Clutch/Gearbox chatter

Barnster

Registered
Hello everyone.

I'm having some problems with my K5 Busa engine. Currently it's installed in a car but I've narrowed the problem down to the engine itself.

Here goes.

With the sprocket removed and the engine is being driven in any gear, there is a mechanical rattling/knocking sound coming from the gearbox area (the bit with the breather hole/hose). When the clutch is depressed, the noise stops and the sproket eventually stops spinning (as expected). Release the clutch and the sproket spins up again and the knocking/rattling starts again.

I have a sproket to prop convertor for the car application. When the car is moving, the same as above happens. When depressing the clutch the noise is still apparent, as the wheels are effectively driving the sproket and shaft rather than the engine.

I don't know not a lot about bike engines but am looking for some starting advice before having to remove the engine and pay someone lots of money.

There is a chance that the gearbox may have been starved of oil very briefly due to the crankcase breather being blocked which my help identify what's wrong for those who know more than me.

Any help welcommed.

BS

it might just be the normal chatter associated with the clutch baskets...or free play built in for the back torque limiter....
applying the clutch applies pressure and helps silents the chatter.

all of this presumes the motor is stock.

and BTW....blocking the crankcase breather does nothing to deprive the tranny of it's oil supply.

I suggest downloading the posted manual and getting to know the motor.
beerchug.gif

Back