How to clean coolant overflow bottle?

cmeb4decay

Registered
Hey everybody--I have the plastics off installing chrome screens--pictures to come!! And while I was at it I noticed:
1) my coolant overflow bottle is completely empty--normal?
2) It has black build-up/stain in it

I plan on changing the coolant while plastics are off but any suggestions on cleaning out this bottle?
2000 Gen 1

not normal should be at least on minimum... prolly just old/never changed and cleaned. If it is durty, I would drain the system, and fill it up with plain water, and run it a bit... someone else may chime in about a decent cleaner... Otherwise wash it out good, then drain again and fill with 50/50. and make sure you keep your res bottle within normal limits.

I have never had to do anything but rinse mine out.
I change the coolant every year.
If there is build up, an auto parts store will carry some sort of rad flush chemical that you could mix up and put in it and shake it up and rinse out.

Take it off and shoot some hot soapy water though it, that should clean it.

Use ONLY distilled water when doing a refill or after a radiator flush. Without it, internals will corrode.

Check your rad for proper levels. The over-flow bottle should never be that low/slash empty. Watch that and other bits as you do a pre-flight each and every time before you ride.

Debris built up on the bottle,, sledge as some may call it is a result of a lubrication that comes in the stock coolant. As stated by others - Take that thing off and shoot a hose down it. Be as diligent as possible, CLR, Draino,, I don't know,, chain saw! :rofl:

Sorry,, I was being too serious and I had to break it up! :welcome:

Back