Gearing help...

rashad

Registered
I am about to order sprockets and chain (maybe cush drive rubbers) from Charles at Street and Track..

Just wondering if anyone has experience with gearing changes and the already wrong speedometer on the gen1 busas...

I notice it reads higher right now... 60mph is like 54.. and on up etc..

Obviously raising the rear sprocket two teeth will go the opposite direction..causing it to read lower than actual..which could cause trouble for me.

My question is, has anyone figured out roughly what one or two teeth will do.. and is there a way to correct the speedo with simply going up a certain amount of teeth in the rear?

I know speedohealer is a good answer..except its 100 bucks for a box that sits there..and there is NO used one anywhere from what i can see... why someone would give it away with a used bike for free is beyond me when they could easily resell one and make 75-80 bucks. (hint)

Anyone have this dilemma before?

Im waiting to put on my 43T in the rear with stock front... ill let you know how it changes.

when i go 72-75mph its really 66(GPS reading) with the stock setup.. and i confirmed my GPS is accurate by pacing a civic yesterday with a digital dash :p

Ill let you know by the end of the week.

You can go up one tooth on the front if the rear is still stock size. That will put your speedo within 1-2 MPH at 60. Or, put a 190/55 on the rear. You will notice less pull when you take off, but not so much it will ruin the fun.

TRU..that doesnt really make sense to me... because when you go up in the rear, it should read HIGHER than it read before... going up in the front is actually the opposite of going up in the rear so that should read even lower than stock.. (which already reads low as pointed out above)

Can someone explain to me how that works?

Is your speedo reading high or low right now? I took it that your speedo is reading 60 when you are only going 54. Di you mean it the other way?

The stock gearing on the Busa will read 8-9% higher on the speedo than you are actually going. Goin up in the front, or down in the rear, 8% will make the speedo read closer to the actual speed.

If your speedo is reading 54 when the actual speed is 60, you don't have stock gearing.

I went down two on the rear and it corrected my speedo, made the bike a tad sluggish and long between shifts, and gave the possibility of 205 at 10200 in 6th. But the bike wouldn't pull me any higher than with the stock set up.

Get the heavy duty cush drive rubbers from smithbusa :thumbsup: chain and sprockets from Charles :laugh:

what is the "feel" benefit of heavy duty cush drive rubbers for everyday riding?

Also, you are saying the speedo will read HIGHER and more innacurately high the higher you go up on the back sprocket? So i definitely need a speedohealer then...

The larger the rear spocket is, compared to the front, the more inaccurate it will be.

Stock: 17/40 -8%
Modified +1 Front: 18/40 ~1-2%
Modified +2 Rear: 17/42 ~12%
Modified +3 Rear: 17/43 ~15%
and so on. The amount of inaccuracy will also depend on the tire you choose. 190/50 tires are acutally slightly different OD from different manufactures.

what is the "feel" benefit of heavy duty cush drive rubbers for everyday riding?

Also, you are saying the speedo will read HIGHER and more innacurately high the higher you go up on the back sprocket? So i definitely need a speedohealer then...

They last much longer and don't give as much as the factory set...

Before the turbo I had 16/42 gearing. When I was doing around 60 my speedo read 75 or so. Just get the fun gearing and save up for a speedo healer. Until then just do some quick math when u wanna figure your speed. Its not that big of an inconvenience and I definitely wouldn't slow the bike down just to correct the speed. That money could go towards a speedo healer.

thats the main reason why i want one.. i hate getting run over going 60 and having to speed above that when i know there are cops around.

k..just bought the rubbers from smithbusa through our classifieds..that was waaay too easy lol...

thanks for all your help bro.. this is a heavy deal.. im hitting about 400 bucks just on the drivetrain... 300 for cush, sprockets and chain and 100 for speedohealer.. i may hold off on the healer lol

Back