good clutch for a turbo build?

if you get tuerbo pistons, dont need base plate spacer as pistons are shorter (i think thats correct) to lesson the compression just by installing them, if i were to use regular pistons i would need to use spacer to make less compression. at least this is what i have seen on shintz website about getting the turbo pistons it automatically drops the compression to 9:1. i already have an ecu editor, and data logger, meesed with it to load a custom map, but should be plug and play for a tuner who uses ecu editor to control the injectors, i definitely want the engine buit good. im up for any input so i get it right the first time

Gen 1 bikes still require a base spacer with turbo pistons, gen 2 bikes don't unless otherwise noted.

if you had a mtc multi stage and it rattled like a ducati dry clutch you had something seriously wrong with it. I have ran several and non of them made any noise different then a stock clutch.

JE and Wossner pistons require it, CP apparently don't. I didn't know that before! But I like JE, very good track record and listed as 'Extreme Duty', ha ha!
seems like JE has become quite a popular piston with PST bikes so I'm thinkn of goin with those maybe. they were cracking at one time but that was many years ago.

still like the Wossner pistons. I have them in my motor now but one is bent. the others are fine but I'm replacing all of them since everything else is gonna be new. gonna get them coated tho. prob swain

Pistons - Sorry, I keep looking at the Gen 1 piston kits. Most Gen 2 do not require base spacer it looks like. Point was need low compression for stage 2 and boost more than 8psi, but irdeath has that covered.

lockup clutch noise - Maybe I exaggerated a little, rattle was only noticeable at an idle, I worked with Keven at MTC, it was fine, listened to many others at the track, same as mine. I run a muffler on the street so maybe more noticeable. I ran it for 3 years. A strip only bike I would run a multistage, but not a commuter/weekend warrior bike.

20130620_183534%20Copy.jpg

Pic of NLR boost clutch, but now I have quick connects. Fairing was cut for lockup :banghead:

Not true on the JE - they have two versions - the standard and the tall-deck version which do require a spacer. The standard does not require the base plate to make the CR listed.

SUZUKI - 1999-2007 GSX 1300R - JE Pistons

Turbo pistons which do not require a base spacer, hence not requiring adjustable cam sprockets. Sounds like something mainstream for a 6-71 SBC or BBC with technology that has been around for ages. Why is this not being utilized more or does this truly not address the compression ratio problem on a gen 1? Am I missing something or why the **** are we still screwing around with base spacers? I must admit that I am baffled at the fact that piston design requires such a thing as a spacer between the block to add cc to the combustion chamber. Unless this market is so small and a niche that isn't worth a manufacturer pursuing.

All to do with available space, gen 1 has the 20mm piston pin and not enough distance above it to do anything for lowering the compression, gen 2 has 18mm pin because of its extra stroke and still some room in the piston to move things around enough to lower compression without overlapping oil rings and piston pins .
i run gen 1 pistons and rods with my gen 2 crank and .120 spacer on my LSR motors because of high boost levels and wanting the extra strength and bearing surface of the bigger pin

I wasn't aware of the pin size difference. I can understand that being a problem. Im used to v8s, I don't always get it when it comes to this stuff and maybe quick to jump to conclusions about stuff I don't really know.

When they first did the turbo pistons for the gen 1 it was pretty well thought out , spacer gives you the room you need to design a good piston with low compression but with enough height in the sides for proper piston to head clearance (squish)

Back