Front tire removal?

Wildcat

Registered
I am trying to take my front tire off. I have a hex head bolt that fits and I am not sure if the threads are regular or left handed. I also don't know if I'm supposed to leave the other four bolts tight or loosen them? Any detailed help would be appreciated.

do you have a front + rear stand? loosen the pinch bolts on the fork leg with the hex side (on axel)...then turn out the axel...the other parts to deal with are the calipers + fender...the fender may be able to stay on bike. the service manual is available too ... the axel is lefty loosey / righty tighty

Loosen the 2 Allen screws on the right side (the side your going to put the hex in) Left to loosen - standard rt handed threads.

I would take the calipers off first. Get some string and hang them from the brake and clutch levers.

Raise up the front end, remove that axle and the wheel will come off.

Hope that helps.

Sitting on bike, reference left and right.

Remove 4 allen fender bolts (near fork tubes) loosen back two allen screws so the fender will pivet.
Remove calipers.
Loosen right side 10MM clinch bolts.
Loosen and remove right side axle nut.
Loosen left side 10MM clinch bolts.
Pull, remove axle as your keeping the front wheel balanced.

Great advice, I will add be very careful with the rotors. They warp easy and aren't cheap.

Brothers I need help! Not to hi jack a thread but I'm having problems taking off that front wheel. I've followed the instruction from previous thread and I'll be D$%^& I still can't get the axel out. Any suggestions!!!:banghead::banghead:

When I removed my front wheel I put a jack under the exhaust and raised it up (the wheel) so that it was just barely touching the floor.
That way there is very little pressure on the axle.

So you loosened the two pinch screws on the right side and then used a hex of some kind and unscrewed it all the way, right?

The axle should just pull out, if you have very light pressure on the wheel. Once out you will have to raise it up more to remove the wheel. I did it with the fender on.
You just have to raise it up higher to get it off (or on).

Note I did not loosen the bolts on the left side. If you did that it would not unscrew and then I could see you not being able to remove it.
Other than that it should come out. If you had to much pressure on the wheel that would make it hard to remove the axle too.

Hope that helps.

Gen I or 2? You will either have to raise high or take off/tilt fender FIRST (saves a lot of heartache when you pull the axle out and you can't get the tire out because the fender gets in the way)....Lankee's instructions are on the money.

Great advice, I will add be very careful with the rotors. They warp easy and aren't cheap.

Agree, all good advice so far. I would add: after you jack the front end, loosen your right fork pinch bolts, loosen the right axle bolt a few turns, then loosen your left pinch bolts. LIGHTLY tap your right axle bolt to help push the axle out an inch or so. Once you have the axle pushed out about an inch, you can grab with Vice Grips. Unscrew the axle bolt, and pull the axle out with the Vice Grips.

The whole axle is spinning when I try to loosen it. The left hex bolts are tight and the right ones are loose. This sux!!

What do you mean the whole axle is spinning? If you mean the wheel is turning then lower everything so there is weigh on the front wheel.
Then unscrew the axle so it comes out about ½ inch, then jack it up just enough to have almost no weight on the front wheel, then unscrew
the axle by hand and pull it out.

If that doesn't work you will have to take detailed pictures and post them so we know whats going on. It shouldn't be that hard.
Did you remove the calipers?

Never had an issue with the Gen I and they made the Gen II even easier. As you loosen the nut you gently tap it in pushing the axle out as you go. Best of luck brother.

Back