((PING)) – F=MA ……..….or any shutterbugs

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
I have been trying to get some good moon shots and tonight is a half moon.
It was perfect this morning when I went to work and I hope it is still nice tonight.

Do you (or anyone) have the equip to get some good shots?
I will try to get some tonight and post them.

I got a few of a ¾ moon and I would like to get some of all phases but I can’t always get the time – with seven people in the house right now it’s difficult to do anything.

Here is one of the shots I did a while back.

Post em if ya got em.
Thanks
Bubba

IMG_1027P resize.jpg

Very nice!

The 100-400 is the longest focal length I have. I'd like to get a 1.4 teleconverter.

I don't think it's possible to do better than what you've got there without spending really big money on a 600mm or longer lense...or perhaps finding a telescope with a camera mount.

Again, nice work! Here's the best I've gotten to date...the second was taken while cruising along at 34,000 feet:

Moon 1.jpg

Moon Over Clouds.jpg

Very nice:thumbsup:
Thanks
I will try later.
What are the specs and equip?
I was using a 50-500mm Sigma, spot metering on the moon and using mirror lockup and remote.
The lens is not the best but it gets in there pretty nice when you need to.
Bubba

#1 was shot in Manual mode, handheld (used deck bannister for support), at ISO 400, f8, 1/60, at 400mm with image stabilization on. It's cropped from the native resolution 4368X2912 pixels the 5d produces. Current resolution is 1260X1296 pixels.

#2 isn't much of a photograph from a technical standpoint...and the moon is way overexposed, as my goal was to experiment to see if I could get a shot of the shadows and texture of the cloud deck we were cruising over at 500+ m.p.h.

That one was shot at ISO 3200 (noisy when viewed at full size), f4, 1/3 second exposure with a 24-105 f4L mounted on the camera, which was positioned on the glareshield and triggered using the timer.

The only way I could bring myself to keep this shot was to reduce it down to 640X420 pixels.

I use spot metering almost exclusively, as I'm a control freak and I don't want to allow the camera to meter on what it thinks I want to be exposed correctly.

Gotta love that 5D. I have often thought about moving into the Pro cameras, I am not that wild about the 1.6 crop that the 40D and other digital cameras produce.
The Sigma lens is a variable fstop 4-6.3 and is not bad as far as price.
Got it for less than a grand two years ago.
probably cheaper now.

I cant see the moon now so I may have to get the shots at 4:00a B/4 I go to work.
Thanks
Bubba

Here are a couple from when the Moon and I believe it was Venus at the closest they will be for quite some time.
Not good pics but what the hay.
Bubba

IMG_4241 rszd.JPG

IMG_4246 rszd.JPG

the best I ever did was using an adapter that connected my Nikon D200 to my 8inch telescope..

AMAZING shots... I will see if I can dig them up. It's amazing how difficult it can be to get shots of the moon... It moves more than it seems.....

Great shots above by the way.......

the best I ever did was using an adapter that connected my Nikon D200 to my 8inch telescope..

AMAZING shots... I will see if I can dig them up. It's amazing how difficult it can be to get shots of the moon... It moves more than it seems.....

Great shots above by the way.......

Yes the movement is very hard to deal with and a lot of times I take too long and the moon has moved out of the focal area and I get the weirdest shots.
Thanks for the props
The moon is still not here at 8:20p Cali time.
Bubba

Well this is the best of the bunch from this morning.
Not too bad.
I still need lots of practice.
thanks for looking,
Bubba

IMG_4675.JPG

Great pics! I need to go ahead and order that new D700 to get back into the hobby.

Do it, man, Do it.
Its great fun and besides you are going to need one to take pics when you go on rides so you can post em up.
Can't wait to see some pics.
thanks

Bubba

Back