GPS Recommendations?

Although I would love to get a Garmin Zumo, I can't justify the cost at this time. I have been experimenting with the GPS on my Galaxy S2 (maybe upgrading to an S5 for the 5" screen). I just purchased a tank bag with an integrated GPS pocket (link below). Nice size and protects the GPS/Phone against the weather. I also ordered the 3BR Powersports 2.1A USB from Pashnit and accessory harness from smithabusa. Now just need some time to put it all together.

https://www.tourmaster.com/product/Luggage/Elite_14L_Tank_Bag__Magnetic/429/11

Sounds like a good way to go. I am going to call and see what he has for making the 3BR switched so I am not draining the battery.

Got the Ram Mount yesterday and got it installed and ready to go. Got the Sena and the GPS today. Got the headset and microphone installed in the helmet and got it synced with my phone so now I have phone and tunes. Still have to sink the GPS to the headset although I am not so sure I want the annoying GPS voice breaking in to my tunes. May just try it out this way for a bit and see what happens. Still waiting for the USB charging harness to come in so I can get that installed and as mentioned above I think I will figure out a way to install it so it only comes on when the ignition is so I do not drain the battery.

I use a TomTom 540XXL which wasn't designed for bikes but it works great. Lifetime maps as well as the ability to give me correct speed at all times. I also mounted my iphone which streams music via bluetooth to my Shoei helmet with a custom set up. It works great and unlike the iPhone the GPS is a stand alone unit that does not require a cell signal. Many of the back roads have poor if little cell phone coverage. I'll try and post a pic of my set up.

image.jpg

The right one just connects into the running lights. Took 15 minutes. 14 pulling and reinstalling gauges 1 to plug in :laugh:

I am feeling pretty proud of myself. Got the 3BR USB Power Port installed last night. It came with a splice adapter that basically pokes a holes in an existing wire on the bike with a metal spike and this makes the connection to the wire you are connecting to. I decided that seemed a little hoaky so I ended up hard wiring it in to my license plate light. I had done some work with that light when I eliminated the rear mud flap anyway so I knew where the wire was and where it was routed. I basically connected into those 2 wires near where they start under the seat. I even got out the old soldering gun and soldered everything together. Tinned the wires and got a real strong solder connection. Taped everything up and rerouted the wires. Looks really good.

Now when I turn the key on I have power to my GPS and when I turn it off again no power draw so no dead battery. Was little overwhelming at first when I took off the seat and look at all those wires coming out of all the harnesses but I stuck with it and got the job done. Very rewarding!

Back