My hands go numb!!!!

swimmer7946

Registered
After i ride for a half hour or so my right hand starts to go numb...besides bar risers what have u guys done? gloves, grips etc.....thx

Relax the hands arms and elbows use your back and knees for support. I catch myself going back to using arms for support but just try to relax again.

Use more of your back to hold your weight. You have to remind yourself every couple minutes to hold the grips like they were eggshells.

If your on the open road, just rest your fingers ACROSS the brake and clutch levers. It will relax your palm, forefingers and wrist  
beerchug.gif

dont know how you are built, but if you are tall and long like me, the best thing I have found is a speedpak hard tankbag/backpack. I lay on it for hours and never sore hands anymore. The other thing I did was change out the oil in the stablizer, which added confidence, more than enough to let me use the throttlemeister and relax the right hand when needed.

The other guys are bang on about not having a death grip on the bars, gentle is the only way to go.

Tank bags work well, as was said. Also, you may want to look into some good gloves with gel in the palms. I have gel gloves and also replaced the stock handgrips with gel grips. made a HUGE difference. I also did the soupy mod on the front bars (raises the bars up 1" and lowers the front of the bike 1") which also improved the riding position.

I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2" and 240 lbs, so i did quite a few mods for the sake of creature comforts. All I said before, plus changing out the stock footpegs to the buell pegs. That drops your feet down about an inch and a half from where the stock pegs sit. All in all, that, combined with the handlebar lift, gives me a more upright riding position than stock, which in turn takes some of the pressure off your arms.

How long have you been riding your Busa? It takes roughly 2 weeks of riding to get used to it. Then a few days each year when riding weather comes.

well or you could invest in some throttlemeisters that way when you are rolling down the open road you can rest your right hand.

Yeah, GM, when I first started riding the Busa I had to get used to my neck aching, my arm feeling like they had shin-splints, my back was tweaked and my legs were cramping up!

That's it! I give up! I am dying here!
crazy.gif

laugh.gif
Seriously though,, It takes a bit of getting used too!

For the hands, like everyone says, build strength in your back and abdominal muscles and for long trips, tanks bags are good, but if you don't have one, I will lay on my fist that I will place on the tank and my breast plate (diaphragm) to help take pressure off of my lower back (I'm 6'1")

Stretching out before riding is a MUST!!! Everything that you remember from any sports that you took in school or college will help in loosening muscles that you WILL find you didn't know you had when riding! Essential!!

You physical, you emotional, your psychological conditions are so important to a good ride,,, but those topics are for another topic.
wink.gif

Oh,, I almost forgot,, if you are able,, slapping your hands together or on your leg or hip while riding or stopped can help to get circulation back into your wrist areas.

While stopped; slowly massage your carpal tunnel area to regenerate circulation. Also,, hotties in cars always look at you like they need to help! Chicks are instant nurses for some strange reason!
biggrin.gif

It was almost the same with me. I went from a ZRX1100 with it's much more upright riding position to the Busa. When my hands wouldn't stop hurting i was thinking of the horrifying thought of having to sell my then new 04' because my body couldn't handle it. I said "F' that" and kept riding. A week later my body just didn't hurt anymore no matter how much i rode.

Sit straight up while doing 160mph. The wind pushing against your chest will relieve some of the weight on your wrists.
all_coholic.gif

I added weight to my lower back routine at the gym, threw on the TL pegs and both have helped a good deal.

For the not so long stints on the interstate (80+mph)... I have my tank bag. I just lay on that and my elbows gently rest on my knees.

Risers are next (next year).

(rubber2burn @ Jul. 04 2007,02:03) well or you could invest in some throttlemeisters that way when you are rolling down the open road you can rest your right hand.
+1 The throttlemister cured my problems completely. Even when it's engaged you have full control over the motorcycle. While crusing just turn it on and you can take either hand off either bar occasionally to rest them. Also, with it engaged you can still keep your hand on the throttle but you'll find that you hand and wrist will not ache because you're not gripping the throttle much at all. Worked for me and if not for them (throttlemister) I'd probably give this up!

I did a similar thing for my crampy legs by changing to TL1000 pegs. Again, worked for me, maybe it will work for you. Getting old sucks!
cool.gif

Back