Getting Old!

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Got tested this week for a hearing aid! Now I will admit that I'm really good for not hearing stuff when I don't want to but I always hear "dinner's ready". Doc says I have the motorcycle curve to my hearing (high end tails off). Not too bad yet but I'm having trouble hearing, especially in crowds. Anyone got any hearing aid advice?

Losing hearing and vision is one of my fears when it comes to aging. I get headaches and once thought it was time for glasses, when I went to get checked out, I was told that my vision was amazing still (which I kind of knew). At work, My hearing is tested annually and it hasn’t changed in ten years, which I’m surprised to see since I ride motorcycles, work in a really loud environment(earplugs are mandatory) and always have headophones at home while listening to music and playing this contraption of a “drum” called tambora. My car also has a 3000 watts sound system. I really hope It stays like this for many years, but I’m only 31 (32 next month) now, so I also still have my hair too. :thumbsup:
Hope you can get the right equipment for the job and that your hearing doesn’t get any worse for a while.

I had full knee replacement 3 weeks ago on left, will do the right Dec 20 should be back on the bike this spring! You think hearing aids are ruff!!!!!

Not too bad yet but I'm having trouble hearing, especially in crowds. Anyone got any hearing aid advice?

kobecanthearu.gif

giphy.gif

:beerchug:

Losing hearing and vision is one of my fears when it comes to aging. I get headaches and once thought it was time for glasses, when I went to get checked out, I was told that my vision was amazing still (which I kind of knew). At work, My hearing is tested annually and it hasn’t changed in ten years, which I’m surprised to see since I ride motorcycles, work in a really loud environment(earplugs are mandatory) and always have headophones at home while listening to music and playing this contraption of a “drum” called tambora. My car also has a 3000 watts sound system. I really hope It stays like this for many years, but I’m only 31 (32 next month) now, so I also still have my hair too. :thumbsup:
Hope you can get the right equipment for the job and that your hearing doesn’t get any worse for a while.

I started having problems at around 50. Ears went slowly. I think it might be earbuds. I read an article that in ear headphones actually deliver more pressure to the ear for a given perceived volume. I blast music for 6-10 hours straight when riding. I also have dry eye from the wind on the eyes (I think). Not sure why they call it dry eye because the eyes cry constantly. So even though I still have 20/20 vision the water makes it difficult to see sometimes.

Still with all of that, I have minimal back issues and I still need a haircut every 2 weeks so I feel pretty lucky!

Work took 60% of my left side hearing and 35% of my right side. Been hearing impaired for about 20 years now. I have high frequency loss bad. I also struggle in crowds. So very similar to where you are in that area Arch. And my nerve damage has resulted in a constant background tinnitus. I best describe mine as the constant sound of cicadas in the background. Some days its loud other days not, but all days it is always there.

I have StarKey hearing aides. All digital. They are very good in some areas, and a compromise in other areas. There are times when I can't or don't wear them as they can make things worse.

What they can do is establish programmable settings so that you can select the best profile for the circumstance. I have 3 settings. I think I can have like 6 settings. All my settings cancel out the background noise. They also however cancel out anything in that frequency range.

One is for crowds, one is for high noise environments, and one is for low noise environments. You're gonna be SHOCKED at what all you couldn't hear when the aides are in and working. I call them bionic ears now.

Work took 60% of my left side hearing and 35% of my right side. Been hearing impaired for about 20 years now. I have high frequency loss bad. I also struggle in crowds. So very similar to where you are in that area Arch. And my nerve damage has resulted in a constant background tinnitus. I best describe mine as the constant sound of cicadas in the background. Some days its loud other days not, but all days it is always there.

I have StarKey hearing aides. All digital. They are very good in some areas, and a compromise in other areas. There are times when I can't or don't wear them as they can make things worse.

What they can do is establish programmable settings so that you can select the best profile for the circumstance. I have 3 settings. I think I can have like 6 settings. All my settings cancel out the background noise. They also however cancel out anything in that frequency range.

One is for crowds, one is for high noise environments, and one is for low noise environments. You're gonna be SHOCKED at what all you couldn't hear when the aides are in and working. I call them bionic ears now.

Yes, I have tinnitus too. Not so bad, always there but it doesn't bother me. So do you hear echos with your hearing aid and how long did it take to get used to them?

It took a few sessions of tuning to get them customized to you. I wouldn't say echoes. I'd say sometimes its more like a reverb effect. You are hearing more of the sound than you were before so its more the idea that the word you heard before was a shortened version of what you will hear with the aides. You pick up the tail offs more than you did before.

As far as getting used to them, the main part was the fitting in the ear canal. They have different size positioners I'll call them, that hold them where they work best in the canal. They take some tweaking to get right initially. I have 2 different sized ones. Then the worst part was the feeling like you had a slight feeling of a foreign body that the canal hairs tell you is there. That fades. For me I was forgetting they were in my ear in about 3 weeks time.

Mine are now outdated. The new ones are all blue-tooth and spiffy now. Much more discreet to control. Mine have a little button you touch with your finger and it lets you know the programmed setting you are in and when you change it.

Back