Front Sprocket Removal

VFRcanada

Registered
What's the trick to remove the front sprocket? I'm trying to replace the chain and sprockets and I can't loosen the front sprocket. I have the speedo nut off already?

The pro's will be along soon, from memory there was a keeper that I removed with an allen wrench before putting the 35 mm socket on and spinning it off. I had no issues, very easy, but I've heard others had to use cheaters. I've never used an impact wrench, but those that do say make sure the bikes in neutral to protect the tranny.

The pros will be along soon; I'm not

if you have the back wheel and chain on...in neutral with the back brake on bust it loose using the lefty loosey / regular thread... i have also spun it loose with an impact other ways than the service manual states without consequence...you can hold the front sproket with a glove on and break the nut free

i just put a wooden poll through the rear wheel, got my 780 ft lb air impact gun out, gave it a few short blips, then a good 10 sec hit.

and after that didnt work, I got the breaker bar out and went full retard on it.

and after that didnt work, got the air gun out again, hit it for about 30 secs. it finally broke loose. :cheerleader: but that was the 1st time i took it off. ive taken it off a few times since and its been ALOT easier.

I guess I have to put the wheel back on to hold it. My impact won't budge it. It's been replaced a few times before.

impact for sure. When they put that red locktight on it. It takes about 15 seconds of grinding with the impact gun to break loose.

If impact won't do it (buy a more powerful impact gun, but) put the wheel/chain back on. Put bike in neutral (don't want to mess up the tranny) get a 2x4 or some kind of thick wood and put it between the wheel and the swingarm. Wrap it in an old towel or something soft so that you don't damage the wheel or arm with the amount of torque you're about to put on it.

Mine (before I had impact tools) took a 4ft breaker bar. Get your breaker bar out, if you don't have one, buy the biggest one at Harbor Freight for like $10-$15 and "go retard" on it. If that still doesn't work, you can buy some thick steel pipe that's 5-6ft and put it over the breaker bar as you cheater bar, but it shouldn't come to that lol.

The front sprocket torque is only 83ft/lbs, which is about what a car lug nut takes. I'm not sure why some people think they need 1000 ft/lbs on there.

i put the bike on the ground with someone holding the back brake and the front in a baxley, i used a breaker and it came right off. you guys need to go eat a cheeseburger, some wheaties, or something :laugh:

I got it off. Had to shove a wooden shovel handle between the wheel and swing arm to keep the tire from turning. It came off easy with the breaker bar. Manual says to torque it to 105lb-ft.

What's the trick to remove the front sprocket? I'm trying to replace the chain and sprockets and I can't loosen the front sprocket. I have the speedo nut off already?
Impact wrench, either a cheap electric from Harbor Freight, or air if you have access to it. I bought the Harbor Freight special on sale for 40 bucks I think years ago......its been a blessing for sprocket changes :thumbsup: It will turn a major pain into easy :laugh:
Remember to put your tranny in nuetral first, bad tranny mojo hammering the countershaft with an impact in gear. Don't worry about holding the wheel still while removing the sprocket nut if your bikes on a rear stand, no need. But have someone hold the rear brake when you use your torque wrench to torque the nut back to specs. And be sure you torque it back to specs......you do NOT want it coming loose :no:
I needed to edit...it looks like you've tried the impact already? I've never had a prob on any of my bikes spinning the nut off with my electric impact. Maybe have somebody hold the brake on with the wheel on and hit it good with the impact....

What kind of damage do you think I could of caused by installing the front sprocket with an impact and leaving it in first gear? Bike seems to run fine and shift fine, but just read this and now im panicking...

You can potentially damage some transmission components but I don't know if I have ever heard of anyone who has done any damage.

I have done it this way on all my bikes forever but I do use the back brake to help keep the chain tight after placing the swing arm adjustment completely on tight so the sprocket doesn't put all of the force to the trans.

You only need to hit it with the impact a couple of times to be sure it's tight. I have checked with a torque wrench thereafter and all is usually in spec or a little tighter.

If the impact won't do it, I sit on the bike, put it in neutral, hold the rear brake, and use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 3' pipe on it for leverage.
Works every time.
No stands and no extra hands needed.

Back