Front Brake Problems

samurai1833

Registered
I fucked up and took off without removing my Kryptonite Brake Lock.

After removing said lock the front brake had no pressure at all. So I rode home with just the back brake.

When I shut the bike down the pressure had returned some and would stop the bike when I rolled it into the garage.

The system has no leaks, the fluid is full in the caliper, and there was no damage to the plastic on the fender indicating a light hit.

Has this happened to any of you, if so what was damaged? Thanks.

Haven't done it myself, but if you can't see any damage to the brakes I'm wondering if the disk lock got jammed up against the caliper and disk in such a way that it forced the brake pads back into the caliper somehow.

That would make the brakes soft until you pumped them a few times and they moved back out and the "slack" was taken up.

I'm just guessing though.

Keep checking them (and the fluid level) to make sure you haven't caused any lasting damage. You don't want to be riding with only a back brake.

you got lucky...

check the mounting points for the calipers very carefully(for hairline cracks) and the rotor for trueness,the rotor mounting points for damage...etc etc...

I suggest youcheck if the calipers are positioned properly on the rotor...

Very lucky, and how do you forget to take the lock off?
rock.gif

I had the same type of problem. I could sit and pump up the brakes, but down the road had nothing. It was a bent rotor, once you start moving it pushes the pads back so you have to pump them up again. Check the rotor and you'll find the problem, maybe??

Back