Good fitting carbon fiber?

Blacksmith

Registered
Hey guys it's been a while, been riding just no time for mods lately but I'm ready I think. I need to pull my fairings and install my led's anyway and I'd really like to get a few cf parts while I'm at it. Nothing crazy just the upper and lower dash panels and the front and rear "light bumps'. I've seen a couple of white bikes like mine online with those done but every time in red about someone here trying to do it the parts don't fit right and they end up giving up on it. Are there any places making good fitting cf parts for the Gen 2's?

There are good and bad out there for sure , I generally like the Japanese made stuff through Webike , but you can still have fitment issues occasionally . Magical Racing , A-TECH are two I am familiar with .
Motorcycle Carbon Fiber and Performance Parts - Motocomposites has a pretty good reputation for quality , I was a bit sus of them , then @fallenarch got some nice pieces , so then I gave them a go .
Montgomery Motorsports Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Products have some of the very best carbon items for Busa in the world , @Dai. has an awesome Gen 2 with a lot of high end kit from them , and also features a lot of the top quality Japanese carbon .
My only advice is have a good look at how the carbon pieces compare to the stock pieces you want replaced , check the tabs , the joins etc. then if same or similar , you will know at least it will come on /off similar to the stock removal .

Thanks RT! I'll look at the links. There's not a busa within 150 miles of me that has anything other than ex swing arms and fat tires so nothing to compare to or see in person.

Thanks RT! I'll look at the links. There's not a busa within 150 miles of me that has anything other than ex swing arms and fat tires so nothing to compare to or see in person.
@ROADTOAD1340 and a few others that he mentioned are the ones to listen to about this they have at some of the most awesome busas out there and anywhere they suggest is gonna be the spot to shop for sure :thumbsup: . Be sure to post up some pics when u get out all fitted up.

I'm looking at Motocomposites, has anyone used their colored parts? Mine is white with the blue konji so if the blue matches the factory konji color that could be cool

I'm looking at Motocomposites, has anyone used their colored parts? Mine is white with the blue konji so if the blue matches the factory konji color that could be cool
I think @fallenarch has some pieces colored , might be wrong about that , see if he can answer . You can check his bike in the showcase section too bro .

I have the blue. Looks nice fitment was not the best.
190914 Finished 10.jpg

190812 Final fitting 03.jpg

One issue with the colored CF is it's hard to get everything matching. If you have a lot of CF bits they are generally going to be plain CF. For example my Yoshi CF R77. Would be very complicated to do that in the blue to match. As for fitment, the reason the screw that holds the side panel to the front cowl is missing is because the CF panel tab blocks the screw. I eventually redrilled the hole.

If you find a good fit aftermarket anything your doing good. Cash is king bike has about 5k in carbon bodywork. He had Montgomery fly out to fit his. They had trouble. And he still hacked on it after a few passes. I have talked to people for years about abs and aftermarket. Even hit people up selling bike cause I new it wasnt oem to see how it went. Hit and miss that's what you will get. I still work on mine

A lot of the fitment issues stem from the fact that the parts are molded from molds made right off the plastic parts. The problem is the plastic is very flexible and when laid flat is not the same shape as the part actually mounted on the bike. This is not a problem for the plastic knock-off fairings, but CF is amazingly stiff and thin. So it is a bit of a wrestling match getting the CF on.

Another source of problems is the thinness of the CF. It makes the interlocking tabbed parts fit loose, not snuggly like the thicker plastic stuff. It also allows movement in joints designed to be tight with the plastic.

Frankly, I used epoxy on a few of the joints because there was just no way to get a joint that would stand the test of time with the CF, especially where it mates to plastic.

One issue with the colored CF is it's hard to get everything matching. If you have a lot of CF bits they are generally going to be plain CF. For example my Yoshi CF R77. Would be very complicated to do that in the blue to match. As for fitment, the reason the screw that holds the side panel to the front cowl is missing is because the CF panel tab blocks the screw. I eventually redrilled the hole.
Yeah I was wondering about that, like if you get pieces from different batches you can't really tell until they're close together. I'll just go with the plain black gloss if I do it, I love the look I just hate to have something look bad when it's bought just to look good. Thanks for the replies though guys, as always yall got the answers.

Yeah I was wondering about that, like if you get pieces from different batches you can't really tell until they're close together. I'll just go with the plain black gloss if I do it, I love the look I just hate to have something look bad when it's bought just to look good. Thanks for the replies though guys, as always yall got the answers.
I will say that the color is very forgiving. It kind of reacts to whatever is near it because of the gloss. The color is actually pretty subtle. For example, the CF looks like a perfect match to my old dark blue color. When it was all together it looked perfect.

190522 Old Color with CF.jpg
190521 Comparing Blues.jpg

Dude that is one gorgeous bike you got there
Thanks. The crazy thing is it handles and stops even better than it looks! I never went into the engine so that's stock except for the full Yoshi, K & N, PC5, and tune. I let a friend ride it and he couldn't believe it was a 12-year-old bike. I never really figured out where I wanted to take the engine. I would like around 220-250 RWHP, but I want all motor. When I ride her it's an all-day ride and I love the twisties so the turbo thing never seemed like the right route.

Anyway, Motocomposites has exceptional finish quality outside of the fitment issues. The consistency between pieces is very close too. The color is not in your face, it's pretty tasteful. It did take them forever to do it though, and I can't imagine that's any better given COVID and all.

Good luck. CF is a beautiful material even in natural black.

Back