Gen3 vs. deer.

No mention of bears? I've come up on two since I moved up here to North Georgia. With the first one, I thought, "look at that big black dog up ahead". He jumped the guard rail & ran down a steep hill. The second one was much closer. Coming around a tight corner, he was in the road about 40 feet in front of me. He ran up a steep hill, fast. Both daytime encounters. I'm always on the watch for deer, and keep the brakes covered as much as I can. I think a collision with a good sized bear would only piss him off, bigtime. I'd prefer not to find out!

I've seen quite a few black bears cross in front of me, and most of them in the daytime.
I have come very close to a couple of them too, and another a few weeks ago(he stopped just into the woods, and I stopped, I waited to see if he's chase me, lol, but he just walked off).
This was last night(in my truck), this is the biggest critter danger out here in the country(literally), and pretty common.

20220530_201828.jpg

20220530_201917.jpg

I've seen quite a few black bears cross in front of me, and most of them in the daytime.
I have come very close to a couple of them too, and another a few weeks ago(he stopped just into the woods, and I stopped, I waited to see if he's chase me, lol, but he just walked off).
This was last night(in my truck), this is the biggest critter danger out here in the country(literally), and pretty common.

View attachment 1651652

View attachment 1651653
Hitting one of those will stop you quick...

Hitting one of those will stop you quick...

No kidding, I've had them run across in front of me on cars and bikes, and come around blind corners to find them standing in the road.
But, that's always been day to day life here, dodging critters is an every ride thing.
I think growing up in the woods, and on dirtbikes gives you a skillset that you wouldnt have just from street riding.
And riding sportbikes on gravel at high speed, and through any off road trail with the ground clearance, really improves the odds in emergency situations.
Also, just being used to it.
No disrespect to the guys that don't like rough roads, and are afraid of hitting animals, but when that's your normal environment, you're aware, but pay it no mind, that makes all the difference.
My personality never panics either(it's the MX stupidity in me), it's "yeeeehaa!!" all the way, I'll fight the crash or close call to the end! lmao!

No kidding, I've had them run across in front of me on cars and bikes, and come around blind corners to find them standing in the road.
But, that's always been day to day life here, dodging critters is an every ride thing.
I think growing up in the woods, and on dirtbikes gives you a skillset that you wouldnt have just from street riding.
And riding sportbikes on gravel at high speed, and through any off road trail with the ground clearance, really improves the odds in emergency situations.
No disrespect to the guys that don't like rough roads, and are afraid of hitting animals, but when that's your normal environment, you're aware, but pay it no mind, that makes all the difference.
My personality never panics either(it's the MX stupidity in me), it's "yeeeehaa!!" all the way, I'll fight the crash or close call to the end! lmao!
Same thing around here-living in a rural area gives it's own challenges, less car traffic, more critter and farm equipment traffic, I never go too crazy around here as you can come around a bend and come face to face with a combine that's the size of a house.

Same thing around here-living in a rural area gives it's own challenges, less car traffic, more critter and farm equipment traffic, I never go too crazy around here as you can come around a bend and come face to face with a combine that's the size of a house.

Yep, it gives me the creeps when I pass oncoming tractors with a round bale on a spike(where the bucket would normally be), especially in blind corners.

When In doubt more throttle lol. Here some roads are like a Baja course. It sure teaches ya how to ride with debris on the road and get that throttle control down just right.

View attachment 1651652

View attachment 1651653
Which third world country was this in again? :laugh: I’ve only seen free roaming cattle in the streets back home. A family friend actually hit a horse at 70MPH in the middle of the night and totaled a land cruiser, an occupant lost his life and the other 2 (family friend included) spent a few weeks in the hospital

Which third world country was this in again? :laugh: I’ve only seen free roaming cattle in the streets back home. A family friend actually hit a horse at 70MPH in the middle of the night and totaled a land cruiser, an occupant lost his life and the other 2 (family friend included) spent a few weeks in the hospital

Ha! From my little patch of dirt, to about 2-3 hours in any direction, lol.
Alot of beef and dairy farms here.
Cows out are common, horses and sheep on occasion.
And sorry to hear about your friends.
It's rare, but people do hit livestock and die around here.
A coworker's husband hit a cow 2 months ago, on a Clean, clean early 2k's Expedition, with only liability insurance, and totatled it no doubt.
The cow mysteriously didnt have a tag by the time the cops got there, and was between neighboring farms, one with the barb wire fence torn down in the corner next to the road...and neither farmer had ever seen that cow/aka did not want to pay for an Expedition, as the owner is responsible.

Ha! From my little patch of dirt, to about 2-3 hours in any direction, lol.
Alot of beef and dairy farms here.
Cows out are common, horses and sheep on occasion.
And sorry to hear about your friends.
It's rare, but people do hit livestock and die around here.
A coworker's husband hit a cow 2 months ago, on a Clean, clean early 2k's Expedition, with only liability insurance, and totatled it no doubt.
The cow mysteriously didnt have a tag by the time the cops got there, and was between neighboring farms, one with the barb wire fence torn down in the corner next to the road...and neither farmer had ever seen that cow/aka did not want to pay for an Expedition, as the owner is responsible.
Same issue we Had where I grew up. Ask everyone in the area if they owned that cow/pig/horse/dog…………. Nope, never. I have to say though, I would love mover out to some rural area one day. Much rather deal with 4 legged animals than the two legged kind in the cities.

It's not uncommon to see the odd moose around here along with all the other critters running about....

Hitting a moose on anything at any speed sucks...I've seen the end result and it always ends the same way.

It's not uncommon to see the odd moose around here along with all the other critters running about....

Hitting a moose on anything at any speed sucks...I've seen the end result and it always ends the same way.

Sounds awful, for the people, and the moose.
I don't like to see anything suffer.
I have stopped and shot a couple possums that had been hit on the road.

Went to Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia last year and fell in love with all the areas around the Smokey mountains. If I could find a job like I have down here, I could see myself moving up there.
I left St. Pete 30 years ago. Quit riding down there after two collisions with cars. Moved an hour north of Atlanta, to motorcycle heaven! Been riding since. Now when I vacation in Florida, I just look around and say" It's just so damn flat!" :-)

I left St. Pete 30 years ago. Quit riding down there after two collisions with cars. Moved an hour north of Atlanta, to motorcycle heaven! Been riding since. Now when I vacation in Florida, I just look around and say" It's just so damn flat!" :-)
I spent a week in hiawassee, GA and it was a great time!! You are right, this has to be the most boring state for riding.

Back