FRONT BRAKES LOCKED UP ALMOST GOT ME KILLED.

Lack of care for that bike, poor bike, needs someone to give it some lurv . . .
The brake fluid boiled due to seized pistos on the LH caliper, thats why no brake lever pressure for a while, until it cooled off.
Bumblebee is right on the money with this.
You may as well overhaul the rear brake while you are at it, and be kinder to the old girl, keep it under cover when not in use!!
I am home safe. This bike is well taken care of bud, as I stated it’s under a cover and under a deck keeping it safe from most of the elements but the cover isn’t long enough to fully cover the front wheel so when rain hits the ground it splashe/ onto the front portion of the bike. I just don’t have a garage to store it in and have been busy with work so I haven’t had time to give it a wash which is where I was headed after I ran a few time sensitive morning errands.

Can you do any of your own work?
Caliper rebuilds are Easy!
Save some cash and do it yourself.
Get some better pads with the labor money.
You can rebuild the master cylinder for around $30 too.
Given it's age and since you'll be replacing fluid, you might as well do it all correctly.

Brakelabs is a Great company for brake parts and caliper rebuilds too.
I just pulled both calipers off and sent them in to be rebuilt along with getting a new master cylinder.

I’m on the side of the road kinda scared to ride the bike home.
As would I.

Do you believe it’s safe to ride home? I have regained brake pressure and I can push the bike just fine so I don’t believe anything is holding the bike from moving.
No, but not dangerous enough to call a tow. Just ride it slow. ..real slow.

Use your rear brake and engine braking as much as possible....try to avoid using the front brakes
Don't go fast enough to engine brake. I'm thinking more like "engine coasting."

I must be getting older.
and wiser! :laugh:

I am home safe. This bike is well taken care of bud, as I stated it’s under a cover and under a deck keeping it safe from most of the elements but the cover isn’t long enough to fully cover the front wheel so when rain hits the ground it splashe/ onto the front portion of the bike. I just don’t have a garage to store it in and have been busy with work so I haven’t had time to give it a wash which is where I was headed after I ran a few time sensitive morning errands.
Glad you made it home safe and sound...

It doesn't take much to seize the calipers as they are exposed to the elements......ar you able to get one of those portable shelters where you are? I have a couple I put my lawn tractor and lawn equipment in and they are the cat's arse...

Dont mess around rebuild both calipers and the master cylinder, with OEM parts
You may may need to replace the left rotor as well

@Chitownbusa1991

in general : at a bike (and at all vehicles too) left / right ALWAYS is thought and used in forward sight / in the direction of travel .

picturally said - i bet my entire garage
that your issue are clogged pistons in the (left) caliper

i found that damn bulls h it at a ´99 busa a year ago at both calipers
see this page and its pictures

_____________________________________​

my own experiences with dozens of the tociko 6-piston calipers of the gen1 (´99-´07):
especially these brake calipers must definitely be dismantled approx. every 30-35,000 km and deeply cleaned.
it doesn't matter which motorcycle the calipers come from, because suzuki or kawasaki have 100% exactly the same as standard. sometimes dark gray, sometimes gold - the color alone makes the difference.

something about the brake pump:
as a rule, it is not to blame for blocking brakes.
the only thing that should be checked here also every 35,000 km, best while replacing the fluid every 2nd year, is the relief hole in the reservoir, hidden under the silver cap. (it must be bent aside for that and back after - otherwise you produce a kind of fountain in the reservoir when pulling the lever which then causes pollution around the outside - the DOT splashes out and soils the plastic)
this hole/drill must be absolutely free, because if it is clogged, the brake fluid can no longer flow back into the reservoir when the brake lever is released and the pressure in the system remains.
result - the brake becomes "hard" in the lever and then tends to lock (very similar to the above example).

not to forget the brake pads - they also have to be replaced at both sides (together with the new discs)

Last edited:
@Chitownbusa1991

in general : at a bike (and at all vehicles too) left / right ALWAYS is thought and used in forward sight / in the direction of travel .

picturally said - i bet my entire garage
that your issue are clogged pistons in the (left) caliper

i found that damn bulls h it at a ´99 busa a year ago at both calipers
see this page and its pictures

my own experiences with dozens of the tociko 6-piston calipers of the gen1 (´99-´07):
especially these brake calipers must definitely be dismantled approx. every 30-35,000 km and deeply cleaned.
it doesn't matter which motorcycle the calipers come from, because suzuki or kawasaki have 100% exactly the same as standard. sometimes dark gray, sometimes gold - the color alone makes the difference.

something about the brake pump:
as a rule, it is not to blame for blocking brakes.
the only thing that should be checked here also every 35,000 km, best while replacing the fluid every 2nd year, is the relief hole in the reservoir, hidden under the silver cap. (it must be bent aside for that and back after - otherwise you produce a kind of fountain in the reservoir when pulling the lever which then causes pollution around the outside - the DOT splashes out and soils the plastic)
this hole/drill must be absolutely free, because if it is clogged, the brake fluid can no longer flow back into the reservoir when the brake lever is released and the pressure in the system remains.
result - the brake becomes "hard" in the lever and then tends to lock (very similar to the above example).

not to forget the brake pads - they also have to be replaced at both sides (together with the new discs)
Yep, brakes are handy...I had to conduct an emergency brake yesterday (from a slow speed) when a postal an pulled out in front of me from a blind spot....

I found out in a hurry my bike sure has good brakes....

Back