Gearbox problem

ernst

Registered
Hi guys and girls...if any

I lately had a backlash problem when putting my 08 in gear and pull away. Thought it was the clutch. Clutch was fine. Input shaft bearing was notchy so took it to a shop for them to check out. So all gearbox bearings need change out. Anyone had same experience? What could be the cause and what else is there to look out for.

Ask some questions, failed bearings doesn't pass the stink test for me.
Was the oil full of bearing material, were there chunks of **** in the oil, cut the oil filter open, etc.
Gen II transmissions can take a lot of abuse, not saying you don't have a problem and the cases will have to be split to be repaired.

If i put bike in 1st and pull away there is a backlash if i let clutch go. Dont know bout rest. Bike is a shop and im abroad. Technician says inputshaft baring notchy and clutch basket and all clutch components are good.

Gen 2 Busa transmissions are real strong better then gen 1's Maybe it was dropped on the shift side and fixed to sell

Who determined that the input shaft was "notchy"? Do you mean output shaft? Is it the shaft that goes to the sprocket and chain? Im no expert by any means, but I am confident enough that "all the tranny bearings need replaced" is not going to fix your problem but will cost you quite a penny. My friend against my advice took his gsxr600 to a shop who said he failed a leakdown test, took his head apart, told him he needed all valves replaced! and charged him $2k. I begged him before he did that to go to a salvage yard with me where a guy had a running motor we could have dropped in for $500. The shop didnt even change his timing chain! And, you guessed it. It still runs like ****.

Who determined that the input shaft was "notchy"? Do you mean output shaft? Is it the shaft that goes to the sprocket and chain? Im no expert by any means, but I am confident enough that "all the tranny bearings need replaced" is not going to fix your problem but will cost you quite a penny. My friend against my advice took his gsxr600 to a shop who said he failed a leakdown test, took his head apart, told him he needed all valves replaced! and charged him $2k. I begged him before he did that to go to a salvage yard with me where a guy had a running motor we could have dropped in for $500. The shop didnt even change his timing chain! And, you guessed it. It still runs like ****.

Yep,
I could belive that a bearing failed...but not every bearing in the transmission.
I'de like to know exactly what the OP is describing as "backlash".

Loose chain? Badly worn chain/sprockets?
Sometimes it's the simple things.

If the output shaft bearing was bad enough to cause a problem, I would think it would roar, or even have noticeable play in it if you grabbed it.

To the OP, there IS going to be some back and forth play if you grab the front sprocket(chain off).
As we asked above, describe the "backlash".

Welcome, you came to the right place.
Please define backlash. Is there a jerk every time you increase and decrese the throttle? Does it happen in every gear?

You mentioned you were the second owner and it has 18,000 miles on it. If it happens in every gear it may be the cush drive spacers are the originals. If the previous owner liked to launch from every stoplight or can destroy them. Depending on the amount of "hooning" that the bike has endured it could be the issue.

In those respects they are almost consumables.

Not saying you don't have a bearing issues, but it is something to check as they are high failure items.

I can't put links in forum runner but search cush drives and see if the symptoms sound familiar.

Our board sponsors sell better than oem parts.

Good luck.

Hi there peeps

Cush rubbers good still. Got word today that bike is all good after bearing change. Waiting on report and will share with you guys. Thanks for all the input. I can also not believe its just bearings.

Hi guys...so the final report is that output shaft bearing was stuffed and caused the backlash problem with shaft not being straight when putting torque on it. Does not make sense to me but ye..

Hi guys...so the final report is that output shaft bearing was stuffed and caused the backlash problem with shaft not being straight when putting torque on it. Does not make sense to me but ye..

If it was just the one bearing, then that's good.
Never heard of the output shaft bearing failing on a gen2, but, bearings go bad.
As long as no one was trying to hit you in the head and tell you that every transmission bearing was bad.
Glad you got it worked out.

Back