Generational gap or region??

RangerThat

Registered
The last year or so I've been noticing a ton of new riders starting out with bikes that are way below a 600cc range. When I started riding sport bikes in 2000 all my friends said to start out with a 600cc. (Nobody rode anything below a 600cc. in the south east.)

Is it just me or is this generation of sport bike riders just too scared or too safe to try anything that's a 600cc or above???

The last year or so I've been noticing a ton of new riders starting out with bikes that are way below a 600cc range. When I started riding sport bikes in 2000 all my friends said to start out with a 600cc. (Nobody rode anything below a 600cc. in the south east.)

Is it just me or is this generation of sport bike riders just too scared or too safe to try anything that's a 600cc or above???
Around here at least it's the insurance that's killing off motorcycling....some keep to the smaller displacements to alleviate the high insurance premiums...

Dang, never thought about that. Those are good points about the insurance cost as well as the styling.
I'd ride one of those little bikes in a heartbeat....

A few years ago I went into a dealership and they had 4 Honda CBRs all sitting next to each other...a 300, 600, 650 (twin), and 1000 all in the exact same color and graphics...I should have taken a picture but I had a flip phone in those days....

I'd ride one of those little bikes in a heartbeat....

A few years ago I went into a dealership and they had 4 Honda CBRs all sitting next to each other...a 300, 600, 650 (twin), and 1000 all in the exact same color and graphics...I should have taken a picture but I had a flip phone in those days....
Had to laugh at the flip phone reference

Dang, never thought about that. Those are good points about the insurance cost as well as the styling.
Around here a lot of people are getting the smaller bikes because they are really fun on the track and the turns in general. Also there a lot of the Amazon motorcyles popping up because of the price, got a buddy who is testing out a friend of his cfmoto 450ss and he says he's really amazed and impressed with it.

I own a 230 because it goes where the Busa can't (dirt!!) and vice versa (a hundred miles in under an hour!!).
Although I admit, getting on the Busa after the trail bike requires some (mental) adjustments:cool:.
Amazing how enduro riding tends to punish target fixation. Amazing how far ahead I'm looking now on the Busa.
I started on a 350 Honda in the 70's

I own a 230 because it goes where the Busa can't (dirt!!) and vice versa (a hundred miles in under an hour!!).
Although I admit, getting on the Busa after the trail bike requires some (mental) adjustments:cool:.
Amazing how enduro riding tends to punish target fixation. Amazing how far ahead I'm looking now on the Busa.
I started on a 350 Honda in the 70's
Hi. My daughter started on a 250. This year she bought a 1200.

20230709_125116.jpg

Hi. My daughter started on a 250. This year she bought a 1200.

She did take

View attachment 1668661
Hi. She never droped her 1 st bike. She did take a riding classes. We did put crash bare on her new bike. She does ride very well. We do back roads and hi way too. She has been up to 75 MPH. I will be with her when we up the speed to 100. As I want her to ride my turbo bike at Loring. Starting her off at 100 and if She likes it then 125, 150, 175, 200.

Back