ALL YOUR UPPER BODY ON TOP!!!

Keep your elbows very slightly bent and balance yourself on top. Keep your entire body loose. Gradually learn the balance points when you brake and accelerate so you don't pull or push on the handlebars during those maneuvers. When you turn, use the inside of your thigh to hang on, not your hands.

--Wag--

Definitely rotate the clutch and brake lever so that your hand are comfortable when pulling on the levers. That as well as a nice padded glove work miracles.

I wanted to make a bad joke, but something is telling me it would be inappropriate.
smile.gif

I'd say what helps me besides what others said. Going to the gym and strengthening back and leg muscles.

Once you get use to her, you'll stop white knuckling the grips. Definitely use back and stomach muscles instead of arm and hand strength.

I wanted to make a bad joke, but something is telling me it would be inappropriate.
smile.gif

I'd say what helps me besides what others said. Going to the gym and strengthening back and leg muscles.
I have been seeing this post all day and it is taking all I have not to make a bad joke
biggrin.gif

Back