Gen 2 sprockets

geemik28

Registered
Hi all, I need advice on sprocket size and brands to buy, mine are going to be replaced next service I was told by a friend that 16/45 is good for street riding/wheelies, which is what im after.

I do travel on freeway trips on occasion, just wondering would this cause any damage if play with these ratios?

I am aware I also need a speedo healer.

does brand or material matter on what I buy?

thanks in advance

IMG_0137.JPG

I've been told going -1 in the front = +2 at the rear. For a Gen 2, -2/+3 is a huge difference, imho. My '14 is at 17/43 now but am considering +1 in back for track time.

16/45 would definitely make power wheelies more available.

Following this thread.

Vortex steel front and Vortex aluminum rear. Those are about the lightest you will find.

An aluminum rear will wear out faster than a steel but after two aluminum rears are worn out, the front is about ready to be replaced and so is the chain.

If your chain is old, change that too. Get an EK ZVX3. Stick with 530 pitch on chain and sprockets.

I can't advise you on gearing but I've tried fitting 18/47 and it's just a bit too big to fit the stock chain length. I'm putting in shorter links and I think that will allow it to fit with the axle all the way forward.

No damage will result from changing sprocket gearing but if you do highway commuting, you'll be running at a higher rpm which will cause you to use more gas and have more engine wear. I think your 16/45 idea will have you running at least 600 rpm higher at 60 mph. Gearingcommander will probably give you a good idea of your engine speed at various wheel speeds. I have a +4 rear on my ZX-14 and it;s about 500 rpm more at highway speeds. Your 16/45 sounds like it will be handful. You might get the front of the ground in 3rd gear at higher rpm with that gearing. +4 on the rear was about all I wanted out of my ZX-14 and it still can do 180 mph. That's the reason I'm going with +4 rear on the busa which I believe has a more aggressive primary gearing than the Gen1 ZX-14.

@geemik28

a 16 front sprocket shortens the chain´s life a lot - i suppose more than 1/3

and if you wanna make a sequence of lots of wheelies don't forget the oil pump then can suck air what will kill your motor quickly.

the professional wheelie drivers - as i understood - do a change to the oil trunk to insure a "bubble-free" oil supply - no matter what bike they ride.
or they change to a dry-sump-system what more or less allways ensures the motor´s oil supply.

@geemik28

a 16 front sprocket shortens the chain´s life a lot - i suppose more than 1/3

and if you wanna make a sequence of lots of wheelies don't forget the oil pump then can suck air what will kill your motor quickly.

the professional wheelie drivers - as i understood - do a change to the oil trunk to insure a "bubble-free" oil supply - no matter what bike they ride.
or they change to a dry-sump-system what more or less allways ensures the motor´s oil supply.
...and Frank, add in the wear and tear of the steering head and swing arm bearings, lots of wheelies shortens their life in half too...

Hi all, I need advice on sprocket size and brands to buy, mine are going to be replaced next service I was told by a friend that 16/45 is good for street riding/wheelies, which is what im after.

I do travel on freeway trips on occasion, just wondering would this cause any damage if play with these ratios?

I am aware I also need a speedo healer.

does brand or material matter on what I buy?

thanks in advance

View attachment 1635856

Thanks for all ur help everyone, I think I will stick to standard gearing for now.

I still got my drz400 I hoon around on and do plan to buy myself a turbo for Christmas anyway

Back