Gained 40lbs in 6 months -- Why? Inquiring minds want to know

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Howdy guys/gals,

Thought I would share. For the past several months I have basically been feeling like crap in addition to gaining 40lbs and NOT in a good way. I finally went to the Doc and found out that my thyroid has whacked out. Normal levels are .5 - 5.6, mine was 48. So since last Wednesday I started taking synthroid. Doc says I will be on it the rest of my life and there is not apparent reason for this to have happened, sometimes it just does. All my other levels were great. Blood work again in 8 weeks. After taking the meds for a week, I am feeling a lot better. I didn't realize that I was feeling as bad as I was. He said that as far as the weight gain, it didn't matter how much I exercised or how much I didn't eat, my basal metabolism was so low that I was going to gain weight. He told me to continue the healthy eating habits that I have adopted, lay off the exercise for 2 weeks and give the meds a chance to work then back to the Dojang. Anyway, pretty happy and feeling A LOT better.

geez I'm always trying to gain weight. wish I had thyroid problem lol.... well, maybe not an actual problem but a little help wudnt hurt. the meds will help considerably tho. usually take about 6 weeks to kick in.

family member on my fathers side which are all heavy had a thyroid issue and the meds brought her back to normal pretty fast. also had a doberman with a thyroid issue and meds brought her back to normal within a month or so.

My father has an over acting thyroid issue, which caused him to lose a lot of weight! His physical appearance changed drastically pretty quickly!
Glad your doctor was able to figure your issue out!

I had a thyroid problem, as well as low testosterone.... Sleep apnea too. All things that cause weight gain along with some other problems. Sadly after getting all my levels back in check, all the weight I gained didn't want to come off dispite my diet and exercise.

Had to go extreme and have a gastric sleeve surgery done about 3 months ago. Down 78 pounds already, no joint pains anymore, and perfect blood pressure. I feel great!

I had a thyroid problem, as well as low testosterone.... Sleep apnea too. All things that cause weight gain along with some other problems. Sadly after getting all my levels back in check, all the weight I gained didn't want to come off dispite my diet and exercise.

Had to go extreme and have a gastric sleeve surgery done about 3 months ago. Down 78 pounds already, no joint pains anymore, and perfect blood pressure. I feel great!
nice bro! congrats! dam 78 lbs! thats no joke! gonna make u a hellova a lot faster....:beerchug:

Shifty here, wishing you good health into the future. I am down 40 lbs this year to 165 and feeling great. If anyone is interested in Nutritional Ketosis Diet feel free to PM me. :D

Same. But I can lose weight anytime I want to. Exercise is a necessity and diet is where it begins.

Same. But I can lose weight anytime I want to. Exercise is a necessity and diet is where it begins.

Good for you, wish I could say the same. I was still working out 3-5 days a a week, with actually the same diet then that my dr approves now for post op. 2 years ago my budy just said nope, you ain't losing weight anymore.

Back