Gaining Weight!

Ok... I will take a stab at this troll.

First my disclaimer... WARNING: working out and exercise can be dangerous. you can be seriously injured, crippled or killed. The opinions, stories and ideas presented here are my own and do not constitute a recommendation of or endorsement for any particular or general use. You should seek a professional medical evaluation before starting an exrcise program.  If you choose to workout, you do so at your own risk.

Next, my credentials... I am a certified personal trainer with the NSPA ( www.nspainc.com ) and I have run a marathon, taken two cracks at Mt. Rainier (working on my third one for Summer 2009) and lift like a mad man.

You are an ectomorph (this is your somatype). If you measure your wrist you will find it is on the thin side compared to some of the bigger boys. What does this mean to you? It means you are a hard gainer. Don't fret... Two-time Mr. Olypmia, Frank Zane is also an ecto... I am an ectomorph and weighed 145 pounds when I got married (I am 6' tall). Currently I weigh 190 pounds at ~8% body fat.

Do not simply try to gain weight. As an ecto, if you really pack on the poundage without proper diet and training, you will only add fat. This is death, as your LDL's (bad cholesterol) will shoot through the roof and your HDL's (good stuff) will drop drastically. On top of that, you will risk heart conditions out the wazoo and you will look frumpy on the beach to boot.

You need to SLOWLY add muscle mass, if you want to gain healthy weight. After you have gotten past your initial gain (I could pack 20 pounds of muscle on you in your first year) you will only gain about 5 pounds of good solid muscle per year. So, if you are 150 now and want to be a solid 180, it will take you at least 3 years of hard work and detailed planning.

If you are serious about gaining, Mr. Ecto... Then you must follow some simple principles:

1. Track your current calorie intake;
2. Adjust your diet to be ~60% carbs, 20%fat and 20% protein;
3. Remove ALL trans fats and limit your saturated fats (some are good);
4. Add ~750 calories to your current diet (do this each week until you find that you are gaining 1 pound per week);
5. Eat 5 or 6 smaller, healthy meals per day;
6. Drink a gallon or more of water per day (8 ounces each 30 minutes);
7. Weight lift using a mass principled regiment.

I currently intake 4,000 calories per day and am lucky if I gain 1 pound per month. I refuse to gain weight as fat, so I am particular about my intake levels.

As far as training"¦ If you follow some simple guidelines, you should have no trouble gaining muscle mass"¦ Lift heavy. Shoot for 8 to 12 reps per set (if you can do more than 12 reps, simply increase your weight by ~5%). Legs are key and squats are a very good leg and core workout. The more muscle mass in your legs, the more fat you will burn.

Good luck,
Rip

First my disclaimer... WARNING: working out and exercise can be dangerous. you can be seriously injured, crippled or killed. The opinions, stories and ideas presented here are my own and do not constitute a recommendation of or endorsement for any particular or general use. You should seek a professional medical evaluation before starting an exrcise program.  If you choose to workout, you do so at your own risk.

Next, my credentials... I am a certified personal trainer with the NSPA ( www.nspainc.com ) and I have run a marathon, taken two cracks at Mt. Rainier (working on my third one for Summer 2009) and lift like a mad man.

You are an ectomorph (this is your somatype). If you measure your wrist you will find it is on the thin side compared to some of the bigger boys. What does this mean to you? It means you are a hard gainer. Don't fret... Two-time Mr. Olypmia, Frank Zane is also an ecto... I am an ectomorph and weighed 145 pounds when I got married (I am 6' tall). Currently I weigh 190 pounds at ~8% body fat.

Do not simply try to gain weight. As an ecto, if you really pack on the poundage without proper diet and training, you will only add fat. This is death, as your LDL's (bad cholesterol) will shoot through the roof and your HDL's (good stuff) will drop drastically. On top of that, you will risk heart conditions out the wazoo and you will look frumpy on the beach to boot.

You need to SLOWLY add muscle mass, if you want to gain healthy weight. After you have gotten past your initial gain (I could pack 20 pounds of muscle on you in your first year) you will only gain about 5 pounds of good solid muscle per year. So, if you are 150 now and want to be a solid 180, it will take you at least 3 years of hard work and detailed planning.

If you are serious about gaining, Mr. Ecto... Then you must follow some simple principles:

4. Add ~750 calories to your current diet (do this each week until you find that you are gaining 1 pound per week);

I currently intake 4,000 calories per day and am lucky if I gain 1 pound per month. I refuse to gain weight as fat, so I am particular about my intake levels.

As far as training"¦ If you follow some simple guidelines, you should have no trouble gaining muscle mass"¦ Lift heavy. Shoot for 8 to 12 reps per set (if you can do more than 12 reps, simply increase your weight by ~5%). Legs are key and squats are a very good leg and core workout. The more muscle mass in your legs, the more fat you will burn.

Good luck,
Rip
Now that is some great advice!
thumb_up.gif

I'm still reeling over the 4000 calories/day.
Believe me... It ain't easy. Nor cheap!

I eat three breakfasts, two lunches, afternoon snack, dinner and evening snack. Eight meals that weigh-in right around 500 calories each!!!

On top of that, I drink 204 ounces of H2O per day.

I am eating a four egg Western Omlette while I type!  
banana.gif

I'm still reeling over the 4000 calories/day.
Believe me... It ain't easy. Nor cheap!

I eat three breakfasts, two lunches, afternoon snack, dinner and evening snack. Eight meals that weigh-in right around 500 calories each!!!

On top of that, I drink 204 ounces of H2O per day.

I am eating a four egg Western Omlette while I type!  
banana.gif
I can imagine! I can be hard to stay under the recommended 2000 cal/day but I think doubling it would be even harder.

WOW.. Thanks for all the info man. I guess it would be easier to have a workout partner, especially one who knows what they're doing. But I guess if your really dedicated, you can make anything happen. With that great info you gave me, its something that I'm definitely going to keep with me till I'm able to apply it (mainly the working out part). Thanks again
bowdown.gif

/troll

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
AM -->
KAI @ Jun. 18 2008 said:
1451766[/ATTACH] AM]
I guess it would be easier to have a workout partner, especially one who knows what they're doing.
A workout partner is helpful in sooo many areas... They can:

1. Motivate you;
2. Spot you;
3. Offer you criticism on form and such;
4. Help you to lift until utter failure;
5. The list goes on and on!

However, always remember that a spotter is simply someone to assist... Don't let this happen to you!

Be safe,
Rip

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

First my disclaimer... WARNING: working out and exercise can be dangerous. you can be seriously injured, crippled or killed. The opinions, stories and ideas presented here are my own and do not constitute a recommendation of or endorsement for any particular or general use. You should seek a professional medical evaluation before starting an exrcise program. If you choose to workout, you do so at your own risk.

Good luck,
Rip
Holy Crap Bro, that's more work than loosing...
laugh.gif

Though 190 @ 8% is pretty damned impressive, nice work...

I've never had a weight problem, nope, I've always had plenty to go around. I'm at 6'1" and 235lbs I'm still about 20 lbs heavier than where I am comfortable, and about 23lbs from my natural weight. I say natural cause with just normal exercise an diet I was at 212lbs. With extensive exercise and diet I was at 212, through basic 212, deployed 212, etc... Wasn't until my first desk job 6 years ago that the extra showed up and I'm not happy about it, though not all that concerned either.

But yeah, when my "ideal" weight was 150-205 according to the USAF I found myself EVERY YEAR being talked at by some POS Pencil pusher flunky about my being fat, the damn calipers said I was fat too. BUT... I would head over to the medical center for a hydrostatic dunk and drip and what do you know, well within AF BMI standards or at about 18%. Not stellar by any measure but healthy enough. Grrr....

So that's why I say "Natural" weight. The weight I had been since my sophomore year in High School or 212lbs. That's my goal and I am working (sorta) towards that goal (slowly).

Back