Gen1 2000 external fuel pump dead

LEDBiker

Registered
Hi, so I have a 2000 with the external fuel pump. It appears to be dead. Direct power to the pump does nothing. Power is coming from the relay. The dealer wants $1151.00+ Tax for the replacement. I can't just buy the pump, I have to buy the whole assembly.

I see fuel pumps, supposedly new on Ebay but I am not sure if I trust them. I also don't have and will never get paypal again.

What are my options other than ponying up the dough or trying to go through the trouble of finding a tank with the pump inside and swapping it?

Couldn't I install an inline fuel pump with the required fuel pressure? I understand it to be 43 PSI after the regulator. I can buy a 44 PSI inline pump? Would this work?

Thanks in advance.

You can convert it to the later internal style pump.
Quantum also makes a good pump in the $120 range.
@chrisjp
has a fuel pump conversion thread here somewhere, I'll see if I can find the link.

I can state that Quantum pump replaces 100% OEM pump with no issue. Proof is I did it two years ago.
On the picture, black blue one is Quantum, Gray white one is OEM. Unmounting everything ain't difficult, pay some attention and remember to clean also the Fuel Pressure filter that's not specified in the manual. FP filter lies below the Fuel Pressure you see marked in the red circle.
For the model see attached order I did

IMG_20221101_150518.jpg

FPR 01.jpg

FP.png

You can convert it to the later internal style pump.
Quantum also makes a good pump in the $120 range.
@chrisjp
has a fuel pump conversion thread here somewhere, I'll see if I can find the link.
yea my thread on this is for removing the internal filter and having an external filter with a working internal pump. 2001 and beyond set up

I can state that Quantum pump replaces 100% OEM pump with no issue. Proof is I did it two years ago.
On the picture, black blue one is Quantum, Gray white one is OEM. Unmounting everything ain't difficult, pay some attention and remember to clean also the Fuel Pressure filter that's not specified in the manual. FP filter lies below the Fuel Pressure you see marked in the red circle.

View attachment 1683364

View attachment 1683365

View attachment 1683366
Hi Quart, so I am seeing that this is a direct drop in replacement for the fuel pump that lives inside the external housing. This is awesome and exactly what I had been hoping for. I have the fuel pump assembly apart for cleaning and replacement of all the filters last year so I remember the little screen hiding under the regulator. Thanks for this.

Not to quibble, but I see it on their site, as I do on your order that it says, in tank, but it clearly looks like OEM external and under some headings that same part number is listed for other bikes as external and intank. So its a fairly universal pump it seams.

But you say you did it with this exact same model number and had no issues. Just drop it in and hook the wires up?

You may have saved my bacon so thanks!

View attachment 1683364

View attachment 1683365

View attachment 1683366
Quart, you were 100% correct. The quantum pump dropped right in and after priming the pump and injectors long enough to scare me it started right up. So thanks for saving me over $1000 on the OEM.

Back