Goodnight ORG ............................. here's a moon to you!

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Sorry for the Quality and the half shot Captain, still working on that full moon shot for you.

Did not have my good eye on tonight but hope you enjoy anyway.
Bubba

IMG_8000.JPG

Not the kind of moon I usually get in my face, but very nice, appreciate it. thanks:cheerleader:

Looks good! What lense are you shooting with?

Its called a Bigma in the camera slang. It is a Sigma 50-500mm 4-6.3 fstop.
It usually does better than this, I was just not into it tonight.
Bubba

Nice. You ever use a teleconverter Bubba? I'd like to get one. I've read the Canon 2x is not good optically, but it's tough to get excited about their 1.4x

Nice. You ever use a teleconverter Bubba? I'd like to get one. I've read the Canon 2x is not good optically, but it's tough to get excited about their 1.4x

I use the 1.4 on the L lenses sometimes and I love it!
I have never used the 2.0 and with the 40D I do not think I need to.
Bubba

Do you know what I did wrong?

I did not use the mirror lock up which I usually do.
I finally analyzed it all, and this is the reason it is not as focused as it should be.
I am such and idiot :banghead:
But I still learned from it.
Good thing about ignorance is, it is curable, stupidity is not.

Do you know what I did wrong?

I did not use the mirror lock up which I usually do.
I finally analyzed it all, and this is the reason it is not as focused as it should be.
I am such and idiot :banghead:
But I still learned from it.
Good thing about ignorance is, it is curable, stupidity is not.

Eh, it's not as if we'll never see the moon again, right? It could also be that the lense you use is a little soft wide open (most are). Try that shot again at ISO 400, f8, and 1/160 or so and see what you get. I don't know how the 40d is with noise at higer ISO, but 400 should produce results you can clean up in post processing.

Telephoto work with slow glass, compounded even more with additional light loss through a teleconverter, is a tough challenge to master.

Another thing to consider is that the moon moves faster than we realize, and the "closer" we get to it with telephoto lenses, the more that motion is likely to impact image quality. 1/60 of a second (what you used) is pretty close to the absolute minimum shutter speed that's going to produce a sharp image even if the camera is tripod mounted.

I like the detail shown in your exposure. I made mine a little brighter to emphasize the "edge of the cliff" feeling. It's tough to decide what the best exposure is for something like the moon, but that's one of those great things about art...there's no one "right" answer.

Shot at ISO 400, f8, 1/60...same shutter speed as you used, but hand held (think I used the deck rail to help support if I recall correctly) with the 100-400 f4.5-5.6:

3958969638_bbe835099c_o.jpg

Eh, it's not as if we'll never see the moon again, right? It could also be that the lense you use is a little soft wide open (most are). Try that shot again at ISO 400, f8, and 1/160 or so and see what you get. I don't know how the 40d is with noise at higer ISO, but 400 should produce results you can clean up in post processing.

Telephoto work with slow glass, compounded even more with additional light loss through a teleconverter, is a tough challenge to master.

Another thing to consider is that the moon moves faster than we realize, and the "closer" we get to it with telephoto lenses, the more that motion is likely to impact image quality. 1/60 of a second (what you used) is pretty close to the absolute minimum shutter speed that's going to produce a sharp image even if the camera is tripod mounted.

I like the detail shown in your exposure. I made mine a little brighter to emphasize the "edge of the cliff" feeling. It's tough to decide what the best exposure is for something like the moon, but that's one of those great things about art...there's no one "right" answer.

Shot at ISO 400, f8, 1/60...same shutter speed as you used, but hand held (think I used the deck rail to help support if I recall correctly) with the 100-400 f4.5-5.6:

3958969638_bbe835099c_o.jpg

Great shot, and hand held Wow.
Thanks for the info, and remind me when the next full moon is so I can get that final phase. I always forget and miss the real full moon.
Bubba

Back