Good mods for the money?

Gear Jammer '94

Registered

Every since the Hayabusa came out I have also wanted one. Two years, and many miles ago, I bought a black and silver '05. Best purchase I ever made! I ride as much as I can, bracket race every now and then, and plan to hit some track days too. I LOVE the bike, have no plans to ever sell it, and look forward to experiencing new things on it. As great of a bike as it is I believe the performance can be improved though. I recently relocated to Tyler, Texas and contacted Southwest Superbikes. They recommended a full exhaust system from Yosh, a Power Commander, eliminating the timing retard, air box mod, a good tune, and some other odds and ends. Total price, depending on the system I chose, will be about $2,500. I have no doubt they will do excellent work but wanted opinions from those of you that have went this route if these mods will be worth it. Is picking up almost 20hp that noticeable and will I enjoy the bike more? I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

I think the prediction of 20 HP with those mods is a little off but 10-12 is very possible for sure. I am certain we can drop that 2500.00 parts bin number down pretty fast. Let me know.

Greg

Are you installing them yourself or having the shop do it? Where is Southwest Superbikes?

If you still have the stock exhaust on it, going to a 4 to 1 will be noticeable just in weight loss.

You may think about either going to a 43 rear sprocket(+3) or down 1 in the front to a 16 tooth. The rear sprocket would be an easier change out.

If you have the time...after getting your parts put on, you may think about heading just outside Austin and get Johnny Cheese to tune it for you.

Southwest Superbikes is in the Dallas area. I plan to have them do all the work. I used to build drag cars and am fairly mechanical but know very little about wrenching on bikes. I have done my research and believe them to be a first class facility. Thanks for the post GPW but Maryland would be a long drive. :) 10-12hp may have been what they said; I don't know why I had 20hp on the brain. I'm just wondering if the money spent for that much of a hp gain would be noticeable and more enjoyable.

Southwest Superbikes is in the Dallas area. I plan to have them do all the work. I used to build drag cars and am fairly mechanical but know very little about wrenching on bikes. I have done my research and believe them to be a first class facility. Thanks for the post GPW but Maryland would be a long drive. :) 10-12hp may have been what they said; I don't know why I had 20hp on the brain. I'm just wondering if the money spent for that much of a hp gain would be noticeable and more enjoyable.
My point was your parts list should be under 1500.00 and a tune and install..no more than $600.00. So there is about 400.00 there you could do something else with. Good luck. :beerchug:

Oh, got you. I'll give you a call and can check on the parts with you. Thanks! Regarding the chain and sprockets I've already replaced those. Sorry; forgot to mention that. Went with a high quality aftermarket set going down one in the front and keeping the rear the same. That helped acceleration but the bike still feels "sluggish" in the mid-range.

The price seems a little steep. You'll notice the difference, between the weight loss and power add. You might want to check into other pipes if performance is what you're after. Yosh makes a good pipe, you just might be able to pick up a couple ponies with someone else.

If your gonna drag race it you'll want to look into getting the Brocks clutch mod. As far as the pipes, I just got TiForce full system from GPW(Hyperbike centers) and noticed an immediate difference in power:thumbsup: With the pipe and a dynojet map I ran .2 qwuiker and almost 2 mph faster than my previous best. I went from a 10.37 @ 135.26
to 10.188 @ 136.98 mph.

I've used the search function to find the best full exhaust and there are a lot of opinions and thoughts. What would be the best system for real-world streetable mid-range power? Also, what is the Brock's clutch mod?

It would be closer to a 10-12hp gain, and it would be noticeable.....but not $2500 noticeable. A sprocket change alone will give you as big or bigger of a bang. If you do the work yourself though to save some bucks, and throw on 16/42 gearing, the huge weight loss and huge sotp acceleration gain will be VERY well worth it.....it'll feel like a whole new bike :thumbsup:

All good advice above. Looks like you're covered.

Be sure to let us know what you decide & post pics. Good luck!

best bang for the buck change your sprockets -1 front ,+2 rear,do the other mods your self or if you need their is plenty of people in the area that would be willing to help. :beerchug:

I've used the search function to find the best full exhaust and there are a lot of opinions and thoughts. What would be the best system for real-world streetable mid-range power?

I agree I've searched and searched. I've gotten to the point in life where I HATE changing parts back and forth looking for the right one. Not to mention quality pipes for the busa are expensive. When looking at dropping 2k for a basic setup makes me look at turbo's more and more.
oh and a 44t rear is more fun. :thumbsup:

best bang for the buck change your sprockets -1 front ,+2 rear,do the other mods your self or if you need their is plenty of people in the area that would be willing to help. :beerchug:

Already went down -1 on the front sprocket when they needed replaced along with the chain. Did notice a nice difference but the bike still feels "lazy" in the mid-range to me. Here is the web site for Southwest Superbikes:

SOUTHWEST SUPERBIKES Dallas, TX

What I liked about them, other than their professionalism and knowledge of the Hayabusas, was the fact that I could drop the bike off and pick it up two weeks later turn-key. Exhaust installed, power commander, factory timing retard eliminated, air box mod completed, fresh fluids and filters, and dyno tuned. Just wondering how much difference I'll notice in the bike's performance.

So here is my two cents buy the items you want install them your self or if you need help there are plenty of Texas Busa folks that would be more than happy to help you then I would recommend you take your bike to Johnny Cheese to have it mapped. His shop is located here in Round Rock, TX :thumbsup:

So what would the sprocket change, ie -1, +2 or +3 do to the top end? Also, would you then need a Speedohealer too?

Back