No Front Brakes

05LimtedBusa

Registered
I am having issues with pressure in my front brakes. I have a stiff brake lever and then roll the bike 6 inches and the lever is dead, I can pump it right back up and the same thing will happen. I have bled until nothing but clear clean fluid flows free. I have new brake pads and back brakes are perfectly fine. I recently stripped the bike for repainting, I removed the front fender which called for me to drill the rivets that hold that front brakeline out. I haven't had a chance to rivet the line back to the fender but I am not sure that would cause an issue. I am LOST, I searched other threads but didn't find anything like my issue. Any help would be appreciated

The fluid has to be going somewhere?

If you do not move the bike...the lever stays stiff? But as soon as you roll the wheel it looses pressure?

The rivet shouldnt matter...sounds like air in the line if you are not leaking fluid.....or possibly need to rebuild your calipers. I would bleed the system again.

The lever will stay stiff if I never move the bike, but as little as a foot and the pressure is gone. I am not leaking fluid anywhere that I can see. I am gonna re-attach the line before I re-bleed just in case it is keeping it from bleeding properly or something. I really hope I don't have to rebuild the calipers, that sounds like it sucks lol

Sounds to me that you have a bent rotor. When you rotate the wheel the bent rotor pushes the pads away thus the free lever. Pump it a couple times and the brakes are back on.

Put the bike up on wheel stands so you can rotate the tire. Now, pump the lever up until it's firm. Let go of the lever and spin the wheel. If the lever is now free pump it up until its firm and go through the same steps again. If the lever is once again free, you have a bent rotor.

Spin the wheel and watch each rotor and you will most likely be able to see the one that is bent. Only takes one bent rotor to create this senerio. :beerchug:

Check out what Tuf said. If the rotors are straight, you may have a banjo fitting that is not seating correctly. We had the same issues with Demmym's bike when we replaced his brake lines. Turned out it was just a hair loose. Check your fittings and bleed the system again.

Check out what Tuf said. If the rotors are straight, you may have a banjo fitting that is not seating correctly. We had the same issues with Demmym's bike when we replaced his brake lines. Turned out it was just a hair loose. Check your fittings and bleed the system again.

I have a feeling it is something like that, after speaking with my brother i have a few more ideas to try before I feel beaten lol. I really appreciate all the good tips I have gotten so far, I am gonna look at all of those things as well. You guys are awesome :thumbsup:

put an dial indicator on the rotors and turn them to see if and how far they are out.

Try bleeding at the master cylinder Banjo fitting....put big rag under it.... pressure.. crack that fitting...thats if your rotors are not bent like the other one said.
Hope the best... for ya.

Hi,

agree with Tufbusa.

Here's my abrasive way to check a bent rotor without a dial indicator.
1) Pump the lever till it's stiff
2) Loosen the caliper's fastening screws so they are about 2...5 mm away from the bracket (don't loosen the screws that hkeep the caliper together ???)
3) Turn the wheel and wath the caliper. A bent rotor will make the loosen screws swing back and forth.

Btw. if so, you needn't throw the rotor(s) away, with a little patience you can re-adjust them again. Normally the aluminium made "star" is bent, not the brake disc itself. And aluminium is flexible enough to be re-adjusted.
With patience!!

Ciao
D1

Hi,

agree with Tufbusa.

Here's my abrasive way to check a bent rotor without a dial indicator.
1) Pump the lever till it's stiff
2) Loosen the caliper's fastening screws so they are about 2...5 mm away from the bracket (don't loosen the screws that keep the caliper together ???)
3) Turn the wheel and wath the caliper. A bent rotor will make the loosen screws swing back and forth.

Btw. if so, you needn't throw the rotor(s) away, with a little patience you can re-adjust them again. Normally the aluminium made "star" is bent, not the brake disc itself. And aluminium is flexible enough to be re-adjusted.
With patience!!

Ciao
D1

Back