Future BUSA owner,but i got questions?  Hi to all!

BIGDAWG

Registered
Hey Everyone!
I just came across your board today and its awesome. I am in the early stages of making my choice on what bike to get. I fell in LOVE with the BUSA! SO with the advice of a couple BIG BOI board members i think I know its FATE! My situation is that I am 6'4 and 309lbs(and going down,no more football) and I don't want a cruiser/harley! Since its my first bike I would like any tips and advice you all could give. Being a BIG GUY I just wanna make sure this is the bike for me!! I would like to know about if there might be any fitment issues i might have? I wanna thank shenoyp & JCinTX for their advice. So I look forward to your posts and thanks in advance!!!

What is the max weight rider passenger combined the Busa can handle? I am 309 and my GF is 135, would it handle us?Can the suspension be set up for heavier rider?

How is seeing through the mirrors for big shoulders?

How do you know if the bike fits you?

Any other issues with being a BIG rider?

ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!

I have rode dirt for many years,this will be my first street! Thanks again and CHEERS!

Daryl

You should be fine, I am sure you can mod the shock to carry a bigger payload and mirror extenders are available on the board. Do a search here a board member was selling them for awhile.

<!--EDIT|paineless4u
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114239803 -->

Welcome to the board,

The Busa is a great bike, it is MORE than you than you can imagine.

It can handle you and your girlfriend with no mods.

You will have to make a dedicated effort to get yourself to where you can handle it.

Please do not even consider buying one without adequate training. And the basic rider’s course, although a good start, is NOT adequate training prior to riding any high performance bike.

This bike, like several other bikes, can hand you your wallet and intestines before you even realized they were gone.

This is not meant to scare you off or sound condescending; it simply scares me to think of someone getting this for their first bike, or even to ride one without advanced rider training.

And PLEASE do not ride with your g/f or anyone on the back until you have a LOT of miles and training under your belt.

Hey man,

Thanks for the advice. I have taken the basic course and am going to be taking one on one lessons with a qualified instructor. Its all about BABY STEPS! My Gf won't see any time until i got the BUSA locked down,that is for sure!! Thanks for your advice,I appreciate it!

Cheers!

Daryl

Other issues being a big rider ? One is how it looks to others while your on it. Busa is fashionable for large riders
biggrin.gif
It's proportional with how adverage size riders look on smaller sportbikes. In so many words, you don't look like a Bear on a tricycle
tounge.gif

Look at Sport Touring, Dual sport and Cruiser motorcycles. They also fit large riders well. Kawasaki brand makes some of the larger bikes to fit best. V-Storm, Triumph Tiger Type bikes need large riders to operate them. Want some real comfort BMW has got it figured it out best.
Busa ergodynamics for a large rider is comfortable. Legs are cramped but not uncomfortably. I'm same size as you. Can ride a Busa 24 hours none stop and no worse for wear.

PHEW!!!! Thank god I won't look like the BEAR ON A TRICYLE!!!hehehe I was thinkin of looking at the cruiser class but I just love sport bikes!!! Thanks for your post,its great to hear from the BIG riders!!! Cheers!

Hey Everyone!
I just came across your board today and its awesome.  I am in the early stages of making my choice on what bike to get.  I fell in LOVE with the BUSA!  SO with the advice of a couple BIG BOI board members i think I know its FATE!  My situation is that I am 6'4 and 309lbs(and going down,no more football) and I don't want a cruiser/harley!  Since its my first bike I would like any tips and advice you all could give.  Being a BIG GUY I just wanna make sure this is the bike for me!!  I would like to know about if there might be any fitment issues i might have?  I wanna thank shenoyp & JCinTX for their advice.  So I look forward to your posts and thanks in advance!!!

What is the max weight rider passenger combined the Busa can handle?  I am 309 and my GF is 135, would it handle us?Can the suspension be set up for heavier rider?

How is seeing through the mirrors for big shoulders?

How do you know if the bike fits you?

Any other issues with being a BIG rider?

ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!

I have rode dirt for many years,this will be my first street! Thanks again and CHEERS!

Daryl
Hey bro...
biggrin.gif

I do two up riding pretty often with my friend who is about 180 pounds. So Elenor handles 300+180 pounds when I ride... I have had abosolutely no problems. As a matter of fact I have not touched any settings of the suspension... its just fine!

You dont have to worry about it!

As far as the mirrors are concerned, you wont have a issue with that! I have a pretty large frame myself... and never have had any problems with the stock mirrors
smile.gif

My suggestion is ... if your a big guy, this is all the more bike for you! I have ridden r1's, fireblades and couple of liter bikes... they allfelt too small to me! You wont have anything to complain about this bike, except for some wrist pain in your first couple of days of riding! The pain usually vanishes aways once you get used to the seating posture. For me it took about 4 days to get used to the posture... and over come the wrist pains.

The only suggestion I would give you is... be careful about that throtle! Cause of your weight the bike will not go into a wheelie that easily... but still the throtle is very sensetive, and things go by pretty fast on this machine
biggrin.gif

I hope that helps...

biggrin.gif

How do you know if the bike fits you? [/QUOTE]

Thats pretty simple... sit on the bike and check for the following things -

a) Is the seat comfy, and wide enough to park your ass ??
b) Are your legs comfortable when you place them on the pegs??
c) Can you reach the ground with your feet comfortably when the bike is stationary ??

If your answers is posetive to all the above questions ... then the bike definetly fits you!!
biggrin.gif

Disagree with shenoyp about the mirrors. The mirror extensions that were talked about earlier will make a very good mod for you. I am not as big as you, but have wide shoulders and needed them to get good visibility behind without having to look over my shoulders. The Busa will fit your size quite nicely and accomodate 2 up riding with ease. If you need you can adjust the suspension, but not sure you will need to.

The only way to really know if it is comfy for you is to sit on one. Sit on it and compare it to other bikes available. You will find that you have quite a bit of room, but may need a little more leg room which you can get with some aftermarket pegs or rearsets.

Hope that helps.

This is great info guys!! Did any of you use bar risers for your set up? Just wondering how safe that is to do if needed? Does it change the handling of the bike? Thanks again!

Take a look at the Polls section of the board and you'll see there are a few riders here who match your height and weight.

There are some recent posts about the Genmar handlebar risers that should be of interest too.

You might want to consider getting lower footpegs as well, but try sitting on the bike and see how it feels first.

Welcome to the addiction.
smile.gif

This is great info guys!!  Did any of you use bar risers for your set up?  Just wondering how safe that is to do if needed?  Does it change the handling of the bike?   Thanks again!
You can try bar raisers...!!

I know of quite a few board member who have put Heli's on thier busa on it. Never heard anyone complaining about the handling...

I have a set of Heli Bars in my garage, but never ended up installing it on Elenor!! I have got comfortable used to the stock riding position...
biggrin.gif

Back