Got a interesting view on perspectives

BigBadDodge

Registered
Figured i'd share this since alot of us own/carry firearms. Decided to go get some chipotle tonight, as always keys-check, wallet-check, phone-check, .45-check and went on my way. Guy is walking in from the side of me and notice he's carrying an springfield xd, open carrying it, which is legal in colorado, i have, but personally prefer concealed. So i go oh hey man you open carry everywhere. Tells me he carrys open everywhere he can and that its perfectly legal, so i go oh yea i know all the rules, i personally dont like to carry open but i do agree with the whole open carry "movement".
To be straight i am a firm believer open carry should be done in a either strapped holster or with some sort of retention device, he was simply carrying in nearly the same open top desanti's "slip fit" holster i carry with. but anyways...

He waits for someone outside and comes in, long line and he's a few people behind me and i hear people start talking about the "guy with the gun". I hear the guy behind me tell his wife "man maybe we should go somewhere else i dont like that at all, you cant just carry a gun around without a badge" I actually responded to him that the guy was well within his right and open carry is perfectly legal here. So i strike up a conversation with this couple and the guy behind them. Thinking to myself this guy carrying the xd is wearing creased khaki pants, nice shoes and a tucked in polo shirt, well groomed nice polite young man. Could easily pass for a detective or off duty officer with a badge on his belt. And yet everyone is looking at him as if he is a criminal. Yet they are talking to me in jeans and skater shoes, with a baseball hat and tattoos on my arms, and have no problem with me what so ever. YET i have a bigger caliber double stacked firearm, with less safety devices along with another 10rd mag on my opposite hip and the only difference between me and this other guy is mine is separated from them by an alpinestars shirt. This couple was completely clueless as to the fact that you can get a sheriff issued permit and carry a firearm concealed as well. I really wonder how many other people have absolutely no clue that someday the person that saves them during an armed robbery or some other instance may very well be some average looking guy, some lady in a dress, leathered up biker and not a cop?

Not much else I can say except for Amen to that. I like my G21 also. :beerchug:

Which is why i just think concealed is just so much smarter. Who is gonna get shot first if robbers come in?

Right there with you, man. As gun owners, common ignorance and misconceptions among the rest of the population really work against us.

It's a G33 in a Galco KingTuk for me. Never leave home without it.

And if they need an easy firearm just slip in line behind dude and relieve him of it. I carry with retention concealed or open. Folks tend to be less helpful if you're open carrying so usually I go concealed.

I keep my Glock 26 concealed, and have no problem with folks that open carry either. It's legal in VA too.:thumbsup:

I open carry occasionally, it all comes down to the gun leather you carry in. Some types of guns and holster rigs just look legit/official others don't. Ballistic nylon especially non retention models don't look legit to folks or me either. When you see a nice pro leather rig on a real gun belt you look like a pro and people think your a professional that requires a gun. Guns don freak people out - the way a gun and person look together can. If It doesn't fit the civilians eye - it makes them nervous. Case n' Point - Nobody freaks out when they see a renta cop with a weapon - why? Because they wear a uniform that anyone can purchase at the local uniform store and have a beat up "service style" weapon in a very workaday full retention holster w/ a real gun belt. In reality they could be a homocidal maniac. No matter - he looks like he's OK to carry a gun so no worries.

I saw a cowboy in wal-mart the other day(we don't have them here), he had gunbelt, revolver, and a hat! Didn't seem to bother anyone either, I thought it was kinda cool.

anyone carrying openly without at least a level II rentention holster is a complete idiot imo. cop or no cop. when ur dressed looking like a detective and carrying a gun openly with a DEA style open holster or the like ur just asking for trouble. there are plenty of people out there that dont care for the police and if given the opportunity to disarm and kill one they certainly will. the last thing I would want is someone to mistake me for a police officer when im not one.

Colorado has plenty of crime and a very serious gang problem in certain areas. gang initiation often involves killing or at least attempting to kill a police officer. Colorado has over 110 gangs with over 12,000 gang members.

if police officers in uniform with level III holsters are disarmed it can and will certainly happen with someone less authoritative wearing a gun with no or little retention. I think people just ASSume that because they are wearing a gun no one will fuk with them. wrong.

personally I think carrying a gun openly is stupid. why would you want any potiential criminal to know that YOU have a gun and that YOU might be a police officer. your the first one their gonna shoot cause ur the greatest threat.

I open carry occasionally, it all comes down to the gun leather you carry in. Some types of guns and holster rigs just look legit/official others don't. Ballistic nylon especially non retention models don't look legit to folks or me either. When you see a nice pro leather rig on a real gun belt you look like a pro and people think your a professional that requires a gun. Guns don freak people out - the way a gun and person look together can. If It doesn't fit the civilians eye - it makes them nervous. Case n' Point - Nobody freaks out when they see a renta cop with a weapon - why? Because they wear a uniform that anyone can purchase at the local uniform store and have a beat up "service style" weapon in a very workaday full retention holster w/ a real gun belt. In reality they could be a homocidal maniac. No matter - he looks like he's OK to carry a gun so no worries.

See - uniform, right gun and holster - my point exactly. :laugh:

I do see that, but as i said this guy really could have pulled off the off duty/detective gig, he might have been for all i know, had a nice clean holster on (by that i mean not scraped up and showing wear like mine) holster and gun hugged his side real nice he really looked the part.

anyone carrying openly without at least a level II rentention holster is a complete idiot imo. cop or no cop. when ur dressed looking like a detective and carrying a gun openly with a DEA style open holster or the like ur just asking for trouble. there are plenty of people out there that dont care for the police and if given the opportunity to disarm and kill one they certainly will. the last thing I would want is someone to mistake me for a police officer when im not one.

Colorado has plenty of crime and a very serious gang problem in certain areas. gang initiation often involves killing or at least attempting to kill a police officer. Colorado has over 110 gangs with over 12,000 gang members.

if it happens with police officers in uniform with level III holsters it can and will certainly happen with someone less authoritative wearing a gun with a no or little retentionl. I think people just ASSume that because they are wearing a gun no one will fuk with them. wrong.

personally I think carrying a gun openly is stupid. why would you want any potiential criminal to know that YOU have a gun and that YOU might be a police officer. your the first one their gonna shoot cause ur the greatest threat.

Agree 100000%

.40 Springfield XDM w/ paddle holster and 2 mag holster here. It goes where I go. Mostly concealed. Well, while I was in VA, I knew where i could open carry and ppl wouldn't look twice except for the other enthusiast. And I knew where if I carried open I would be looked at like i had a bomb on my chest so.... I was smart about it...

if police officers in uniform with level III holsters are disarmed it can and will certainly happen with someone less authoritative wearing a gun with no or little retention. I think people just ASSume that because they are wearing a gun no one will fuk with them. wrong.

I live in the country, with a very low crime rate, and where open carry is normal. Not everyone does, but it's not uncommon to see...unless you're a cowboy:laugh:
I do agree with you though.:beerchug:

Might as well add mine in here:laugh: Glock 30 with a spare mag with me everywhere. need to pickup something small again to carry come summer as the 30 is pretty bulky, made the mistake of selling my .380 for quick cash to buy some truck parts i needed last summer :banghead:

I'm actually looking into being a cop again :whistle:

I had knocked out all the testing right out of high school, had a few offers on the table and got cold feet so to speak, started worrying about my parents and the what if's if they lost another kid as an officer. But its always something thats sat on the back of my mind and i'm to a point where i kind of need a change in my life.

Yeah, my little Glock holds 10, +1 in the hole.
I have a 32 round magazine in the glovebox too...just in case:laugh:

Might as well add mine in here:laugh: Glock 30 with a spare mag with me everywhere. need to pickup something small again to carry come summer as the 30 is pretty bulky, made the mistake of selling my .380 for quick cash to buy some truck parts i needed last summer :banghead:

I'm actually looking into being a cop again :whistle:

I had knocked out all the testing right out of high school, had a few offers on the table and got cold feet so to speak, started worrying about my parents and the what if's if they lost another kid as an officer. But its always something thats sat on the back of my mind and i'm to a point where i kind of need a change in my life.

Pretty much made up my mind that when i get home from overseas... Thats what im going to do, maybe start with the sheriffs dept. then onto the rangers or marshals or border patrol... not sure after i get my foot in the door

I was talking to a friend of mine this past weekend who is a local leo, he said he'd check around see what they had open, talked to him tonight and while they dont have any posted openings they are interested in doing an "informal" interview with me due to my experience with the working dogs. which honestly would be my dream job:laugh:

I was talking to a friend of mine this past weekend who is a local leo, he said he'd check around see what they had open, talked to him tonight and while they dont have any posted openings they are interested in doing an "informal" interview with me due to my experience with the working dogs. which honestly would be my dream job:laugh:

That would be sweet....Best of Luck !!! Hope you get it:thumbsup:

Back