Gonna do few things before spring....need some opinions

Amelio

Registered
Ok I am on an '06 performance wise basically stock I dont think the shorty exhaust gives me any more hp. It has a 6" stretch with a 200 series Dunlop tire that is about a year old....the previous owner had put it on just before I bought it. at the moment I would have to say this tire blows......I can not keep it from spinning even at half throttle forget about cranking it wide open eben in second it spins bad. I know this has a lot to do with the stretch but I would think I could get a lil better tire. Went riding Sunday and had a hard time staying next to my budies R6 since I had to roll in the throttle slow and not go mre than 3/4 throttle......lame!

Anyway I wanna get new tires and would like some recomendations from other stretched busa owners having the same issue. Second the Bike was stretched and never lowerd so it sits a lil to high...it actually handle pretty well but wanna drop it an inch or two. I think I may go with the Soupy's adjustables...thoughts?

Lastly I have been thinking of changing the sprokets maybe 1 down in front and 2 or 3 out back. what are you running and how do you like it?

thanks!

stock is 17/42 i belive...i run 16/40 and its a bit more of a kick... if you are spinning that much...are you sure they didnt do anything modifications wise or do you just have that hard of a tire.

Can't go wrong with the soupys links. Love mine!

Stock on Gen 1 bikes were 17/40. Gen 2 is 18/43. I was geared very low for drag racing, at 17/45. 17/43 is a great all around gear, IMO. You can put a front sprocket that is 16 and gainthe same thing, but I liked having the larger sprocket in front for that extra wrap. Makes it easier on the chain.

As far as tires go, once my stockers wore out, I ran nothing but Shinkos in the rear. Partly because of the price, but also because they were great for the track

From your description the rear tire won't make a big difference. If you're staying with the stretch then change the rear suspension to help with the tire spin. I have to agree with the above. Shinko makes a tire that give a much improved patch and they're cheap.

From your description the rear tire won't make a big difference. If you're staying with the stretch then change the rear suspension to help with the tire spin. I have to agree with the above. Shinko makes a tire that give a much improved patch and they're cheap.

I was going to say the same thing he said:thumbsup:

I don't know how much you weigh but if your racing -1/+2 is a good start. If you have a 6 in stretch it won't matter what type of tire you get you will still spin in the street. Shinko is a good tire but it really only works good until you heat it up. Michelin power 1 is also a good tire but a little more pricey. This tire also needs to be heated up for best performance. Just don't want you to think that putting on a better tire will make it stop spinning. Welcome to the world of stretched bikes

thanks for the reply's.........as far as performance I am pretty sure the bike is stock. I don't really drag the bike, I may take it to the track a few times but I have two race cars for that. I thought I may need to play with the rear spring I know a tire alone will not fix the issue but something has got to be better than the Dunlop that is on there..

This is a street bike all the way, riding around town but I do beat on it a bit when the wife is not on.....I weigh 200 and i thought about playing with the spring but not sure how that would hurt with 2up. The bike feels real good and stable 2up and possible just lowering it will be all I want to do.

Are the Shinko's a good all around tire or are there mostly for drag racing? I would probably lean to more of a street tire and deal with the tire spin if that is the case. Also may go a head and just do a rear sprocket.... to a 43 and take advantage of the torque in 2nd and 3rd.

I run shinko's on the street and i think they are great. I have 17/43 gears plus mods in my sig and make about 175 hp at the back tire. But shinkos are on the heavy side so the dyno reads lower numbers cuz of the weight. I have never spun my shinko on the street but i'm on the stock arm and lowered. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

I think lowering it would be a great place to start to help to spinning but a better rear will definately help a little but between the two you should see a noticeable increase in traction

To me it sounds like you need a new rear shock spring in addition to the lowering. If the rear is stretched without the corresponding increase in spring rate, you'll have trouble hooking up no matter what tire you run. That being said if you're not planning to drag race, just lose the stretch(assuming it's extentions and not an oversized swingarm). It will corner better, hook up better and be cheaper. Also want to caution about going too low. 1" is probably good, 2" will have you scraping over the slightest bumps in the road. Well good luck.

The only thing that I can comment on are the Soupy's links. They are great an I recommend them. :thumbsup::cheerleader:

I run shinko's on the street and i think they are great. I have 17/43 gears plus mods in my sig and make about 175 hp at the back tire. But shinkos are on the heavy side so the dyno reads lower numbers cuz of the weight. I have never spun my shinko on the street but i'm on the stock arm and lowered. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Thanks....I will look at the Shinko's....and will also look at a 43tooth rear....now if I only go 3 teeth bigger in the rear will that require a new chain? If so do they size chains per gear size and also include it being stretched? I know the theory but I have never changed the sprockets or gears on any bike I have owned.

To me it sounds like you need a new rear shock spring in addition to the lowering. If the rear is stretched without the corresponding increase in spring rate, you'll have trouble hooking up no matter what tire you run. That being said if you're not planning to drag race, just lose the stretch(assuming it's extentions and not an oversized swingarm). It will corner better, hook up better and be cheaper. Also want to caution about going too low. 1" is probably good, 2" will have you scraping over the slightest bumps in the road. Well good luck.

yeah they are extension blocks.....the Busa I had before this one was stock, when I bought this bike I was looking for one already stretched. My one wheel riding,knee dragging days are in the past...except when I get on my brothers TL1000 or my buddies ZX10:rofl: I have this thing now to cruise and play with a bit so no plans on putting back to stock length. Thanks for the heads up on lowering....thats why I will most likely go with the Soupy's since they are fully adjustable.

Back