Gas mileage went down

kkattan

Donating Member
Registered
Hi Guys... well after i adjusted my idle from 900rpms to 1100 rpms.. and changed my 4 plugs.. my gas mileage has gone down noticebly...

they bike still runs smooth and i dont notice anything different except the gas gauge...

here is one question.. before i changed the idle.. by bike after warming up.. and in nuetral.. the head light in low beam.. would be a little dim.. when i reved the gas.. it would brighten up... now after the idle change.. its bright all the time..

any ideas.. should it be slightly dim.. incase my rpm is not accurate.. i seem to remember this last time i adjusted my idle... i noticed a gas mileage drop..

any help? ps. i gapped the nkg plugs to .028

thanks

head light is not dim anymore because you fixed your low idle. The stator turns faster at higher RPM's so get a little more juice flowing when you crack the throttle. Mine does it to at idle... the light is dim but if i crack the throttle just a bit it gets a little brighter and my idle is set to approx 1150 rpms
smile.gif

2 words.
Trickle charger.
Then : Volt-meter.
Get out your tools and do the work.

so.. anyone think a low idle vs a high idle ( i am talking about 300 rpms) can significantly affect the gas mileage? i am not doing a lot of sitting in traffic.. yet mostly driving..

thanks.

gas mileage should be effected ...at least noticable anyway by changing your idle 300 rpms...

head light is not dim anymore because you fixed your low idle.  The stator turns faster at higher RPM's so get a little more juice flowing when you crack the throttle.  Mine does it to at idle... the light is dim but if i crack the throttle just a bit it gets a little brighter and my idle is set to approx 1150 rpms  
smile.gif
Tsgt, so when your bike is at idle.. the low beam is a little dim.. mine use to be.. but now i raised the rpm.. and its is not dim...

when i have time .. i am going to check the plugs again.. and lower the rpm.. i think i idle is too high..

i commute with the bike (15 miles one way).. and i notice a big difference on the gas gauge.

thanks

by bike is stock as far as emissions go and i get about 32 -34 mpg city and 40 - 42 in the highway... my bike idles at 1150 and i had to put it there cause when i bought it, it was at about 900. I stalled it a few times and thought it was a bit low. Found out from the board and i believe the book says that it should idle at 1100 + or - 100 rpms. As for the headlight yea... mine is slightly dim at idle but if i crack the throttle just a bit like maybe 2000 rpms the light gets brighter... thats normal! All the componets of the electrical system are pulling alot of power from the bike at idle. It i will actually drain your battery letting the bike sit at idle for a long period of time. The battery charges as you ride, rpms need to be above say 3000 or more rpms for the electrical system to run at full capacity and charge the battery. Installing LED lights and things that use less power helps your electrical system by not using as much power. Dont know if i answered your question but hope this helps!
smile.gif

Back