Had my first crash since 1989,and 500,000 plus miles

Bandit

Registered
A car hit me from the rear on the freeway a week ago while traveling about 40 mph in traffic. I was in the car pool lane one second and on the ground the next. The bike is in the shope needing $5,400.00 worth of work but I have them holding off until I'm mobile enough to look at it. I got out of this pretty lucky actually as I didn't get run over. I do have a bunch of broken bones on my left side making moblity an issue, but hell, I'm alive and all of my parts will mend.

Here's some irony for you though, I ride a 2006 LE, and if I am correct based on what I have read on the board, that's 3 LE 2006 Hayabusa's that have all crashed in the same week. My accident was 10/13.

The person that hit me did not stop, and my one witness was told to leave by the CHP officer on seen because they needed to clear the freeway. When I was being loaded in to the ambulance, the officer asked me what happen. I explained what I thought happened and his response "you need to give me more than that". I said, what the hell do you want me to say? Thankfully the paramedic on scene told the officer the white marks across the back of the back and tire should be enough to prove he was hit from behind. If not, the pushed up tail section and bend exhaust on the right side should help (the damage to the bike is exclusively on the left with the exception of the muffler. The officer just left at that point. Bastard!

Anyhow, insurance has been pretty good to me so far. I think what bothers me the most is my pride. I've alwasy ridden with the philosophy that if I was in an accident it would be my fault. I feel it is my responsibility to know where all the cars are, where the gravel or oil is, who's not stopping at the light or stop sign, because I would be the one that got hurt. In my head I knew where all the cars were around me, I knew where my safety pocket was. A week later, I still don't know where that car came from. It's been a tough pill to swallow.

Stay sharp out there because they are most definitely out to get you.

Godspeed Mr. Simoncelli.

sorry to hear about the accident...not knowing exactly what happened can mess with your head a bit but don't let it drive you away from the sport you obviously love (500,000+ miles)...you will heal, the bike can be fixed, and we look forward to hearing from you when you're back on the road! :beerchug:

I would ask try to find that officer or have someone go down there and ask. I mean white marks on the back of the tire should be enough. If the tire is ruined I would cut a small chunk out so you can preserve it. There has to be some paint trade from the vehicle that hit you. Just need to make sure it doesn't get damaged or lost. I mean depending on the broken bones. Have a friend take ya to the shop and evaluate the bike. Look for the scuff marks in the rear and any discoloration on the plastic or tire. I am assuming the vehicle was white. So look for that. There should have been a statement from the other party as well. Get some info and try to get your ass covered. Specially if you had an officer like the one just described.

Hit and run drivers are lower than low. Nearly kill someone and run off and leave. COWARD I hope the guilt burns a hole in their heart!

I know this is so wrong to say, but if I can I clear traffic bc of these issues and the fear of not being seen, don't know who the crap couldn't hear me in their space, but I just don't like to be in tons of traffic.

Must have been on the phone when he/she hit you.Good that you survived but sucks the a-hole left the scene and didnt even make sure you were alive.There needs to be some serious law changes for riders.

Don't blame yourself for this, you did all that you could, trying to be aware of things around you, not your fault at all.
Anyway heal up soon.

Bandit,

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm glad that God watched over you at that moment. What state are you in? I ask, because in some some states that have HOV/Car pool lanes, there are usually traffic cams that are put in place to see where congestions or accidents are taking place. I would check...when you are able to, with the DOT to see if they have a camera setup in that area. Maybe you could possible get a plate number. Just a thought. Heal quickly....

never nice getting taken out and by a hit and run bastid too:banghead:

should be mandatory execution for hit and run!!

hope you dont hurt too much but boy you feel it as you get older (i went over the bars on my mountain bike 2 weeks ago and felt like mike tyson had fell out with me )

will you want the bike bak after all that damage ? i never wanted mine back after it was wrecked .

get well soon:thumbsup:

No luck on traffic cams in the area, which is just my luck because they are everywhere else on the freeway. I'm
feeling better but still have not seen my bike. My Dad, also a Busa owner, has seen it and said it is all cosmetic
damage. I just finished getting the Busa to where it was perfect for me, so as long as there is no structural damage I
am all about fixing it. I have seen pictures since my original post and all I can say is that it was heart breaking. I'm
a couple months out from being able to ride again, so I have time to get it put back together right. This bike was hand
picked by my wife (she considers it hers) so I need to make sure it is as good as new when it's done. She's logged
over 20,000 miles on the back of it so I'm sure she's earned it. Lol's. Thanks guys.

Glad your ok, and able to tell the story. Was there only one cop on the scene? Can you request another officer to write the report? I really don't know but this officer clearly didn't like the situation and wanted it to be your fault. I wouldn't want him writing my report. Your lucky you had the EMT on your side.

Too bad about the officer on the scene.

The reality is that, all too often LEOs show up after an incident has happened, and then proceed to tell the victim that there's nothing they can do. They are very good at writing tickets, but for investigative work...well, just don't expect any results, and you won't be disappointed. Not meant as a slam against the PoPo, it's just the reality of the world we live in. Hopefully, most of us abide by the laws most of the time. But if someone chooses to break the law, there's not much that can be done unless they are caught in the act.

CW

Glad you are pretty much OK...sounds like a bum deal with the Cop and all.. Heal up soon Brother.

Back