Fuel system recommendations for Gen 1 low boost turbo

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
As some may know, I bought an '01 with a Hahn kit (yeah, I know) already installed. Original plan was to check it over, tune it, and hit the track. Now the plan is to pull the turbo off the '01 (done), get it rebuilt this winter, move the turbo over to my '07, and get the '01 back to stock and sell it. My concern is, I don't think I can swap over the fuel system from the '01. So, I'm looking for recommendations for a mild turbo fuel system on my '07. I'm looking at 240-250 hp for next summer and maybe up to a max of 300 hp over the next couple years. I'd like to keep it clean/simple if at all possible. So...

1. What's the max hp I can pull from the stock fuel system.

2. If stock won't cut it (even for 240-250hp), what are the gaps? Is there a drop-in fuel pump upgrade that will get me where I need to be? Do I really need new injectors, rails, etc.. (hoping not)?

3. If there are parts I can use from my '01 that I can swipe (FMU?) would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks much!
Gonz

If you run the FMU then you can make 280hp with stock injectors but you need a good pump. Without an FMU, you would need a good pump and S2000 injectors using ECU editor you should be able to run around 260hp. With any turbo setup where you more than likely will push for more HP like most people eventually do, I would get a billet fuel rail, Bosch or Walbro fuel pump (255lbs/hr) and S2000 injectors min with a FMU. Ideally when you start reaching 300hp I believe in going with a secondary fuel system while still using stock injectors for good cruise and idle characteristics.

So I might be able to steel the FMU out of the '01 since it shouldn't be needed anymore. Are the pumps you're describing drop in replacements or inline/"helper" pumps? If the prior, are they direct drop in replacements or would custom piping/mounting/etc be required? If you have the model of one that is just a direct drop and go that would be great. I'd move the one over from the '01, but I thought I read that between '01 and '02 the tanks changed somehow and the pumps were different?

Thinking for now I'll leave the stock injectors/rails and then revisit once I decide that 240hp just isn't enough anymore. At that point I'll have a lot of other stuff on the shopping list anyway.

Thanks!
Gonz

I don't remember the 2001s being different than 02-07s. And I owned one but that was awhile ago. I think there may have been a change during the 2001 models which may have caused some to be different.

I use an intank Bosch 69420. This is nice upgrade over stock. It is for the most part a direct replacement with few light mods. Once you get the plastic casing removed from the pump it is dimensionally the same. The power connectors are different which will require longer wires and different connectors. Easy though. A very small mod to a clip on the pump. Other than that you will probably want to safety wire or zip tie the FPR retaining clip to assure it doesn't pop off from high pressures. There is a write up on one of the other boards about it but I think I have some of my own images to assist if you like.

You can also use a 255lb Walbro pump but I believe it is longer and will require more mods to fit. I don't know exactly what but several people have chosen to use it as well. Last but not least AEM has a 320lph pump that is a direct fit as well. I think similar to the Bosch unit. You have several choices.

The Bosch you can get for $89 now at Amazon.com. I got lucky and bought mine for $67 with free shipping there. The pricing has bounced around a lot the past few years. It was $150 at one point then like $100 then less now a little more.......weird like it's a commodity or something.

With an intake pump and an fmu, how is fuel returning to the tank?

I don't think I've ever seen a return-less fuel system on a turbo bike.

Good point on the returnless. I guess I was going back to the days of the blower I put on my my 2000 Mustang. Little different world. :)

Anyway, I grabbed a crappy picture of the pump on my 2001 so maybe someone by looking at it can tell me if it looks like it will move over without issue (or maybe even what it is). If I could just do a complete fuel system swap between the two that would be great. Worst case I suppose I just rip it all apart and see what happens.

Thanks as always,
Gonz

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a returning fuel system. The big line off the bottom is the feed, the small line is the return. Follow the big line, you'll probably find the fuel pump laying on the back of the transmission somewhere.

Man, you guys rock. I thought the canister bolted to the bottom of the tank was the fuel pump. So basically I just pull the whole thing off from can thing to fuel rail and transplant and I should be set. I still need to dig under stuff to see what kind of rails and injectors are on there. If they're not stock they're coming along. :)

Hopefully it's all bolt and go. Thinking I'm taking tomorrow off and gettin' dirty. :) I'll post some pics of the aftermath... I mean, transplant. heheh

Thanks,
Gonz

Don't mean to steal the thread away from the original poster but while we are on the subject of fuel systems, I have a couple of questions of my own.

I'm planning a turbo system at the moment and have chosen a AEM 320 Internal pump and AEM 1.1 Adjustable FPR. Would there be any issues with swapping out the stock injectors for MPS 62lb ones or should I look at something else? Tuning will be done via PCV-Pti and ECU editor. Max boost 14psi.

Cheers

Reibz

Hey Reibz
Afraid I'm not going to be much help, but going to steel my thread back for a follow-up. :laugh: Hopefully someone else will still answer your questions.

Anyway, my question is, is there an obvious way of telling if I have aftermarket injectors without pulling the rail off? I'm fine swapping them around, but would rather not pull the rail off if both bikes are stock anyway.

Thanks!

Back