Front sprocket swap question

Cammed05

Registered
Putting on a vortex 17tooth front sprocket got a 16tooth on there now. have the old chain cut off and rear tire off and trying to get 32mm nut off with a 1/2 rachet but keeps spinning in gear, will a impact gun give it enough impact to spin off? i dont want to damage any internals? thanks

What year is the bike ? I had an '06 that from memory had a double nut type system. The outer nut came off using an allen wrench and the one against the front sprocket used a 32 or 35 mm socket. Came right off with the bike in gear.

Putting on a vortex 17tooth front sprocket got a 16tooth on there now. have the old chain cut off and rear tire off and trying to get 32mm nut off with a 1/2 rachet but keeps spinning in gear, will a impact gun give it enough impact to spin off? i dont want to damage any internals? thanks

You are gonna need a impact gun...and you should always loosen the nut before you take the chain off...and leave the trans in neutral :whistle:

Last edited:
Shouldve left chain on and had somebody hold the brake in neutral.

I don't know if I would want to throw and impact against my transmission. Esp a hd one.
Posted via Mobile Device

You may have to put on the new chain on first with the rear wheel...then put a 2x4 between the wheel and the swingarm (wrap a towel on it to protect from scratching parts) then use a cheater bar (piece of pipe) on the 1/2" ratchet :whistle:

Do you guys know how an impact works.

Basically if you took you ratchet and beat it with a hammer its the same result a lot of unnecessary shock being put into your tranny. I would use that as a last reort.
Posted via Mobile Device

Basically if you took you ratchet and beat it with a hammer its the same result a lot of unnecessary shock being put into your tranny. I would use that as a last reort.
Posted via Mobile Device

A impact with the trans in neutral will not cause any damage to the trans :thumbsup:

Wouldn't want to put that stress on the bearings or output shaft if they were laying on a table. Just unnecessary. It'll probably work. But so would a torch.
Posted via Mobile Device

I doesn't stress out the bearing...sometimes a impact is the only way to get those off. The first time is the worst of it, after it has been changed the first time it is much easier after that :beerchug:

There's a thing called cyclic loading. Its is the exact kind of forces an impact puts on what its connected to. Its not good. Get a bigger ratchet and put your new chain on just don't rivet your master link in. But put it together and just tape it so the plates don't seperate.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's a thing called cyclic loading. Its is the exact kind of forces an impact puts on what its connected to. Its not good. Get a bigger ratchet and put your new chain on just don't rivet your master link in. But put it together and just tape it so the plates don't seperate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you ever changed a front sprocket on a new Busa ???

Nope. I've probably changed and torqued more bolts in one day than you have in your life though.

I'm not saying don't. I'm saying don't until you have to. We use hydro torques at work and to take the bolts off we use multipliers and breakers. no impacts neccesary. Its for lazy people and people that need to move fast or in a cramped area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck when you have to change one...they are a b!tch :beerchug:

"I've probably changed and torqued more bolts in one day than you have in your life though."

That would not be a good bet for you to make :whistle:

Ill be changing one in a week or so. Won't be a problem.

Have you ever seen piping flanges. Some are 5' plus in diameter. Changing out an entire stations worth is a lot more than people can imagine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just because you've been doing something wrong longer than I've been alive doesn't make it right just makes you a geezer. Just ribs guy. Don't get mad. Can't put smileys in. I'm on a phone. Something you were probably around for the invention of as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I explained how to do the job without using a impact...I personally don't use one on my bike.

Not mad at all...hopefully some day you will get a clue.

If you don't use one then why would you reccomend to use one?

Get a clue about what. I was just joking with you since your acting so old. The people at the retirement home don't get my humor either though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
RTFM... it says to use an impact....

Back