Gen 1 vs Gen 2

pcosho

Registered
I'm trying to decide on buying a new gen 2 and I could use a little help on the decision please. I have an 06 blk/gray that is paid for and is in excellent shape accept for the tires need replaced. I'm not into the speed rush that these bikes are known for, I basically bought mine for the look and style. The dealership offered me 6000 for mine(23,000 miles with a few add-ons)and I would have to pay 7000 differance. They also want all my stock parts if trade. So my next ? Is will the windscreen,lowering links,rear sprocket,tank bra,and midpipes from the gen 1 fit the gen 2's? Last ? Is the gen 2 worth me spending an extra 7000 if I'm fully satisfied with my 06 thats already paid for? OOOHHHHH decisions:banghead: Thanks for the help.

Hmm, tough decision. New technology / old technology.

The parts won't swap, well maybe the lowering links :dunno:

You're the only one that can decide :whistle:

Gen II is every complaint on Gen I fixed and more performance, but you said you didn't care about that.

And they grow on you. When they were introduced I thought the arse was ugly, but after a few months it looked better and after buying my '08 :whistle:

Besides, people are spending $6500-$7000 all day long for Gen 1's. Sell it privately and find a lightly used 08 for $7500-$9000.

I wouldnt be afraid to turbo mine with 23,000 at all, I'm only on my third rear tire.:laugh: Maybe I should change my screen name to grannybusa!:laugh: I'm thinking a nice 240 kit and and some hmf carbon high mounts instead of going back into debt.:beerchug:

I say turbo it! To be honest, a motor with 23,000 miles is probably better suited for a turbo than a brand new motor is. They build these motors with such tight tolerances, that an old motor with slightly greater tolerances will probably do better with a turbo than a new one. A turbocharged gen 1 > a stock gen 2 anyday!

If you're happy with your Gen 1, keep it! The Gen 2's are all fugly anyway...:whistle:
:moon: that is for that comment :laugh:

like most said above if you love your bike no need to change. myself i'd agree with most of what people said. Freshen up the motor do a piston kit while your in there and tires (just did mine for under $300 depending on your choice of tire of course) and whatever else ya wanted to do and save some cash. only real reason to buy the new one is if you want "new" like they say parts or payments...parts are more fun!

If you're happy with your paid off bike why get rid of it and spend more money? You're not a speed freak like some of us so you don't need to dump any money into the bike you have. Just buy some new tires, ride, and enjoy yourself.

Well I called the dealer and tried to talk him into throwing in a tank bra whick only costs 40.00 he said no way! This is the same guy that wanted my trade with all aftermarket parts plus my stock ones. So that pretty much made my decision. I'm keepin my 06. Funny thing is the dealer just called while I'm typing this and said "I just found a tank bra that we didnt have an invoice for so we can do that" anyhow told him to forget it! Thanks for the input guys.

Well I called the dealer and tried to talk him into throwing in a tank bra whick only costs 40.00 he said no way! This is the same guy that wanted my trade with all aftermarket parts plus my stock ones. So that pretty much made my decision. I'm keepin my 06. Funny thing is the dealer just called while I'm typing this and said "I just found a tank bra that we didnt have an invoice for so we can do that" anyhow told him to forget it! Thanks for the input guys.

I bet that dudes doing this :duh:

Good luck with that one , especially on a 23K motor :laugh:

So, GenII valve springs are up to the task ? :laugh:

Keep the 1299 and run 7k bucks of gasoline through it along with using the bucks for other maintenance items ,since your happy with it. The grass on the other side ain't that green

If you are happy with what you have, save your money and wait and see what this economy is going to do...

Back