Numb  hand!

1badnotch

Registered
I keep getting the numb hand on my throttle side. Any suggestions would be great We are going on a long ride in oct.

There could be a number of causes but to eliminate CTS, have a nerve conduction test done to see of the nerve impulses are getting thru the Carpal tunnel properly. If not, have the very minor surgery done, and in my case, on both hands, it worked perfectly. Good luck.

I think they make a line lock cruise control system, if your looking for a way to relax your hand while riding. As far as a medical answer I agree with everone else. CTS.

Sweet I will look into the cts I hope I dont need surgery!! lol.
biggrin.gif

Several things to try. One is relax your hands while riding by putting your fingers over (covering) the brake lever and using your palm to put minor inputs into the throttle for corrections while cruising. I do this with my Throttlemeister lock on which helps GREATLY ! Next, you might get a set of Helibars (my choice) or Glenmars to raise your bars. Next, use a tank bag to lean on to take off the weight on your hands and start using your legs (tighter on the tank) to releave strain on your wrist. Last start doing situps to strengthen your abs. That will help prevent you from leaning forward more and more as you get tired, which inturn puts more weight on your wrist and hands. I would really try all this before I considered anyone cutting on me  
beerchug.gif

gel grips
change hand position often
stop white nuckle'n the throttle
ride open handed

Yea I agree with the twistys! Time to do the right thing with my bike and stop farting around town on it now that I have a family! Thanks to all Im def. going to try all Ideas Were going from nj to fl. in oct. so I trying to get ready. .
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

What mods do you have? (triple tree, grips, bar ends?)

Heavier bar ends and different grips helped me.

Also dont put all your weight on your wrists.

You should have you arms bent when riding and lose the death grip on the bars. You have to learn to loosen up. It takes some practice but it helped me. Genmar and Helibars will help too. I have both and the vista cruiser throttle lock. Go long distance and play in the twisties when you get there. If you live a ways away from them like I do you have no choice.

Tried throttle meister went back to vista cruiser, I just didnt like them. Not as easy to use, they are much better looking but I am more about function.

i get the nubsies too.....especially since i cruse alot around 4500 rpm...always a good buz there

Are u getting a lot of vibration from the engine going up through the bars? If so then that might be caused by the throttle bodies not being sync'd or the valves being out of spec. If you are getting a lot of vibration at cruising revs then that would make your hand numb.

(DaCol. @ Jul. 08 2007,19:27) Several things to try. One is relax your hands while riding by putting your fingers over (covering) the brake lever and using your palm to put minor inputs into the throttle for corrections while cruising. I do this with my Throttlemeister lock on which helps GREATLY ! Next, you might get a set of Helibars (my choice) or Glenmars to raise your bars. Next, use a tank bag to lean on to take off the weight on your hands and start using your legs (tighter on the tank) to releave strain on your wrist. Last start doing situps to strengthen your abs. That will help prevent you from leaning forward more and more as you get tired, which inturn puts more weight on your wrist and hands. I would really try all this before I considered anyone cutting on me
beerchug.gif
I have to totally agree. This thread goes up once a week. You're putting all your weight on your throttle hand for long periods of time and you're cutting circulation to the hand.

We all have been there, it still happens to me occasionally on long rides. It's not your body, it's what you are doing to your body. Make adjustments and you'll be fine. If not see a doctor.

Back