Gen 2 Busa / ZX14 / C 14 input

00sscam

Registered
Hello Guys been a minute :

OK i have a huge decision to make I have a 06 Busa love it 95% of the time 5 % is the problem (LONG RIDES) is the issue. Advil and 2 days off is needed after 150 mi ride. Who had ridden the ZX 14 or the C 14 and is the added comfort achievable with rear sets and heli risers on the gen 2 t. I really love my bike and want to find a way to keep it or get a gen 2 but i just can't deal with the pain on longer rides . 5'8" 230 lbs all my weight is shoulders and chest area . I know i am over weight no need to say or beat a dead horse. Any one with more knowledge in this would help . Short rides and commuting to work doing 12 18 24 hr shifts and riding home no big deal. I just get beat up on the long rides . Thanks for the info

Chris

Do you race it, Ride it over 100 or really 120 a lot? Do you like doing power wheelies? If your answers are no. See above post. No mods can get the Busa to compare to comfort of a stock C14. I have Helis and lower pegs and the C14 is like a Goldwing compared to the Busa. I am 6'5"..... but I can ride the Busa for up to 400 miles w/o too much cramping. 1K miles in a ride could be a bit much for me but I only do that 1x a year or so......

Comfort on a Gen 2 is about same as a Gen1. ZX14 is similar to Busa in comfort.

I have a GenII with buell pegs, Corbin seat and Heli's. I'd rather ride it than my C14 with a Mayer seat and Genmar riser's. I don't commute at all, just day rides of 300 to 500 miles.

The C14 is lacking in several areas. Suspension, no compression dampening, no steering stabilizer. Needs both in my opinion. Seat, stock not good which was true of the Busa too. I spent big bucks on a Mayer seat, will probably buy a Corbin to see if that's the ticket. Bars, next to the suspension my second gripe. Too far of a reach, the riser's help, but raise them more than they set them back. They are also too flat really feels like riding my DR650 dual sport.

It's not that I hate the C14, but am somewhat disappointed after digesting all the hype. The Busa is soooo much better that the Connies slight edge in comfort is insignificant. I'm 6'4" and 245. Go sit on one for a while, the C14 is a tall bike, at 5'8" the reach to the bars may be even more of a problem.

I changed to the Concours 14 and it is so much more comfortable. I went from hurting for two days after a long ride to riding for 2 days straight and not hurting. It is not as fast but if your hurting, your not having fun. Hope this helps.:beerchug:

I had plenty of miles on my 02 busa before I sold her. Just recently purchased a ZX14. Its a comfoy bike compared with my 02 busa. My busa had heli bars, ST screen, gel seat, and TL foot pegs. I recently put 200 miles on a trip hitting back roads on the ZX14 without any probs. The ZX14 has genmar risers and thats it for now for comfort. I recently installed buell pegs and ST screen on the way. I liked ergos of the 14 when I decided on the new bike. It was either the gen 2 busa or the 14.

Chris, have you done any comfort mods at all? As a LD rider I can tell you that a few comfort mods go a long way. First and foremost, invest in a good seat. With the stock seat on most bikes my a$$ starts hurting at about 150 miles. With a Corbin seat pain doesn't start setting in until about 400-500 miles, and it's not nearly as bad. My best day so far has been over 1500 miles and I do a lot of 1000+ mile weekends. Sure, that takes some practice, but it is doable. I prefer Corbin myself because it is very stiff, just like a good horse saddle. YMMV though, so check out other options like Russel day-long seats, Rick Mayor etc. Other mods that help quite a bit are bar risers, lowered pegs, and a taller windscreen.

Why have you not considered an FJR1300? It's more comfy, and handles just as good as a C-14. The FJR is a very capable bike that I have ridden for 14 hours in a day. I am 5'9" and have back issues. I have both and FJR and a Gen II Busa. My Busa has Heli-bars and Buell foot pegs. With those mods I can ride for 3 or 4 hours without much of a break. I can do a full day on the Busa, but I do pay for it the next day or two. On the FJR I can do a full day with about half the recovery time.

Go ride an FJR before you make your decision.

:beerchug:

Thanks for all the input let me extrapolate on my 1 pain area. It is the bottom 6" of my back just above my hips . That is all the hurts on long rides.

No i have not done a comfort mods so far . Up till this year have only been able to go on short rides and commute 10 mi to work . My son was born nov of 07. With baby sitters and grandparents on weekends i can get out for the day Wife is in school full time so she is always studying.

With my one area of pain will any of the suggested mods help ? I am just so attatchend the the raw power of our bikes i hate to give it up. Gen 1 Gen 2 feel essentially the same is that the case?

Thanks for the input will try

I have a feeling that if it is your lower back that is hurting it is most likely the "hunched" riding position causing it. If that is the case you can try alleviating it by using bar risers to raise the bars and give you a more upright position, and take some of the stress off your lower back. For $18 you can test this theory using soupy's bar risers - Soupys motorcycle parts,motorcycle lowering kits, SOUPY'S SINGLE STYLE THREADED LOWERING LINK,SOUPY'S DOUBLE STYLE RAISING LINKS,SOUPY'S KAWASAKI ZX14 LOWERING LINKS,SOUPY'S HORSESHOE STYLE LOWERING LINK,SOUPY'S NINJA 250 FRONT LOWERING KIT,HAYABUSA . If that doesn't help I'd try to get some saddle time on a bike with a more upright position, like a C-14 or FJR and see if that is better on your back.

Where about in Dutchess county are you? That's where I am originally from before moving to CO. Lived most of my life in the town of Poughkeepsie, then moved up to Rhinebeck :)

I would suggest maybe buying one of those elastic back supports you can buy at CVS then going for a long ride and see how you feel. You may just need proper posture.Much cheaper than buying a new bike.

Ever come down toward Westchester?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you want the raw HP with comfort, try a zx14. The ergos on the zx14 is what sold me. I went to the dealership and sat on the two. The difference in riding position was instant. So imagine what the comforst upgrades will be. I was in the position you were in. I had the busa and purchased a 07 FJR1300 a couple of years ago. The FJR never felt right for me. Just something about the bike. It felt very top heavy and felt like it was floating through the corners. Sold the FJR after a season.

Hello Guys been a minute :

OK i have a huge decision to make I have a 06 Busa love it 95% of the time 5 % is the problem (LONG RIDES) is the issue. Advil and 2 days off is needed after 150 mi ride. Who had ridden the ZX 14 or the C 14 and is the added comfort achievable with rear sets and heli risers on the gen 2 t. I really love my bike and want to find a way to keep it or get a gen 2 but i just can't deal with the pain on longer rides . 5'8" 230 lbs all my weight is shoulders and chest area . I know i am over weight no need to say or beat a dead horse. Any one with more knowledge in this would help . Short rides and commuting to work doing 12 18 24 hr shifts and riding home no big deal. I just get beat up on the long rides . Thanks for the info

Chris
yeah if C 14 is a better touring bike with a more rider friendly seating geometry imo. But also could there be some thing also in your riding posture or riding style adding to the strain on your limbs cause I am 5' 2" an 240 lbs. I am pretty poor physical shape an extremely overweight. I regularly go 250 mile cruises around Lake Okeechobee here in Florida and have never had issues.. Only thing I have put on the bike so far are the buell pegs to straighten out my knee just a bit. Going to change handlebars when I get some flow. But have a seat on the C-14 i am sure you will be most pleased.:thumbsup: Or sit on B king a few people here were Busa riders sat on them an switched an have no regrets:laugh:

Last edited:
Have you tried a BKing? They are giving them away and you get the GenII busa. It is the best of both worlds. $8500 for a BKing/Busa. I would try one out. If it still is not comfy enough, go with the other recommendations here for comfort. Riding in pain is a hassle!

Have you tried a BKing? They are giving them away and you get the GenII busa. It is the best of both worlds. $8500 for a BKing/Busa. I would try one out. If it still is not comfy enough, go with the other recommendations here for comfort. Riding in pain is a hassle!

They are giving them away because they are ugly.. plus it's not a great "touring" bike without fairings.

If you want the raw HP with comfort, try a zx14. The ergos on the zx14 is what sold me. I went to the dealership and sat on the two. The difference in riding position was instant. So imagine what the comforst upgrades will be. I was in the position you were in. I had the busa and purchased a 07 FJR1300 a couple of years ago. The FJR never felt right for me. Just something about the bike. It felt very top heavy and felt like it was floating through the corners. Sold the FJR after a season.

Sounds like you didn't setup up the suspension correctly. I have my FJR setup to carve corners pretty well. The foot pegs have kissed the pavement on more than one occasion. Maybe it's just not right for your body type or riding style.

I have a 14 as well as a first gen busa. After the test ride on the 14 I knew I had to have one.....its way smoother and more comfy for me on long rides than my busa.

Back