Whats so special about Hayabusa and riding in general? + More questions.

M

matas55

Hello.
I am not american so I don't know if I even should be using this forum.
I don't have bike (A category) license (only B car category) but I was always interested in sports bikes. Now been saving money for something new like: new car, bike/gear/license, new gaming pc ;D, gun or anything else like that.
After my studies and work, I might buy something.

So is riding a sports motorcycle fun? For example is it fun just to cruise or going at extreme speeds on highway or cornering roads or doing stuns like wheelies and so on? (Now I am not crazy and don't want to endanger anyone EVER.)
Been considering a sports car but the bike seemed like cheaper thing. How does it compare maintaining sports bike and sports car, fuel economy, danger to others and self, general expense on insurance and everything else..?

I really like Busa for some reason. I am not expert in bikes though. I heard its comfortable, fast and it looks so cool and nice. I also like how iconic and famous it is and the name hayabusa :D. But it doesnt look like a agile thing.

If I would get into riding thing, what kind of bike should I start with and should I invest in best riding gear possible, unused , armor?
I was thinking of used Honda CBR 250 R. Read the review and it's said to be good beginner bike. Sadly here in my country normal used bikes for sale start at 600cc everything lower is almost scooter level. I haven't came across a single 250cc. Once I get license I would probably want year experience and training for 600cc or more.

About the Busa. Why do so many people like it? Is it because of looks, name or customization? There are other stock bikes at similar speed BMW S1000RR? Do you guys drag race it all the time or do stunts? Is it practical in any way apart from racing on highways? Going to gym, at friend's place...?
A very important thing in almost everything for me is dead solid reliability, durability. Is Busa one of the toys that needs more maintenance than other bikes, does every part have to be replaced? Does the newest busa have all the electrical stuff or is it more simple? How good is it at this thing. Are there any other sport bikes that are more reliable?
For example Volkswagen Golf MK2. People might say that it's outdated crap. But it is one of the simpliest cars. Parts are cheap and easy to come across too. Low fuel consumption. It is really practical car for everyday use. I still see many of them today running if maintained properly. Someone I know has Golf mk2 with 2M kilometers and it stills runs being maintained. (I know it's not sports car, it's just example.)

How does Gen 1 Busa compare to gen 2? From what I read Gen 1 is faster but less powerful because 2008 gen 2 stock is limited to 300kph --- is that right? Also gen 1 has nicer tail. Are there any other differences, brakes, tires, handling, suspension, significant acceleration? Is there trunk in stock busa? Which one is more simple, more reliable, has less problems? Is there stock passenger seat, OEM, or is that aftermarket thing I saw with handlebars? How does fuel economy compare between gen 1 and gen 2? Are there any inside changes on yearly busas or is it just looks? Which one is tha best busa? And are most of you guys mechanics, do you fix everything yourself?

Ok I know I asked too many questions here but I want to keep it cleaner by not creating multiple threads. If its hard for you to read let me know, i will edit everything for you to easily answer my questions :D

I know I am noob on whole motorcycle thing but I am considering starting this hobby and currently researching.
Sorry for mistakes.

The Busa does everything well.
There are so many aftermarket parts available that you can make it better at whatever you want to do with it.
It wheelies and stunts just as well as any other bike, most people don't choose to use it for that though.
The gen2 is actually quicker than the gen1, only the 99 and 2000 model gen1 were unrestricted and capable of around 194mph stock. As opposed to the 186mph/300kmph limit on all japanese bikes after.
The restriction can be removed.
The gen2 has little more trunk space than the gen1, but the gen2 tail has much more room in it, so it's trunk can be expanded.
Fuel mileage is very similiar between the 2 also, but depends upon how hard you ride them as to what you get.
There is nothing wrong with 99-01 models, but 02 to 07 models had a few changes made.
The 08 to 12 is the gen2, it has a little more power, improved brakes, and a handful of small changes.
All of the Busas are great bikes and are extremely dependable. Many people have well over 100,000 miles on them with no problems and only regular maintanence.
As you know you are better off learning on a smaller bike. The Busa is also close to 600lbs. That is something to consider when backing a bike up or moving it when the engine is off.
You can also use the search function here, all of your questions are answered in various posts.
Most all of us here are happy to answer your questions too.
:welcome:

When I grow up I'm either going to be a race car driver or astronaut....what do you think?
English is not my native language. I make a lot of mistakes, old cynical man.
I would ask you how old you are, but I know you can't count that high.
o_O

my hats off to you, sixpack :thumbsup: (I was out of breath when I read the OP's post)

mata, welcome to the ORG. My 1st bike was a Kawasaki EX500: cheap, light and CHEAP (I lost count how many times I dropped it while learning how to ride). Best thing you can do: enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or its equivalent in your country so you will learn good/safe riding habits early on. And wear PROPER GEAR all the time (ATTGATT=All The Gear, All The Time).

English is not my native language. I make a lot of mistakes old man.
o_O

:laugh:I'm 34
There are guys here more than twice my age too, as well as half of it.

After alot of years racing motocross and the famous ATC 3 wheelers " ah the Honda 250r ATC what a ride that was" when I was younger. And having many Harleys. I never pictured myself on a sport bike. But then I rode a sport bike and all I said was I gotta get me one of these. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Hayabusa. The ride and control are above any Harley I have ever ridden. I will never buy another Harley. The passion for the Hayabusa is hard to explain. Unless you have actually ridin one. It's a Busa thing I guess

the old bike 2.jpg

DSCN0050.JPG

sixpack577 thanks.
I've been reading many threads here so a lot is answered for me. I would never get more than 250cc engine bike for first time, and now its winter, snowing and -20C (-4F) plus I barely got time to watch the news and have no free time at all. Guess I'll sign for A category in summer. BTW, is MSF courses global thing?

English is not my native language. I make a lot of mistakes, old cynical man.
o_O

Calm down a bit. He was only kidding with you.
Your English is fine.
:welcome: to the org

my hats off to you, sixpack :thumbsup: (I was out of breath when I read the OP's post)

mata, welcome to the ORG. My 1st bike was a Kawasaki EX500: cheap, light and CHEAP (I lost count how many times I dropped it while learning how to ride). Best thing you can do: enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or its equivalent in your country so you will learn good/safe riding habits early on. And wear PROPER GEAR all the time (ATTGATT=All The Gear, All The Time).

:laugh:Thanks, I know you'de have got him straight too.

sixpack577 thanks.
I've been reading many threads here so a lot is answered for me. I would never get more than 250cc engine bike for first time, and now its winter, snowing and -20C (-4F) plus I barely got time to watch the news and have no free time at all. Guess I'll sign for A category in summer. BTW, is MSF courses global thing?

Where are you? There's members from all over the world here, and military guys like Kromdom have been everywhere. They could tell you what's available for safety courses where you live, as I do not know.:beerchug:

When I grow up I'm either going to be a race car driver or astronaut....what do you think?
I sort of felt like it was someone pulling our leg too, or someone who has spent a lot of time reading oRg post.

After alot of years racing motocross and the famous ATC 3 wheelers " ah the Honda 250r ATC what a ride that was" when I was younger. And having many Harleys. I never pictured myself on a sport bike. But then I rode a sport bike and all I said was I gotta get me one of these. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Hayabusa. The ride and control are above any Harley I have ever ridden. I will never buy another Harley. The passion for the Hayabusa is hard to explain. Unless you have actually ridin one. It's a Busa thing I guess

Former mx guy myself(250B), and I love the 250r...4wheelers.
If there ever was a deathtrap it was the 250r 3 wheelers:laugh:
Threadjack over.

I live in Lithuania. City roads suck so no 300kph have been ever seen ;D. The highways are good though. And no moving speed cameras.
I just found this video. I though that motos are efficient in traffic but OMG my jaw dropped when I saw this
footage of motorbike racing through city rush hour traffic - YouTube[/url]

BTW, we got a kind of illegal street bikers community here in Kaunas city. This stuff happened whole summer every thursday
for a few years but now banned due to safety concerns and drunk out of control crowds.
| Karaliaus Mindaugo Lukoil - YouTube[/url]
(This one is a good vid.)

Lukoil - Kaunas Bikers 2010 - YouTube[/url] (This one is too long but you can skip to 05:40 ;D)

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Lithuania. City roads suck so no 300kph have been ever seen ;D. The highways are good though. And no moving speed cameras.
I just found this video. I though that motos are efficient in traffic but OMG my jaw dropped when I saw this
footage of motorbike racing through city rush hour traffic - YouTube[/url]

BTW, we got a kind of illegal street bikers community here in Kaunas city. This stuff happened whole summer every thursday
for a few years but now banned due to safety concerns and drunk out of control crowds.
| Karaliaus Mindaugo Lukoil - YouTube[/url]
(This one is a good vid.)

Lukoil - Kaunas Bikers 2010 - YouTube[/url] (This one is too long but you can skip to 05:40 ;D)

I bet, that's alot of drivers and riders out of control. I saw a couple close calls in there.
I wouldn't want to wheelie through that, eventually somebody's gonna run in to you.
It would still be a good time though:laugh:
If you like wheelies and stunts(as do I), you can do them all just fine on a 250, and just the same on a Busa. Just takes practice, and that crowd's not the place to learn.:beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your talking 250's to start. The only one I would consider is a Ninja 250. It's a great bike and you will get a couple of years out of it before you start to tire of its limitations. That is the time to evaluate your life position and responsibility and skills level to maybe get a Busa. You'll know and I bet you'll keep the Ninja if you can afford to. I got one for my wife 10 years ago and she didnt ride it so I started using it for errands, using it for fun (I think it has a 14K redline!), using it for commuting..anything less than 15-20 miles away or so. It's not the best at taking you on the freeway for an hour to get to the good roads like a big sportbike and thats where the Busa puts you in a whole new world.

You ask why is everyone so into the Busa and I'll say that from a logic standpoint, it has been in the game a long time. This is what you want in a bike a LONG production run. This ensures that you will always have parts and re-assures you that there is a reason it is popular. Same for the Ninja 250, there is a reason. I got one because no one else is making a comparable product. I had a CBR1100XX before but it got overtaken by the Busa in popularity and Honda doesnt make it anymore. I am ok with this now, but thats another story.

If you take a rider course and feel that it was a cinch, you might do allright on a Honda VFR800 also. This too was in production for a LONG time. The later years are pretty sexy with the one sided swing arm and its more bike than most people will ever need. Some consider it to be the perfect transportation it's hard to argue against the fact that it can indeed do it all. The only downside to going this route is that you may never get to enjoy a Busa because you might not need to. Then you will be depriving yourself of one of lifes secret pleasures that non-riders will never understand.

The Big Busa, heck what can I say.... when you got a handfull of throttle and the conditions are right, what a rush. Ultimate power at your fingertips...but ultimate responsibility too so you have to be in the right frame of mind and possess the right skills. The Ninja 250 will not loose a dime of value unless you crash it. Heck I bought mine dirty, sold it clean with some wax on it and made 500 bucks! Dress for the crash...enjoy.

I bet, that's alot of drivers and riders out of control. I saw a couple close calls in there.
I wouldn't want to wheelie through that, eventually somebody's gonna run in to you.
It would still be a good time though:laugh:
If you like wheelies and stunts(as do I), you can do them all just fine on a 250, and just the same on a Busa. Just takes practice, and that crowd's not the place to learn.:beerchug:
It's nice to watch but it's bad that there are no rules. Maybe someone died, maybe thats why they banned it there.

@Trent Ninja 250 seems good. But I heard that main downside is acceleration at stoplights, and carburators clogging/ no injection, something like that ;D
What about zx6r with 30000kilos on it. It's only thing not too expensive, not rotten and not scooter. GSXR600 just sold for lesser price. Though Not buying till summer.
Nobody told me about feeling of riding at cruising speed or 200kph+ :) What does it feel first time and when you get used to it?
Someone in the org mentioned side frames protecting bike from lowsiding damage. Is that really useful?

Back