I had my first flat tire

justin726

Registered
I probably haven't rode my bike in well over a month. Maybe closer to two. The temps have been in or near the 50's for the last few days, so I decided to take the bike off the charger and go out for a ride.

I headed into town. That's about a 10 mile trip. I stop and top off the tank at the gas station. The bike was pretty dusty from sitting in the garage, so I figured I'd head over to the car wash for a quick rinse. As I was making a left turn at a stoplight, I felt something in the drivetrian either slip or grab a little. It caught me off guard, so I couldn't quite tell. Within about 2-3 blocks I could already feel something was not quite right. By 6-8 blocks I knew my tire was going flat and pretty quick. I turned at a stoplight to get off the street and took the alley the last 2 blocks to the car wash/gas station.

When I got stopped there, the tire was probably 80% flat. Another minute or two and it was completely done. The gas station didn't have an air hose, not that it would have gotten me very far. I called the wife at home to bring the trailer and pick me up. She showed up, we got the bike strapped in, and there was the problem. Right in the center of the tread there was a small bolt. It wasn't a nail or a screw, but a bolt. Must have hit it just right and popped it right through the tire.

Well Monday, (day after Christmas) I was planning on doing a lot of much needed maintenance to the bike. I have a new set of Pirelli Diablos that I was planning on putting on at that time anyway, so this whole situation isn't nearly as bad as it could have been if I would have been with out a new set to put on the bike. So now I just got a jump start on my list for the bike. Now I just need to pull the forks and get the new fork seals put in, change the oil, flush and change the coolant, put on new front break pads, check plugs, clean the chain, check the air filter, and a few other of the usual checks. Good thing that I have all next week off. I may be able to get this all done pretty quick.

<!--EDIT|justin726
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135480867 -->

DSC00085a.JPG

Back