Great gas mileage

In my opinion, I think the accuracy is directly affected by the speedo/odometer inaccuracy, tire size, etc...Using the DOT mile markers and/or a GPS, then refueling after a distance, is probably the best way to determine what yours reflects, aside from getting a radar ticket.

If you know where a roadside radar display is, that would give a fairly accurate reading too.

I know, I know, if I was concerned about maximum gas mileage than why do I drive a Busa??? Blah blah blah.... Any how last tank came out to 54.42 mpg!:cheerleader: I luv this bike,10 second 1/4 when ever I want and prius + fuel economy when ever I want:thumbsup: I want more though, any body have any more reasonable tips? I have summed up a list of what I think has contributed to less fuel consumption:

42psi front and rear sport tour tires. Constantly check pressure
87 octane....premium reduces my fuel econ and power and I dont have any audible knocking.
30 second choke then ride off (very slowly and low revs until it warms up of course).
80% highway.
Drafting (This is subjective as far as safety- i dont tailgate but I do stay in some what of a wind draft)
I anticipate slowing down and traffic lights so I do allot of coasting with the clutch lever in.
Religious chain care.
Amsoil synthetic oil.

These bikes take premium. Putting anything less in will reduce power. Octane delays combustion to allow for a higher compression ratio. The computer can adjust the timing to allow for low octane gas, so you may not hear pinging, but you aren't doing yourself any favors.

yeah that is one thing I love about the busa. It just does whatever you want it to. Want to go fast? Sure. Want to cruise and get good mpg's? sure. Want to get down in the twisties? Sure. Want to go to the drag strip? Sure.

Highest I have ever gotten was ~59mpg on a long all day ride with a buncha Hardleys, so you know I couldnt go fast :laugh:

But I normally get high 30's... Kinda interesting how your mpg's can literally double (or cut in half) by just changing your riding style...

These bikes take premium. Putting anything less in will reduce power. Octane delays combustion to allow for a higher compression ratio. The computer can adjust the timing to allow for low octane gas, so you may not hear pinging, but you aren't doing yourself any favors.

The Gen 2's (2008-2011) take premium, us poor folk who ride Gen 1's only need the cheap stuff, 87 octane.:laugh:

The Gen 2's (2008-2011) take premium, us poor folk who ride Gen 1's only need the cheap stuff, 87 octane.:laugh:

+1 Gen1s actually run worse on premium. Always used premium then i switched to 87 and the bike runs much smoother. Fact, not just an opinion.

i don't feel so bad now reading this thread
cos mine is doing a little less than 20 mpg but i did
ride the ring piece out of it cos its
my first busa and had a complete rebuilt
and had to enjoy its first outing.
have to go to belfast in june for the boat to the TT
and i'd say it will cost about 80 euro to get there unless i take it handy which
i will be i hope.

My Best is 51,78 m/g . Highway; 60 to 80 mph constant speed, very kind on gas in sixth gear.
2006 stock 3100 mile (seldomly used when I own her) only akropovic slip-ons. Maybe I have to change the sparks(factory parts on it). I cleaned the air filter.

Any comment ?

How accurate is the fuel mileage indicator from the speedometer? Are those who are getting great mileage using a known distance traveled divided by fuel added to tank after the known mileage is ridden, or going by the MPG indicated by the speedometer ?

I apologize as I may have not specified my ride is an 05. I believe you are correct if you are referring to an k8+ they do require premium, that is a troubling issue for me if I ever decide to go gen 2 as I dont like the idea of having to run premium. I have thought that I could install a meth/water injection set up and run 87 for light throttle input and when more load is demanded the meth/water would kick in to provide increased octane. I have a turbo 5.0 mustang and although I currently run premium in it I am thinking of adding meth/water injection and then dropping down to 87 octane.

I reached 225 yesterday on a tank running up to Ocean City, MD. Probably 1/3rd of the time I was running in triple digits.

I honestly feel these bikes are much more capable of getting way better gas mileage without sacrificing performance than we realize. If I had the time to study and really dig into the ECM side of things I believe 60/70 mpg could be easily obtained. Advanced timing and leaning out the mixture (22 to 1 AFR) at light load inputs should really make an impact. I think I have seen a programmer for ECM that might have the ability to make adjustments like that discussed on this very website, I just wish I had the time to devote to the research on it. A google search on hondas "Lean Burn Engines" makes me believe in my opinion that our bikes would be well suited for the parameters listed to qualify/convert as a "Lean Burn Engine". Again this is just interesting stuff to me as I understand that most riders of a Hayabusa only care about being glued to a rocket and wouldnt squeal at even 10 mpg:laugh:

How accurate is the fuel mileage indicator from the speedometer? Are those who are getting great mileage using a known distance traveled divided by fuel added to tank after the known mileage is ridden, or going by the MPG indicated by the speedometer ?

I did both to understand if there is any difference... The answer is %3 difference max. I go less then %3 in real life according to milleage indicator. I think most of the "%3" differs by the tank fulling style. I try to get same level(volume), the tap of the fuel hole every time but mostly I miss the reference line a little up or down.

But my mpg results are so close to indicator :)

I've recently been keeping track of my fuel mileage with this website. 02 Busa (Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa) | Fuelly The last 7 fillups I've been average 41.5MPG. I ride about 80 miles a day back and forth to work so I'm looking into a -1 or smaller rear sprocket. Currently I have +1 in the rear. Does anyone have any experience running a -1 or smaller rear sprocket that can tell me how there fuel economy changed? Thanks

Best i have done is 230km ( 143.75 miles ) doing in town riding, and highway at roughly 140kph ( 88 mph ) plus moments of madness at over 240kph ( 150 mph ) and the reserve light has yet to come on even with my mods that been done with stock sprockets

So here's my $0.02:

2007, full yoshi 4-2-1 exhaust, everything else is stock as far as I know, never been tuned.

Average riding, I get around 44-46 mpg, combination of in-town and highway riding.

Rollin the throttle harder, I get around 35 mpg.

I reset the onboard mpg indicator at a stoplight, then gassed it hard through the intersection and for long enough to get an initial reading. Result? 2.7 mpg.

On the highway, if I reset while riding, or reset just before getting on the highway, the onboard readout locks at 50mpg. Not sure why it does this. Interestingly enough, ouside of it locking up at 50mpg, the readout is pretty accurate. over a full tank, when comparing the onboard readout to the miles traveled divided by gallons added, I'm within 1-1.5 mpg.

I just reset the mileage during each fill up and divide the gallons filled by the mileage. So, there is no chance of calculation error or computer being just off a bit. I also run a SpeedoDRD and know that the MPH and mileage are spot on.

Back