Gen 1 engine noise

CbnBusa

Registered
Hey guys.. love the group here. Just looking for an opinion if I should be worried about this. On cold start up my busa makes a noise that goes away a little when you pull in the clutch while in neutral but sounds louder when you release the clutch.. any ideas? My buddy builds and races hayabusa he thinks it's just the common suzuki output shaft noise nothing to worry about.. anyone else have this noise? Thanks

I think is your clutch basket that is getting a bit loose. it happens to all Hayabusas

But yes your friend is correct that the busa has a noisy clutch to begin with. Pull the cover off and inspect it for slop and a loose center nut on the center hub. also check the back torque limiter as well.

Thanks for going through the trouble of making the vid but if you're pulling the clutch lever, I can't hear any difference. I've noticed something similar while pulling the clutch lever in Neutral but I don't remember if it got louder or softer. It is a constant turning noise that sounds an awful lot like air flow in a pipe. It's probably just that the basket starts turning faster after it disengages from the hub.

My CBX has that noise (common for that model, especially after 39 years and 68,000 miles) but my 06 Busa with the same mileage is as quiet with or without the clutch lever pulled. I'm not hard on the clutch, seldom use it actually and it's also always had Amsoil in it.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll pull the cover and check the clutch basket out. Motul 3000 is the only oil ever run in this engine as far as I'm told... noise seems to lessen when clutch lever pulled. Let ya know what I find!

Just inspect the basket real good and if the backing gear is not too loose and the basket isn't grooved to hell, check the center nut Grab the basket on the outer edges and try to rotate it back and forth on the shaft. What you are looking for is slop between the basket and the primary drive gear If it rotates more than few degrees on the gear, it is starting to go loose. obviously, if it rotates a lot (lets say at least 1/4 in either direction) i would say it is real bad and should be retired. Also look for deep grooves left by the clutch plates on the basket fingers. if it has grooves deep enough to catch a plate, toss it or you can dress it with a stone if it isn't too bad.

Some people they just weld them or they buy the Brock upgrade.

Back