Gen 2 coolant overflow bottle on Gen 1 busa

Haley246

Registered
Looking for a Gen 1 coolant overflow bottle and they are $50-80 on ebay, but Gen 2 bottles are $15-30. Can I alter the Gen 2 overflow bottle to work on my Gen 1. I have a Gen 2 rear end if that matters.

Looking for a Gen 1 coolant overflow bottle and they are $50-80 on ebay, but Gen 2 bottles are $15-30. Can I alter the Gen 2 overflow bottle to work on my Gen 1. I have a Gen 2 rear end if that matters.
I commented on that very problem a while back. Dont seem fair these whippersnappers on these new gen 2 bikes get the same parts cheaper and make the old school pay more

I think it would fit, but the fill plug would be facing the rear of the bike...so no it wouldn't work correctly without alteration. Probably worth the extra $20 to get the original.
There is a member or two with both gen bikes...can't find the names tho...

I think it would fit, but the fill plug would be facing the rear of the bike...so no it wouldn't work correctly without alteration. Probably worth the extra $20 to get the original.
Your right, thank you very much. Its crazy the prices some people ask for parts made out of plastic.

Last member to post who is sitting on Gen I and II is member @Quiksilver
The Gen II bottle does not fit in there at all. Of course it can be done...I built a V-8 Vega once. Small block Chevy,Turbo 400,Ford 9 inch rear end. You can stuff just about anything into anything if you really want too. Hayabusa powered Smart Car. :thumbsup:
Your right, thank you very much. Its crazy the prices some people ask for parts made out of plastic.
There are some bastids out there that think their spare parts are made outa fuggin gold or something. Thomas...always look to see how old the ad is...and/or...just email them an' offer.
They are asking for 50...offer 25. They may want 25 bucks more than a Gen I bottle sitting in a box on the garage shelf.
Its Rubb's Policy..."Never Pay Full Price." :D
Rubb.

Last member to post who is sitting on Gen I and II is member @Quiksilver
The Gen II bottle does not fit in there at all. Of course it can be done...I built a V-8 Vega once. Small block Chevy,Turbo 400,Ford 9 inch rear end. You can stuff just about anything into anything if you really want too. Hayabusa powered Smart Car. :thumbsup:

There are some bastids out there that think their spare parts are made outa fuggin gold or something. Thomas...always look to see how old the ad is...and/or...just email them an' offer.
They are asking for 50...offer 25. They may want 25 bucks more than a Gen I bottle sitting in a box on the garage shelf.
Its Rubb's Policy..."Never Pay Full Price." :D
Rubb.
Thanks Rubb truly appreciate ya

gen 1 brand new thru ron ayers is $51
There ya go Thomas...some ammunition to throw at somebody who has a used bottle for sale.
Thanks 202. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

I just did a gen 1 to gen 2 swap everything except motor and forks including rewiring a gen 2 cluster to the gen 1 ecu... I didnt read everyone's replies so sorry if I'm repeating anything. The gen 2 is about half the size in terms of thickness. It sits on the right side and attaches to the radiator. The gen one is on the opposite side attached to the frame if I remember correctly and is about twice as thick . You can probably fit a gen 2 on the opposite side ..but its going to be backwards and you would probably have to drill into the frame to mount it. In my personal opinion, I would just spend the extra few dollars on a gen 1 and save yourself the headache. I went through alot of headaches to make certain things work on the conversion.

I just did a gen 1 to gen 2 swap everything except motor and forks including rewiring a gen 2 cluster to the gen 1 ecu... I didnt read everyone's replies so sorry if I'm repeating anything. The gen 2 is about half the size in terms of thickness. It sits on the right side and attaches to the radiator. The gen one is on the opposite side attached to the frame if I remember correctly and is about twice as thick . You can probably fit a gen 2 on the opposite side ..but its going to be backwards and you would probably have to drill into the frame to mount it. In my personal opinion, I would just spend the extra few dollars on a gen 1 and save yourself the headache. I went through alot of headaches to make certain things work on the conversion.
In fact I got so frustrated with trying to use the gen 2 overflow that I just swapped the radiator and oil cooler to gen 2 and I wasnt planning on doing that with the fairing conversion

I'd try running the bike without any coolant reservoir. Let whatever is going to vent drip on the ground and check your level in the radiator when cold. I'm quite certain my ZX-14 doesn't overflow to the reservoir much if at all. I never see the level change. The bottle is always on minimum. That bottle on my 14 is just extra weight.

(...) Can I alter the Gen 2 overflow bottle to work on my Gen 1. (...)

in principal - no (kind of rear end never matters at all)

unless you want to change a lot / a big amount of parts

gen1 bottle is on lh side, screwed at the frame covering a bit the clutch sleeve
gen2 bottle is under the rh fairing screwed at the radiator

and i guess that any change of the bottle and its place would bring no advantage at all

it makes no sense (to me)

in principal - no (kind of rear end never matters at all)

unless you want to change a lot / a big amount of parts

gen1 bottle is on lh side, screwed at the frame covering a bit the clutch sleeve
gen2 bottle is under the rh fairing screwed at the radiator

and i guess that any change of the bottle and its place would bring no advantage at all

it makes no sense (to me)
Yea I didn't think about that. Thanks

I'd try running the bike without any coolant reservoir. Let whatever is going to vent drip on the ground and check your level in the radiator when cold. I'm quite certain my ZX-14 doesn't overflow to the reservoir much if at all. I never see the level change. The bottle is always on minimum. That bottle on my 14 is just extra weight.
I'm with me bro on this one. 5 Busa's and 20 years later I have never seen anything come or go out outa that bottle. My Gen I's both just developed a sludge in the bottom of the bottle from no use. Maybe they get used in a hotter climate, IDK.
Yea I didn't think about that. Thanks
Skip the bottle Thomas unless maybe you've seen it fill up in your climate? Even then,run a hose out the side and not on the path of yer rear tire.Save the hassle and cost. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

I'm with me bro on this one. 5 Busa's and 20 years later I have never seen anything come or go out outa that bottle. My Gen I's both just developed a sludge in the bottom of the bottle from no use. Maybe they get used in a hotter climate, IDK.

Skip the bottle Thomas unless maybe you've seen it fill up in your climate? Even then,run a hose out the side and not on the path of yer rear tire.Save the hassle and cost. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

The bottle must help prevent an overflow but that's not going to happen unless the engine overheats.

The way it works is the radiator expels coolant to the reservoir when the coolant expands. When the radiator cools, the coolant gets sucked back to the radiator. If the reservoir ever fills up, the coolant drains out of the top of the reservoir down a tube and runs inside the fairing, the overflow tube doesn't even reach the bottom of the fairing to exit.

Remove the bottle and P-clip a tube from the filler neck nipple to below the bike staying clear of the exhaust. If the coolant ever gets hot enough to expand above the filler neck on the radiator, you would loose that much coolant rather than having it flow in and out of the bottle. Check the level in the radiator when cold and if it stays up, you don't need the bottle. You may need to top off the radiator with distilled water and coolant mixed 50/50 if the engine gets really hot and of course, the rear tire might be getting wet with coolant if it does vent. Coolant is probably not as slippery as oil but more so than plain water. It seems doubtful a lot of coolant would come out unless the engine overheats.

remv.resvr.jpg

Just curious why anyone would have to replace a water bottle?

Are you rebuilding a crashed bike?

The bottle must help prevent an overflow but that's not going to happen unless the engine overheats.

The way it works is the radiator expels coolant to the reservoir when the coolant expands. When the radiator cools, the coolant gets sucked back to the radiator. If the reservoir ever fills up, the coolant drains out of the top of the reservoir down a tube and runs inside the fairing, the overflow tube doesn't even reach the bottom of the fairing to exit.

Remove the bottle and P-clip a tube from the filler neck nipple to below the bike staying clear of the exhaust. If the coolant ever gets hot enough to expand above the filler neck on the radiator, you would loose that much coolant rather than having it flow in and out of the bottle. Check the level in the radiator when cold and if it stays up, you don't need the bottle. You may need to top off the radiator with distilled water and coolant mixed 50/50 if the engine gets really hot and of course, the rear tire might be getting wet with coolant if it does vent. Coolant is probably not as slippery as oil but more so than plain water. It seems doubtful a lot of coolant would come out unless the engine overheats.

View attachment 1626827
Coolant is like ice when you hit it with your tires...it's slippery as heck.

I'd day the overflow hose exits inside the fairing to dissipate the coolant a little before it gets out on the ground.

Just curious why anyone would have to replace a water bottle?

Are you rebuilding a crashed bike?
They can crack from over-tightening the mounting bolts.

Coolant is like ice when you hit it with your tires...it's slippery as heck.

I'd day the overflow hose exits inside the fairing to dissipate the coolant a little before it gets out on the ground.

The ZX-14 vents in front of the shift lever but that would be on an overheat and the bike probably wouldn't be moving. There was a guy who ran his 14 without the bottle and he said he had no problems but I guess I'd be pretty careful until I knew if anything was coming out and at what temperature.

Back