Gen3 vs. deer.

I doubt he could have adjusted the trajectory with brake or throttle given he probably never saw the deer until it was 25 feet away. From the video, looks like he had maybe a tenth of a second to react before the deer actually hit him. Had the bike been traveling at about 35 mph, there would have been a reasonable chance he could have avoided the deer by braking. At 75, no way.

Moving at the same speed, I saw my deer from about 70 feet away. I chose to steer away from it into the oncoming lane because ther was no traffic coming. The deer just trotted out in front of me when I got there. I left a shadow of a tire skid for ten feet before the point of impact. I must have braked hard at the last second. This happened at the very start of the riding season. Had I more seat time, I think I would have chosen to brake hard immediately and that would have probably given the deer time to do whatever it was going to do without me hitting it.

Just my advice, I don't want to spread any bad mojo on anyone...but if you are having a close call once a year or more, I would find somewhere else to ride. After three years living here, I hit a turkey and a deer with my truck. I saw deer on the actual road several times while riding and had one very VERY near miss. The next one was a hit. It wasn't a side strike like the video, it was a front strike. The deer didn't explode like I've seen in other videos. I believe it busted through the top cowl, broke off the cast aluminum instrument cluster/fairing stay bracket and hit me in the chest. I can't say because I likely had been knocked out by that alone before I ever went body surfing down the road. I think I regained consciousness and crawled 12 feet away from the bike fearing it would catch fire. A couple kids woke me up probably five or ten minutes later. No broken bones. Some big deep abrasions on knees and calves.
Did you see my later post where I adjusted my opinion?

This area is his home turf and this isn't his first bike, one would think this isn't his first deer encounter but it could very well be...at least he didn't go through what you did...had he gone down it would have been far worse as it appears he was not wearing a jacket and tiny, thin appearing gloves.

This area is his home turf and this isn't his first bike, one would think this isn't his first deer encounter but it could very well be...at least he didn't go through what you did...had he gone down it would have been far worse as it appears he was not wearing a jacket and tiny, thin appearing gloves.
Yes, I believe I read your update. We agree this one would have been tough to avoid no matter what speed the rider was traveling at. It was a matter of being in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time. Same thing could have happened at 50 mph.

Why on Earth do so many Americans ride fast, or at all, with little to no protective gear on???
Even on warm/hot days I wear my usual full riding attire when out on the road . . and the only riders I see here in NZ with short sleeves, tee shirts, singlets, are Harley buffoons.
Sportsbike riders here all wear good gear, I mean, if that young guy on that Gen 3 went down at speed his arms would be skinless. Crazy.
Anyway, that's another subject for another thread.

Not so flash going around mild leftys either :crazy:

Why on Earth do so many Americans ride fast, or at all, with little to no protective gear on???
Even on warm/hot days I wear my usual full riding attire when out on the road . . and the only riders I see here in NZ with short sleeves, tee shirts, singlets, are Harley buffoons.
Sportsbike riders here all wear good gear, I mean, if that young guy on that Gen 3 went down at speed his arms would be skinless. Crazy.
Gives me the shits to the lack of protective gear thing.

A few years ago on a hot day I was sitting at a light when a young guy riding an RC51 pulled up beside me wearing a muscle shirt (minus muscles), shorts and some sort of sandals but he did have on an expensive replica helmet...he asked me if I was hot wearing all that gear and I said I'd rather be hot than having skin graph surgeries for weeks...when the light turned green, he launched that Honda like a rocket and disappeared into the distance...

Only a matter of time....

A few years ago on a hot day I was sitting at a light when a young guy riding an RC51 pulled up beside me wearing a muscle shirt (minus muscles), shorts and some sort of sandals but he did have on an expensive replica helmet...he asked me if I was hot wearing all that gear and I said I'd rather be hot than having skin graph surgeries for weeks...when the light turned green, he launched that Honda like a rocket and disappeared into the distance...

There's a guy in my neighborhood that just got a zx6r. Most of the fairings are missing, the chain is noticeably loose. It's so bad that you can hear the chain slap the swing arm when he changes gear. The only protective gear is his helmet. Just a shirt, short and shoes. He rides up a residential street at least 50 mph. He's in his early 20's

Mostly squirrels out today dodging me as I passed. Some birds too, a couple flew with me about helmet high for a few yards. Kinda cool! I hit a squirrel the other day. :confused: I saw a vulture today pulling meat from a road killed skunk! Musta been hungry!!! The odor was still in the air as I passed.
I hit a squirrel once on the concours14 and thankfully she went under my tires. I have always worried about hitting something with my car or bike and the poor thing getting stuck somewhere, forcing me to have to dig it or its guts out of my vehicle. That would not be a fun day.

Last edited:

And here it is!

I'm just sayin'

Years ago I was chatting with an insurance broker from Saskatchewan and 33% of the his customers claims for deer strikes were to the side of the vehicle.
Pretty hard to avoid that.

Cheers
ken
Yah its super common for the deer to run right into the side of your vehicle, even if it's day or night... deer sure are stupid creatures and we have billions of them here is sask.

I was on I49 in Miss, riding along about 100mph, a guy on a pretty red busa wearing shorts, a muscle shirt, and sandals pull on the side of me, looks at me, pulls a wheelie doing at least 140 until I couldn't see him anymore. Yes, some are crazy in many ways. I pulled a wheelie when I had a honda 160 back in the late 60s. Doing no more than 30mph, fell and pulled skin from my wrist to my elbow at 30mph. Imagine if that boy would have hit the pavement at140 on a bike 3 times heavier going 5 times faster!! I remember the ER doctor saying, I don't know if I can stretch your skin and sew it. I said if you can't what then? I'll have to graft some skin from you, I said from where, he says your azz:moon:, I never pulled another wheelie again. I thought if he grafted from my bum, I couldn't sit comfortably for a long time, and the pain, phew. I was stupid back then wearing a shirt with blue jeans and boots, but it didn't save my arm. Now, a ballistic coat, nice high-quality gloves, and ballistic mesh pants with medium-high leather boots even when it's 100 outside!!

Are you ready to hear the answer I’ve gotten from the coworkers that ride to the beach with their flip flops and swimming trunks already on? I quote: “if I go down, I want to die and not just be left like a vegetable the rest of my life” :banghead:
I just shake my head.

I was in a car and stopped at a gas station in St George Utah some time in the early 80s. Two guys pulled in and one of them was on a 500 V4 Honda. He was shaking noticeably so I asked him what happened. He said we were both cruising at about a 100 mph on a backroad and he hit a rabbit. Hitting the rabbit was like hitting a rock and the front fork compressed all the way and then popped him up in a wheelie to the point the rider thought he was going to go over backwards. His buddy was close behind and saw it happen but didn't see the rabbit and was wondering how his buddy got the front wheel up at that speed.

I don't remember what he was wearing but no matter what he had on it would have been throughly tested before coming to a stop.

No mention of bears? I've come up on two since I moved up here to North Georgia. With the first one, I thought, "look at that big black dog up ahead". He jumped the guard rail & ran down a steep hill. The second one was much closer. Coming around a tight corner, he was in the road about 40 feet in front of me. He ran up a steep hill, fast. Both daytime encounters. I'm always on the watch for deer, and keep the brakes covered as much as I can. I think a collision with a good sized bear would only piss him off, bigtime. I'd prefer not to find out!

Back