gen 2 windshield replacement question

nybryan

Registered
OK i know this is simple but I'm confused. Removing the windshield and reinstalling. I take out the two silver screws and pull or is there something else i need to do.
Thanks
Bryan

Take off the upper dash panel.. that will help you coax the windshield out. Its a PITA!!! and almost feels like ur getting to a breaking point then boom! it comes out.

upper dash pannel comes off with the removal of the two plastic pop rivets?

Yeah yeah i know i should get a manual lol
bryan

I didn't remove the dash and had no trouble changing mine...a little soapy water for lubrication and gentle manipulation is all you need. Removal and installation is pretty much basic common sense.

OK thanks guys. I thought thats all i might have to do but when i start using my "common sense" i generally muck somthing up pretty well.
Thanks
bryan

Pull the two silver screws, then pop out the two inner push pins underneath the windscreen. You can then slip your finger in there and push the rubber retainer out. It helps to pull on it as you push it from underneath. After you get both sides out, the windscreen pulls straight back. When you put them back, start the screw in the rubber retainer, put some saliva on it and push it back in, tighten down the screw, reinstall the push pins and your done. Also, if you are putting an aftermarket screen back on it, be aware that it will fit extremely tight. Take your time so you dont break anything.

All good tips above. If you have not done this before, want to point out that the shield uses EXPANSION NUTS (I used dishwashing liquid to lube em up)

7893285a-2910-4b1d-9278-b04f1269eb3f_300.jpg

All good tips above. If you have not done this before, want to point out that the shield uses EXPANSION NUTS (I used dishwashing liquid to lube em up)

Same here... You will need something similar to get them back in place.

Yes you aint taking nothing off unless you remove the two screws and then remove the rubber grommets/nuts they screw into. Peel the edge of one back a bit and pull on it some. When more of it comes out grab onto it and pull it again. Keep grabbing more and more of it when pulling it out. If you simply grab and pull from the edges you will tear or rip them. Remove windshield. To put them back in simply thread the screw a couple turns only into rubber grommets/nut , give it a big lick and push it back into the hole. Once in screw it down.

Bryan, the pain in the butt part can be the rubber crush nuts that anchor the screws, when you remove the screws these rubbers stop the windshield from just sliding out. They pinch the shield between them and the hard faring. The way I did it was to losen the small side covers and position them out of the way, and take a pair of needle nose and pull out the rubbers toward the speedo side.( remember to remove the screws first,lol) spray some wd on the rubbers and it makes it easy. Reinstall them the same way because usually they are to swollen on the back end to go in the correct way, which is from the front. A little pressure and the larger end will slip through the hole in the shield and through the faring to be in the right place.
Install screws and don't forget the small washers, forgeting the washers is easy to do, don't ask me how I know!

Okay, I just installed a Zero Gravity touring screen on my brand new black 2012. I have ridden 1200 miles in the past week behind the stock screen.
I put on HeliBars last night .... noticeable difference in seatin position.

The screen replacement was easier than checking the oil level! It takes two to check the oil, but the screen???? Took out the two screws. Put them back in catching about one thread and pulled out the screw rubber grommet-nut assembly with my fingers. Pulled lightly and the stock screen slid out. Then pushed the new screen back in, installed the screw/rubber/nut assembly as one piece and tightened the screws.
Dark Smoke screen looks like it belongs there.

We'll see tomorrow how it works---I am 6'3" 240 lbs. Stilll waiting for the delivery of the Joe S. lowered pegs. After that I am through with the mods for a while. I first thought I would put on an aftermarket seat, but the stock seat has caused no pain yet...
I am also considering slip on mufflers to get rid of the 55 gallon drum-like mufflers, but I don't want a lot of noise, and needless to say, stock power is more than sufficient for a 62 year old sport touring rider!

Back