Right hand going numb

Are you saying numbness isn't normal??? Lot of good suggestions - but here's one - get a bike that keeps you in a more neutral position. Approaching fifty yo riding a GXSR 750 is certainly more challenging then it use to be, however when I ride sports I concentrate on good posture like your Mom always told ya. Your back is better suited to support your weight... Wrists and hands are pretty feeble at supporting weight - add vibration, grip pressure etc. and numbness is par for the course on sports. Some folks 10 miles, some 100, and some 1000. But it usually effects everyone somewhere along the line.

GREAT SUBJECT! My right wrist has gotten worse over the years with the getting numb thing. Last year it was Hell after about 10 miles or so. My Sister is in the Medical profession and suggested that I get my wrists checked out for Carpal Tunnel as my Left was starting to do the same thing. Only on the Bike mind you! So, I bit the bullet and got them checked out. YEP!, they were Bad and the right one was really bad. The Dr. said that it happens to a lot of people with Sportbikes over the years. Now, that's all that I've been riding for 30 years now and like I've said in other posts, I've got over 300k miles hunched over Gas Tanks. So, over the winter I got both wrists done. MY LORD!! I should have gotten them done Years Ago! I did a 500 mile day about a month ago and Not Even A Twinge! Been ridin' all year now and my wrists not once have felt less than perfect. Maybe this isn't the case for everyone but, it may be worth looking in to....:super:

If you have aftermarket grips that are not weighted on the ends that will cause fatigue due to vibration

Lots and lots of suggestions. Plus our medical conditions.

Mine is Cupital Tunnel in the right, which has really sucked. Carpal is index finger & thumb. Cupital btw is pinky. Mine is numb lots of time.

So I'll just add in what works for me. Plus just coming off the Bun Burner Iron Butt Ride - 1700 miles in 36 hrs.

Throttlemeister and a cramp buster. I find these two combined are perfect. Couldn't live without those. No fancy grips, just the Harris Busa Grips.

Strangest thing about this (numb) hand issue is it's better when I'm riding. How ya like them apples?

throttle1-640.jpg

Body position has been mentioned a lot. Love to lay down on the bike. Belly on the tank to relax that wrist pressure.

Dsc_0593_900_2.jpg

throttle1-640.jpg

Dsc_0593_900_2.jpg

I'm VERY conscience about NOT leaning on the bars. Because I was guilty of this for a long time. Now I make sure I can lift my hands off the bars without my body moving.

I'm still trying to lose weight, already lost close to 100 lbs. I can't beleive I was that heavy. It didn't take long either, with eating McDonalds at least once a day. I watch my sugars close now too. I didn't for years like an idiot, and I'm paying for it now. Can't feel my feet hardly at all, and have no pain sensation in arms & legs, and been in the hospital 2 times in the past year because of an infection in my foot.

Kinda off topic, but aren'y you supposed to put a lot of your weight on the foot pegs as well ? I remember seeing a video with pro racers, giving tips on a bike, saying that their but is almost never on the seat. And when you're done riding if your legs aren't sore, you weren't doing it right ?? Wish I could find that video again. It's the one that taught me about how you should be able to take your hands off the bars while in a turn, withought your body moving. When the guy tried to let go (while on the sside stand), he almost fell off the bike.

SORRY for the thread-jack !!

Those are some pretty serious medical issues that you really need to deal with before riding a lot. Figure you can't drink, get hot, ect. on a bike, and it IS more strenuous than just sitting in a car. Also given you must be ON THE BALL 100% of the time on a bike, that one moment you are not might be the one that hurts you.

Professional races spend a lot of time mostly standing on their pegs, like a jockey (have you ever looked at a race-bike seat?). Putting the weight on the pegs lowers the center of gravity and therefore the bike will turn better and hold better. However, that's not a skill many of us have the strength and stamina to master (why do you think all the pro's ride bicycles ALL the time and have huge legs?).....My legs would hurt so bad after a trackday that I couldn't hardly stand up. Now, a banana and some Aleve helps me get thru two days...

I had a thought just now my right hand is also my NON dominant hand. I have a feeling this contributes to why, only my right hand/fingers going numb. Thank you all for the input and suggestions. Im going to have to try them over time as my budget will allow. Just FYI im 29 yrs old, 69in tall, and weight 162lbs. I am a Combat Medic in the US Army. Im mentioning this because i have mandatory physical training every morning lol so i like to think im in pretty good shape. And have a pretty firm grasp of human anatomy and physiology in regards to sports related injuries. I have no problems keeping my posture and using the tank to hold my weight for extended periods of time. My lower back used to get a little painful while i rode from lack of use but not anymore since my body is used to it now. I dont have carpal tunnel. So ill start off trying going up one size for my gloves and the cramp buster. If those dont work ill try changing out my grips. If that doesnt work I'll go see my doctor lol.

Back