Gen3 vs. deer.

That sucks...although the deer was clearly visible in a great big open field...if it were me I would have been slowing to a stop-he had excellent brakes and ABS at his fingertips...

At least he didn't drop it but the repair cost is a lesson learned about riding in deer country...
Sounds like a fairly new rider, so probably not very many miles/years under his belt.

although the deer was clearly visible in a great big open field...if it were me I would have been slowing to a stop-he had excellent brakes and ABS at his fingertips...
An interesting physics problem ...
The question becomes whether the bike's stoppage would be sufficient to avoid contact entirely, or merely line up for a t-bone. Reaction time, of course (you can see the rider begin the reach for the lever).
Or should the rider have used WOT to get ahead??
I'm gonna assume neither would have helped due to that reaction time lag.

Bumblebee's comment about deer country is most applicable: a preventative strategy

That sucks...although the deer was clearly visible in a great big open field...if it were me I would have been slowing to a stop-he had excellent brakes and ABS at his fingertips...

At least he didn't drop it but the repair cost is a lesson learned about riding in deer country...
I have to disagree. With the shadows in the road and tall grass from the field and the turns the rider is looking to come up on coupled with the uncertainty and total inability to predict what a wild and skittish animal such as a deer…. Very few riders would’ve been lucky enough to have seen that coming. Glad the guys not hurt and the bike can be improved upon when repaired.

I have to disagree. With the shadows in the road and tall grass from the field and the turns the rider is looking to come up on coupled with the uncertainty and total inability to predict what a wild and skittish animal such as a deer…. Very few riders would’ve been lucky enough to have seen that coming. Glad the guys not hurt and the bike can be improved upon when repaired.
That's your right to disagree......

I've been in many similar situations and have never hit a deer.

A couple members have had deer strikes during the past few months @Mythos and @sixpack577 so I know things happen unexpectantly.

After a longer review of the video, missing that deer would have been a challenge..it kind of came out of nowhere. It's a good thing he didn't go down with his lack of gear...

When I'm in deer country, I slow down as they are so unpredictable.

I've never hit one though (knock on wood).

Last edited:
I've gone down after being hit by a Turkey Vulture, had a big deer do a 180 so close that I could of reached out and grab it's tail at 70 mph. Ran over a lot of bird's even Road Runners and I though they were fast LOL .
Had Turkey's hiding in the tree line then take flight and and deer's too take off parallel with me only to cross my bow.

I've had wild pigs run out in front of me, came around a corner doing 60 just to see 10 Texas Long Horns in the middle of the road, what scared me the most was being taking out by their horns. Came up on cow's, cattle, horses and I still think it's safer than riding in the city.

Whenever I’ve been out hiking around and seen a deer or one has seen and heard me, it always takes off away from me. Why is it that the noise of a bike seems to attract them? Should deer hunters carry a recording of a motorcycle with them?'
I find it's the gear you are in. 1st and 2nd really sets em off , 3rd gear they seem to take a second more to think about what to do instead of just running straight at ya. I find this with bugs as well. Something about the vibrational hertz at those gears makes wildlife want to take you down. I do know bugs will kill themselves on you in order to mark you with pheromones as a danger for other bugs. Suicidal but effective. Take one for the team. Since I started running in 3rd gear and high beams in deer areas I have not had any issues. So far it's worked. I seen them turn around and move away, before that It was a race as to who crosses the road first.

I find it's the gear you are in. 1st and 2nd really sets em off , 3rd gear they seem to take a second more to think about what to do instead of just running straight at ya. I find this with bugs as well. Something about the vibrational hertz at those gears makes wildlife want to take you down. I do know bugs will kill themselves on you in order to mark you with pheromones as a danger for other bugs. Suicidal but effective. Take one for the team. Since I started running in 3rd gear and high beams in deer areas I have not had any issues. So far it's worked. I seen them turn around and move away, before that It was a race as to who crosses the road first.
Not 100% sure about this as many different types of bikes and vehicles have been involved with deer strikes and I'm certain their vibrational resonance is quite different...

Not 100% sure about this as many different types of bikes and vehicles have been involved with deer strikes and I'm certain their vibrational resonance is quite different...
Just a theory. But so far in my "field" studies It's been good. Less bugs making a beeline for me, deer avoid me, or just stand still and let me pass. I think we underestimate the effect our exhaust and the sound they make have on other creatures. poop If I was a bug and heard a Busa screaming thru 2nd gear I freak the hell out and take one for the team lol. Bug life hahaha. It's vicious.

Just a theory. But so far in my "field" studies It's been good. Less bugs making a beeline for me, deer avoid me, or just stand still and let me pass. I think we underestimate the effect our exhaust and the sound they make have on other creatures. poop If I was a bug and heard a Busa screaming thru 2nd gear I freak the hell out and take one for the team lol. Bug life hahaha. It's vicious.
I'm skeptical on your field studies...

Lots of cruisers (mainly HD products) have been involved in deer strikes and many cars/trucks even transports.

I think it's the luck of the draw.

As for bugs, well, they are bugs...I look at the front of my pick up truck after a drive on the hiway and it is covered...

Time for you to apply for a government study grant.

That's your right to disagree......

I've been in many similar situations and have never hit a deer.

A couple members have had deer strikes during the past few months @Mythos and @sixpack577 so I know things happen unexpectantly.
I doubt he could have adjusted the trajectory with brake or throttle given he probably never saw the deer until it was 25 feet away. From the video, looks like he had maybe a tenth of a second to react before the deer actually hit him. Had the bike been traveling at about 35 mph, there would have been a reasonable chance he could have avoided the deer by braking. At 75, no way.

Moving at the same speed, I saw my deer from about 70 feet away. I chose to steer away from it into the oncoming lane because ther was no traffic coming. The deer just trotted out in front of me when I got there. I left a shadow of a tire skid for ten feet before the point of impact. I must have braked hard at the last second. This happened at the very start of the riding season. Had I more seat time, I think I would have chosen to brake hard immediately and that would have probably given the deer time to do whatever it was going to do without me hitting it.

Just my advice, I don't want to spread any bad mojo on anyone...but if you are having a close call once a year or more, I would find somewhere else to ride. After three years living here, I hit a turkey and a deer with my truck. I saw deer on the actual road several times while riding and had one very VERY near miss. The next one was a hit. It wasn't a side strike like the video, it was a front strike. The deer didn't explode like I've seen in other videos. I believe it busted through the top cowl, broke off the cast aluminum instrument cluster/fairing stay bracket and hit me in the chest. I can't say because I likely had been knocked out by that alone before I ever went body surfing down the road. I think I regained consciousness and crawled 12 feet away from the bike fearing it would catch fire. A couple kids woke me up probably five or ten minutes later. No broken bones. Some big deep abrasions on knees and calves.

Back